Safety First Featherboard

Review by woodklutz posted 1260 days ago 2287 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Safety First Featherboard No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know that the other day I wrote that we should make our own jigs rather than get hyped into buying one.
Well it seems that I WAS WRONG when it came to featherboards. This device from Milescraft is well made, practical and eye appealing. It comes complete with fittings for both 3/4 and 5/8 miter slots.
I ordered the double set from Amazon, this really makes sense both dollar wise and usefulness. I leave one on the router table fence and one in the table saw slot. Moving one or the other when needed is a snap. Plus you can combine them when you need the hight for resawing.
Instruction are terrible, but a little time and looking at the photo on the box gets you there. Well packaged.
Milescraft has thought of it all when it comes to application, you cannot miss a firm hold on the work piece.
Construction is subperb, it truly is worth the under $25. spent.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

View Pawky's profile

Pawky

You said that you stated in the past you should make your own jigs, but this one convinced you otherwise. What is the benefit to this one over something made at home? Personally I see no problem with buying a jig or something that will be used often, I would just like to know what advantages you think this has over something home-made. Thanks :)

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

Pawky,
What I found is that the pivoting action and the foresight for placement was far greater than I could have conceived. The material itself was much better than wood that I would have made my jig of.The gripping action was amazing and I could never have duplicated that without spending on hardware.
I made feather boards before, looked at all the shop notes etc. junked them all. This item just blew them all away.
Let me add that I heard good things about the Grripper, but it was $15 more. I doubt that it would have been better than this.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

I was looking at Feather Boards, Kreg – Bench Dog – Milescraft, I ruled out Milescraft cause of the price…
I went with Kreg cause of the angle of the slots (parallel ) but they where still too high for me. I found a real good deal on 2 pair for 19.99 shipped to my door, can’t beat that, then I got a deal on 2 Bench Dog. Then I saw a deal on Milescraft & all the extra’s that came with it, they come with a better piece for doubling them up then Kreg or Bench Dog. Bench Dog & Milescraft both have metal miter slot adopters, Kreg has plastic…

-- Rick

I don’t like the action of the Bench dog featherboards. The fingers are too stiff. Even after removing the the trailing finger on the bandsaw, the action was too stiff for my taste. The Kreg works the best of the versions I’ve tried. The plastic miter locks work fine.

View Pawky's profile

Pawky

Thank you, that all makes sense :) Thank you to the others that replied w/ their opinions on this/others as well. An excellent review.