The DeWalt DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router

Review by plantek posted 1300 days ago 4741 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The DeWalt DWP611PK 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well by now I’m sure you’ve many things about this router. Probably more good than bad. I can say without reservation all the good things are true.
I bought it about a week ago (mail order) but have been sick and haven’t had a chance to use it until this weekend.
The project I cut it’s teeth on is a white oak sofa table. So far I have only done round overs, slot cutting and running a trim bit. It has performed flawlessly!
The variable speed is easily adjusted on the fly.
The soft start is just that… soft.
The ease of changing bits is fantastic. You only need one wrench.
Bit height adjustment is easy to achieve and stays put (fixed base).
The weight and overall size of the router w/fixed base is easily handled with one hand.
The led lights are a big plus!
I haven’t actually used the plunge base yet but I have had a chance to set it up and check the functionality. It seems to be very sturdy and well made. I looking forward to using the plunge base.
I should really only give it four stars because I haven’t actually used the plunge base but like I said it works as it should I just haven’t had the motor running in the plunge base yet. I’ll bet dollars to dimes it works just as well as the fixed base. If not I will update the review.
It came with a stamped 17mm wrench 3/16” thick. I don’t see that wearing out. If it does I’m sure I’ll not only need a new wrench but a new collet… but I know better then to over tighten.
You also get a fashionable and durable nylon carry case… yeah just what I need.
Over all I can say I’m more than happy with this router. Having this allows me to keep my Porter Cable in the router table. What a relief.
Well worth the $200.00 ($199.00) at Amazon.

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!

View plantek's profile

plantek

View Schummie's profile

Schummie

Hello Plantek,

thank you for your great review.
It’s nice to hear from a “normal” user that this router is really good.
I must say I’m jealous on you guys in the US, but I hope he
ever comes in a 220v version.

Thanks again,

Schummie.

-- Greetings from the Netherlands.

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Thanks for the review. Did you use it for any operations that caused it to bog down or really push the motor? I’m curious to hear what these 1.25hp hybrids can’t do now that they can plunge…

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review Plantek.

I have one I bought last christmas ($179 on sale eheh!).
It is a great router and the plunge base works great.

It is actually less noisy that the bosch palm router.
The only annoyance is the diameter with the fixed based. It is bigger so it leaves me with a feeling that the grip is not good enough. Maybe my hands shrank.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View wseand's profile

wseand

Yeah, yeah, look at me see what I have. Drool Drool. LOL Very cool little router, one of these days it will be mine. Thanks for the review, just pushes me in the direction of getting one.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

I want one, or the new PC version!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1926 days

I just picked one of these up…. WOW. It’s the perfect size for so many things… small enough to do laminate, big enough to do significant edge profiles and dados. Maneuverable enough for fine work like mortising hinges.

Great tool. A home run by DW.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View jeff's profile

jeff

643 posts in 2098 days

nice thorough review.thx for posting.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.