Stanley 55-099 Fat Max Xtreme Fubar

Review by christopheralan posted 1294 days ago 3049 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stanley 55-099 Fat Max Xtreme Fubar No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the monster Stanley 55-099 Fat Max Xtreme Fubar. Being a recent addition to my hammer arsenal, I am still putting it through its paces. It is the big brother to the Stanley 55-119 Fubar, which I have had for a few years. It is bigger, meaner, and much heavier at 4.5 pounds. It adds the claw type nail puller, similar to a regular hammer, which allows more versatility for pulling fasteners. The grip is identical to the 55-119, which I love: Great contour, no slip, and a great feel. This was designed for mayhem and destruction! It will tear through drywall and thin plywood with no problems. It provides a ton leverage for nail pulling, prying, and bending boards. Using it in conjunction with other hammers is very convenient. If there is a joist or stud that is twisted or warped, just grab it with the jaws, twist and turn to get it in position, and nail the now straight board with your other hammer.
What would I change? The face of the hammer is too small and too smooth. A hammer like this deserves a large, deep grooved, waffle face. My hammer strikes kept getting deflected by the smooth, polished, beveled face that is actually the same size as the smaller Fubar. The majority of the weight is in the head (obviously, I mean, look at this thing…), and it can make an accurate aim a challenge. For some reason, I have a more difficult time switching from one hammer to this one, then to other hammers. Granted, this is made for demolition, but sometimes the user needs a more precise hit. Hopefully with practice, this will improve.
Overall, this is a great Fubar! Knowing how and when to use this will make life much easier, and jobs faster. It is too heavy for my tool belt, but it is still with me for those “special” jobs.

Questions/Comments: projectwoodworks@gmail.com
Product Link: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=XTREME&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-099&SDesc=FatMax%26%23174%3B+Xtreme%26%238482%3B+FuBar%26%238482%3B+Utility+Bar+%2D+18%22

-- christopheralan http://www.projectwoodworks.com

View christopheralan's profile

christopheralan

I bought this monster when it first came out after seeing on a show called Cool Tools. I love this thing, while blondie and I were doing some construction at our home it got alot of use. Nice post!

View Holt's profile

Holt

We’re gutting a house and I bought one of thee monsters. Great tool. Going after the smaller model next