Harbor freight bench top drill press

Review by adaughhetee posted 1166 days ago 5690 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight bench top drill press No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For a cheap way to drill straight holes you can’t beat it. More for the hobby woodworker though. Unlike everything else I have bought from Harbor Freight assembly was very simple. My only complaint is the power. On the lowest speed(620rpm) I can stop the chuck in my hand. Although with a 1” forstner bit it will go right through oak/ walnut without any trouble. Anything bigger and you might as well give it up. But, for 69.99 then a 20% coupon I can’t complain. Just don’t expect arm breaking torque.

View adaughhetee's profile

adaughhetee

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

Good review, I have a couple of those drill presses, and they work well for me. It’s nice to the chuck closes down to 0 I can use very fine drill bits in this press.

-- Ray

View Brandon 's profile

Brandon

I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago for 49.00. It does its job but not precise it has a slight wobble upon entering the wood. It’s good for small jobs where accuracy does not matter.

-- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Benjamin Franklin

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

What is the power rating on the motor? How far does the quill travel? What is the largest size bit the chuck will accept? Is the chuck keyless? What is the overall capacity of the drill press?

Thanks

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

View adaughhetee's profile

adaughhetee

It’s 1/3HP but pull’s less than 4 Amps,2” travel,1/2” keyed chuck. They had a key-less but, I like a keyed better. 8” swing. http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-drill-press/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

View woodsawdustmaker's profile

woodsawdustmaker

After a few years of using my HF benchtop drill press the keyless chuck is begining to slip sometimes. If I buy another one it will have a keyed chuck. This one has not seen a lot of action since I also have a Craftsman floor model drill press. Overall it has been a good little drill – good enough that my son working on his Master’s in sculpture at UGA borrowed it last week (I probably won’t get this on back!)

-- Max - Birmingham, AL

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

Good review. Thanks for the extra info.

View Dave's profile

Dave

I have the one with the keyed chuck. I have had no problems and it is centered and square. The only thing I dont like it the plastic depth guide.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Kaa162's profile

Kaa162

I just recently got this drill press as well. I actually got it for $25. It wasn’t shipped with a chuck key, which was easily replaceable also at HF. It was not my ideal choice, but for $25 how can you say no. I have so many other tools to buy, but so little money…ha. I am brand new to woodworking, so for now we are good to go. I was able to drill a 1.5” forstner bit through mahogany, oak, hickory, walnut, and of course pine. It was a slow process and would bind from time to time since I needed a slower speed for the bit, but still got the job done.

-- Blessed to have a wife who supports my addiction...Hobbies!