Harbor freight bench top drill press

Review by adaughhetee posted 02-09-2011 09:33 AM 6367 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight bench top drill press No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For a cheap way to drill straight holes you can’t beat it. More for the hobby woodworker though. Unlike everything else I have bought from Harbor Freight assembly was very simple. My only complaint is the power. On the lowest speed(620rpm) I can stop the chuck in my hand. Although with a 1” forstner bit it will go right through oak/ walnut without any trouble. Anything bigger and you might as well give it up. But, for 69.99 then a 20% coupon I can’t complain. Just don’t expect arm breaking torque.

View adaughhetee's profile

adaughhetee

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#1 posted 02-09-2011 05:13 PM

Good review, I have a couple of those drill presses, and they work well for me. It’s nice to the chuck closes down to 0 I can use very fine drill bits in this press.

-- Ray

View Brandon 's profile

Brandon

#2 posted 02-09-2011 05:48 PM

I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago for 49.00. It does its job but not precise it has a slight wobble upon entering the wood. It’s good for small jobs where accuracy does not matter.

-- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Benjamin Franklin

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

#3 posted 02-09-2011 05:48 PM

What is the power rating on the motor? How far does the quill travel? What is the largest size bit the chuck will accept? Is the chuck keyless? What is the overall capacity of the drill press?

Thanks

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

View adaughhetee's profile

adaughhetee

#4 posted 02-09-2011 07:30 PM

It’s 1/3HP but pull’s less than 4 Amps,2” travel,1/2” keyed chuck. They had a key-less but, I like a keyed better. 8” swing. http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-drill-press/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html

View woodsawdustmaker's profile

woodsawdustmaker

#5 posted 02-09-2011 07:52 PM

After a few years of using my HF benchtop drill press the keyless chuck is begining to slip sometimes. If I buy another one it will have a keyed chuck. This one has not seen a lot of action since I also have a Craftsman floor model drill press. Overall it has been a good little drill – good enough that my son working on his Master’s in sculpture at UGA borrowed it last week (I probably won’t get this on back!)

-- Max - Birmingham, AL

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

#6 posted 02-10-2011 05:54 AM

Good review. Thanks for the extra info.

View Dave's profile

Dave

#7 posted 02-11-2011 02:49 PM

I have the one with the keyed chuck. I have had no problems and it is centered and square. The only thing I dont like it the plastic depth guide.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Kaa162's profile

Kaa162

#8 posted 12-10-2013 03:18 AM

I just recently got this drill press as well. I actually got it for $25. It wasn’t shipped with a chuck key, which was easily replaceable also at HF. It was not my ideal choice, but for $25 how can you say no. I have so many other tools to buy, but so little money…ha. I am brand new to woodworking, so for now we are good to go. I was able to drill a 1.5” forstner bit through mahogany, oak, hickory, walnut, and of course pine. It was a slow process and would bind from time to time since I needed a slower speed for the bit, but still got the job done.

-- Blessed to have a wife who supports my addiction...Hobbies!

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

#9 posted 05-05-2014 09:24 AM

I just picked one of these up on sale for $50. It went together pretty quick and after the usual round of adjustments and tweaks you need on any HF tool it was ready to go in about half an hour. Unfortunately the motor just couldn’t keep up with my first project (used a 3” hole saw to cut some discs out of 1/8” hardboard.) Every time I’d start to cut if I didn’t go painfullyy slow it would just bog down and stop. I’ve gotten bad/weak motors on their stuff before, so I don’t know if its just too underpowered for what I need (which I think is quite likely, that hole saw has some heft to it, may just be too much mass for that little guy), or I just got a bad unit, but either way I plan to return it next time I go out and move up a step.

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.