Dewalt DCD970KL review

Review by phtools posted 02-14-2011 05:00 PM 3192 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt DCD970KL review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this drill to replace my Dewalt DC925, which fell off a roof and landed in a big nasty mud hole, I just figured the drill was toast and ordered a new one, saved the 925 for salvageable parts. The DCD950 and the DCD970 are the EXACT same drill except the clutch ring, which is black on the 950 and silver on the 970. The difference is the batteries that are included 950 has the XRPs and 970 has the new NANO’s(lithium-ion). OK, back to the comparison
Pros of the DCD970/950 VS. the DCD925
1. Much Better balance
2. More power in both low and mid-range(Dewalt says the DC925 has 480 unit watts vs the DCD970’s 450, but the DCD970 is more powerful
3. WAY smoother speed selector (moves back and forth, not in an semi-ellipse like the 925)
4. L.E.D light on front
5. Shorter in length
6. Drill/screw/hammerdrill, various clutch settings are no longer on the same ring, clutch now has its own ring.

Cons of the DCD970
1. Due to pressure from a group of so called “tool users” who ONLY seem to care about aesthetics, Dewalt changed the base to the new nano style, which means if you actually use the drill it only has space for one bit on the front and WILL Not hold a screw guide or short nutsetters very well, whereas the old style base could fit a screw guide for TEK screws on one side and a 1/4” and 5/16” short nutsetters for tapcons on the other side.

However, overall the DCD970/950 is a excellent drill and deserves 4.75 stars, if Dewalt would change the base it would be a 5 star item, but that will never happen thanks to people who care more about how a tool looks rather than how well it works.

-- http://www.myphtools.com

View phtools's profile

phtools

View devann's profile

devann

#1 posted 02-14-2011 07:27 PM

After your old drill fell off the roof did the battery stay in? Did you have have to hold it in with one hand while you used the drill with the other? I’ve had that happen to past DeWalt batteries that hung from the tool with the side clips that broke or became loose.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View Chris P.'s profile

Chris P.

#2 posted 02-15-2011 11:06 PM

Funny, I just bought one of these too. I was worried since some reviews said it came with the black plastic clutch rings, but the 970 does indeed have a metal ring. So far a star performer, very pleased!

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#3 posted 02-18-2011 09:13 AM

I have wondered why Dewalt didn’t fix the balance issue 15 years ago?

View Paul's profile

Paul

#4 posted 02-19-2011 03:06 AM

I have a cordless drill not dewalt but it does have lithium batteries which I do not like. They leave you hanging at the end.
The brand I have does not offer an alternative and so I may be switching back over to dewalt. If I make the switch I think I would like to stay away from lithium. They don’t like heat and they give little warning when the battery is nearing its end.
Do you know if the dewalt lithiums have a built in heat sensor? That is part of my issue with the H- brand. Just a few holes in metal and I can trigger the heat safety in the battery. Then it’s pick you nose till it cools down. I gave my old dewalt away because the drill was working intermittently. I was in the middle of a job and bought a new drill one day. The guy I gave it to told me he changed the trigger and problem gone. I didn’t have the time to do the research. Big mistake.

View stevesloan's profile

stevesloan

#5 posted 11-12-2013 02:50 AM

I got the 970 a couple years ago and my only complaint is the lithium batteries cutting off when dead in the middle of drilling or driving in a screw. I recently got a cordless set (DCK655X) and it came with the 950. Aside frome the color of the clutch ring, the 950 feels like it ratchets a little more on a bit.