Unreliable metal detector -- save your money for a good one!

Review by Hawgnutz posted 2365 days ago 1762 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Unreliable metal detector --  save your money for a good one! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This metal detector is reasonably priced at under $20, but you get what you pay for. When I tested this on a known area with metal under the wood (my workbench has screws attaching face to top), the detector failed to detect a #10 screw just under the wood’s surface! This is totally unacceptable. My jointer, planer. or bandsaw blades are too expensive to chance on this unreliable detector.

A magnetic stud finder is much more reliable than this! Save your money for the Lumber Wizard, which I got it on sale this Christmas season for $50. That is money well spent. This Little Wizard is NOT!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

we bought one of these with xmas money (or I should say “I” bought one of these…. haven’t used it yet except to pass it over the drywall screws in the wall .)
Dang… will have to remember your critique when we go to use it.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

Debbie, watch for a sale at Rockler for the Lumber Wizard! It works much, much betetr and I got mine on sale for $49, plus free shipping!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View BillCo's profile

BillCo

Yes, I agree with Mr. HawgNutz. I have the Little Wizard – bought it 4 years ago from Lee Valley – and it is sub-optimal at best. While it finds most metal items, the ‘beep’ feature is intermittent and the sensitivity adjustment is not reliable. I recommend against the product.

-- Sawmill Lodge - http://sawmill-lodge.com

View Eloyambres's profile

Eloyambres

Now differnt people have different kinds of hobbies, for example some people like swimming, some people like running and some people like hiking. However now a lot of people have developed a new kind of hobby, it is metal detecting and there are also device that have been invented to help people with their hobby such as the gold metal detectors and the metal detectors and so on and you also can make a good choice as there are many types that are provided for you to choose.

View MichaelA's profile

MichaelA

The Falcon MD20 is an excellent choice as we use it for our gold,silver,copper or any native metal ore. It also will tell you if its iron. It is so sensitive that it will still sound off when you can’t even see the metal. It is expensive but on my last elm horse carving. The stump was over 30” dia. The falcon spotted (6) 20 penny nails,8” deep that were bent over. This saved ruining a 40mm chisel at $150.00 a pop!!!

-- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. "Helen Keller"