A real help

Review by ChunkyC posted 02-21-2011 05:07 AM 2333 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A real help No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchsed the I-Socket from Rockler for $29.99 + Free shipping.

The instructions and web site say that it’s for a vacuums and dust collectors. I personally wouldn’t use it on my 2 HP Dust Collector. It just doesn’t look like it’s made well enough to handle that much inrush current.

I purchased the I-Socket for one thing, using with my compound sliding miter saw. It works just as advertised. When you squeeze the trigger on the miter saw, the vac starts right off. After the cut, the vacuum then runs for about 10 seconds longer. I also used it with my Dewalt Biscuit Jointer. Again, it works just as advertised. I’m not sure what the current threshold is on the detecting circuitry but I’m guessing it work with about whatever you plug into it.

I’m giving it 4 stars. I’m knocking a star off because I couldn’t recommend that anyone use this on their 2 HP + dust collector / system.

From Rockler’s web site

Control two tools at the same time! Now you don’t have to remember to power the vacuum on and off during every cut — the i-socket does it for you. Automatically turns on the wet/dry vacuum or dust collector when the tool is powered on, and continues running for an additional 7 seconds to clean out the inlet pipe after the tool is powered off.

• On-board micro-controller controls the in-rush of current and delay off.
  • Designed for medium-duty work loads in the home workshop and on the job site.
  • Can be used with any standard 15 amp/125 volt wet/dry vacuum or dust collector system (max 1.0 HP) or power feed unit.
  • For indoor use only.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

#1 posted 02-21-2011 05:09 AM

DoH! It even says Max of 1 HP. So there you have it.

View devann's profile

devann

#2 posted 02-21-2011 05:39 AM

Cool post, been wondering about one of these. I emailed Black & Decker years ago about putting something like this on my mitersaw base. One plug for the vacum, one plug for the light. You know kinda like what you find on the back of your stereo.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

#3 posted 02-21-2011 06:57 AM

I never considered using for a light. I like the way you think Darrell!

View gko's profile

gko

81 posts in 1998 days

#4 posted 02-21-2011 09:14 AM

Just bought one from WC last week and love it. Hooked it up to my table saw, sander, miter saw and I wonder how I’ve worked without it. No need to remember to turn on the vacuum every time you turn on the device you’re working on.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View Adam's profile

Adam

46 posts in 1907 days

#6 posted 02-21-2011 10:54 PM

The ground prong on mine pushed into the housing after a couple of uses. Sears has one that is more solidly built and has 2 switched outlets. Don’t remember for sure but I think it was cheaper also.

Adam

View Steven Davis's profile

Steven Davis

#7 posted 02-21-2011 11:15 PM

Great idea. This one looks interesting as well:

iVac Automated Vacuum Switch

-- Steven Davis - see me at http://www.playnoevil.com/ and http://www.stelgames.com/

View pshie's profile

pshie

#8 posted 02-22-2011 12:49 AM

Mine broke with a few uses… I was pulling the plug out from the switch and it pulled out the cover and shorted the whole thing… before it broke, it was pretty cool.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#9 posted 02-22-2011 05:29 AM

I have owned one of these for about 5 years and it works flawlessly and is still in one piece. Use it on my ROS, pocket screw jig, biscuit joiner, chop saw. Great review..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View skreck's profile

skreck

#10 posted 02-22-2011 01:45 PM

Hey bigike, does that first system take one box for your dust collection and one for ever tool you want to work with it?

View Cory's profile

Cory

#11 posted 02-22-2011 08:59 PM

FYI: Sears sells a similar unit for about $20. I’ve had two for a couple of years and they work very well.

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.

View Sanity's profile

Sanity

#12 posted 02-22-2011 09:09 PM

I bought one of these a week ago. I see nothing on the instructions related to a max of 1 HP. The output is rated 15A, 120Vac, 60Hz, 1875W max.

I first tested it with my lathe when I was doing some sanding, I had the speed very low and clearly it was not pulling enough juice to trigger the vacuum to start. Once I increased the speed of the lathe it worked fine.

I am happy with it but I wish there was a manual overide so that I could continue to clean-up without having to change the outlet (or having to leave the lathe or whatever running).

-- Stuart

#13 posted 02-23-2011 01:00 AM

According the NEC Table 430.248, 1 HP is 16 A ipso facto it is rated for 1 hp it’s just not specifically call out on the unit.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1928 days

#14 posted 02-23-2011 01:08 AM

I think Eric_S uses one, and also seems to like it !

-- -- Neil

View Sanity's profile

Sanity

#15 posted 02-23-2011 02:10 AM

You are correct – my assumption was anything that runs on a typical household circuit. My Jet 22-44 drum sander is rated as 1 3/4 HP and it pulls 15.5 amps on 120V circuit. However from DGC products website:
Product Use
The i-Socket Autoswitch is not intended for commercial use. It was designed to be used in the home workshop on a standard 120v/15amp house outlet. If used on a 20amp breaker the i-Socket Autoswitch will function properly but all tool and vacuum standards must still comply with the 120v/15amp ratings.

Tool Port:
Max. motor rating should not exceed 120v, 15amps, 60 Hz, 1875 Watts.
Table saws from portable to contractor type.
Miter Saws both 10” and 12”.
Any hand sander palm, DA, belt sander.
Routers.
Portable joiners or planers.
Vacuum Port:
Any standard shop type vacuum will run on the i-Socket.
Vacuum motor HP should not exceed 1875 Watts.
Dust collector motor should be rated at 120v/15amps and HP should not exceed 1875 Watts.
Power feeders can also be controlled from the vacuum port.
Example of the most common configurations:
Tool Port: 12” Compound Miter Saw rated at 120v/13.2 amps.
Vacuum Port: Shop type wet/dry vacuum at 6.5 hp “Peak” rated at 120v/11 amps.

OR

Tool Port: Contractors table saw rated at 120v/13.4 amps.
Vacuum Port: Dust collector rated at 120v/15 amps.

-- Stuart