Bridge City Tool Works JM Pro Single Wing and Dovetails

Review by Cubby posted 02-13-2011 01:49 AM 4314 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bridge City Tool Works JM Pro Single Wing and Dovetails Bridge City Tool Works JM Pro Single Wing and Dovetails Bridge City Tool Works JM Pro Single Wing and Dovetails Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking at Bridge City products for some time. I haven’t used them, however, because of the cost. You see, I never drove a Jaguar before.

Well, recently I purchased the Bridge City Tool Work’s “Jointmaker Pro Single Wing” saw. This tool, ‘merely’, is a japanese saw blade tucked away in a unit that permits wood cutting operations. The precision cuts enabled by this tool and the surface definition produced by the cuts it makes is , in my opinion, unmatched by any other tool powered by hand, electric, gas or nuclear power.

I purchased mine because I needed to produce through dovetails that I could not match by my skill. Also, I was not interested in buying a router-based system I would use only a few times at a high cost. With the JMSW, I have a tool I now know I will use for every project, without noise.

The unit itself is seen in the first photo. The metal parts are Bridge City’s, the wood parts are mine, as I had to design a fixture to secure the 16’ by 24’ cherry panels I was using in my project (the saw is designed to allow customization).

I love this saw. Though I still drive truck on the road, I now drive a Jaguar in my workshop.

With respect to my fellow woodworkers,

Ron Baird
Wind Gap, Pennsylvania

#1 posted 02-13-2011 02:13 AM

R U from da burgh?

#2 posted 02-13-2011 03:23 AM

You are a STUD! .... and I still want a handle and tote!

#3 posted 02-13-2011 12:37 PM

These are the rest of the photos: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii71/windgap375/BRIDGE%20CITY%20JOINTMAKER%20PRO%20SINGLE%20WING/DSC05193.jpg

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#4 posted 02-14-2011 05:30 AM

I am impressed by those too. I would do that before I went to a router, but I just hand cut the few I do. Glad you are drinving on top of the world ;-)

#5 posted 02-18-2011 01:56 PM

Lumberjocks just made it much easier to download photos, so here are some more of my first try at using the Jointmaker Pro. I feel like I am cheating!

View shannonlove's profile

shannonlove

#6 posted 01-21-2013 01:53 PM

Bridge City tools are so beautiful that I wouldn’t desecrate them by using them in my little crapshack garage workshop. If I bought them, I show them off inside the house as art.

I am eyeballing the Joint Maker because previously I’d given up on every making any fine cuts with hand tools. I inherited early onset essential tremor through my paternal line (thanks, Granddad) plus the obstetrician poked out one eye at my birth leaving me blind in one eye. Since my hands shake and I have no depth perception, fine hand tool work just hasn’t been in the cards for me.

I really picked the wrong hobby.

With the joint maker though, I might be able to overcome my limitations and make some neat stuff without power tools.

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#7 posted 01-21-2013 03:12 PM

I ordered the new fence, still have not finish paying it though. As you found out, the weakness of this tool is the holding strategy they use. I am thinking we all have had to come up with strategies to hold down the pieces.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.