Essential Tool for Perfect Results

Review by thiel posted 02-14-2011 04:35 AM 2744 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Essential Tool for Perfect Results No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I use a Grizzly 10 inch (T10010 I think..) wet grinder to sharpen my tools. It’s a barebones machine which approximates similar tools from tormek and jet, and I’ve found its performance just fine. As I get better and better at using my edge tools, I’ve needed to get better at sharpening them, so I’ve invested some time in getting my rig up to final form. Here are some things I’ve learned:

—It’s worth it to invest in a jig to hold your chisel/iron exactly 90 degrees to the stone.

—Conversely, I’ve found my eyes are just fine for finding the right angle to put a chisel/iron into said jig to match the existing bevel.

—... but if the face of your stone is not perfectly parallel with the guide arm of the grinder, you’re out of luck, and you’ll be grinding angles and parallelograms into your tools.

Enter this jig: it ensues that your Tormek/Grizzly/Jet stone is perfectly parallel to the guide rod on your sharpener. To true the stone to the guide arm it just takes a minute or so: 30 seconds for rough surface which will remove steel quickly, or 90 seconds if you want a fine finish. Works perfectly and it’s super easy.

Along the way I’ve learned two tools which dont do the job:

—A “T” shaped diamond dressing tool. Grinds the stone, but it’s essentially impossible to keep it square… at which point you’re doing a lot of freehand work—just to get inferior results.

—A “dressing stone” ... the one I have was sold with the features of ‘leveling and dressing a grinding stone’ ... turns out it doesn’t level the stone, but it DOES dress it. You use this stone not to level the wheel, but to change the surface of the wheel from coarse to fine (and back again). Who knew?

I hope that helps…

You can see a video of this tool at work here:

(Photo is from Tormek.com: http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/tt50/index.php)

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1977 days

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1920 days

#1 posted 02-14-2011 05:10 AM

Nice. I have seriously been looking at getting one of these, but I wasn’t sure if it’d work 100% with my Grizzly. Glad to hear it works for you, and I will definitely be getting one of these in the future.

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1977 days

#2 posted 02-14-2011 05:22 AM

Yup, works fine with the Griz (which means the Schepper as well). If you watch the video on Tormek’s site the only difference (and the workaround) is obvious: the Grizz doesn’t have the “micro adjust” arm so you have to do that part yerself.

No big… just use your eyebulbs and go slow…. an extra five seconds of time vs. the genuine tormek machine.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View sawdustrich's profile

sawdustrich

#3 posted 02-15-2011 12:01 AM

Thiel,
I have the same setup as you. I love it and your right on with this review. I have a question about the leather wheel. I got mine and the joint edge where the leather comes together on the wheel was off in height.
Grizzly sent me another and the same problem again.
I was wondering if you have this problem and if so, do you just deal with it.
A buddy suggested going to a leather shop and have them put one on but the cost would probably be to much. Any suggestions on how to use the leather wheel better? It’s the only part of the setup I struggle with. I also purchased the planer blade accessory but sent it back and decided to go with a byrd cutter in my machines instead. It was difficult for me to keep it level and work right but I did not give it much of a chance.
I have all Tormek accessories for mine.
I purchased the Tormek support arm and had a machine shop buddy re-fit it to fit the holes of my Grizzly and now I have the threaded screws to raise and lower the arm rest. Worth the effort in my opinion.
Rich

-- Rich, Columbus, Ohio

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

#4 posted 03-05-2011 07:09 AM

I have the grizzly as well, but I’ve found the Tormek angle jig to be a worthwhile investment.

Rich, I’d love to see pics of your mods to the arm rest.

View Billp's profile

Billp

#5 posted 04-14-2011 07:57 PM

I went out and bought this trueing tool after reading your review, It works great I also have the grizz thanks.

-- Billp

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#6 posted 12-31-2011 04:29 PM

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds: