Crap Powered Crap Saw

Review by travisowenfurniture posted 1265 days ago 2259 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Crap Powered Crap Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this for $15, and i over paid. It doesn’t hold onto the blades because they keep falling out no matter how much I tighten the set screws. It doesn’t cut straight. Now, it doesn’t even work. I think I didn’t have it for 6 months when it stopped working. Well, sometimes it works when I slam it against a concrete surface, hard.

So if you have one project you need a jigsaw for, but you don’t need super accurate cuts, this would be fine. It’s $20 on Amazon, so it’s great as a disposable saw, though you might just be better off using a hand saw.

-- http://www.facebook.com/travisowenfurniture

View travisowenfurniture's profile

travisowenfurniture

poopiekat

What were you expecting for your $15?

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

Sometimes you get what you paid for, and this appears to be one of those times.

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

View Gene Howe's profile (online now)

Gene Howe

5402 posts in 2027 days

Life is way too short for cheap tools!

View Dave's profile

Dave

But you gave it a star. dude thats funny.
look at it like a dead horse. it wont eat much.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Dave's profile

Dave

But you gave it a star. dude that’s funny.
look at it like a dead horse. it wont eat much.
just think of the power your going to save.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View wseand's profile

wseand

I would give it 5 stars for lasting a month.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View travisowenfurniture's profile

travisowenfurniture

I couldn’t give it less than one star. But I think it deserved at least one, mostly out of sympathy.

But it served it’s purpose. Between a bandsaw, a table saw, and a dozuki I can do anything I really need for my normal uses.

-- http://www.facebook.com/travisowenfurniture

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

How do you power a saw with “crap”? What kind of electrical system are you using in your shop? (I wonder how you’d run wires for that…)

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

Jim first you collect and dry the buffalo chips, then you burn them below a kettle filled with water. The steam turns a turbine connected to an old car alternator attached to a deep cycle battery. The battery is attached to a converter and the saw is plugged into the converter.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Sounds like the saw is made of the same thing as the power source.

Travis – thanks for an honest review with a realistic rating.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

poopiekat

IMHO, the “Reviews” section should not be used as a platform for venting one’s spleen over mis-spent money wasted on dog-crap tools. The prudent woodworker will buy used tools of quality and wait for his/her opportunity to upgrade as finances permit.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I tend to steer far away from truly cheap tools, too, but am particularly grateful for that rare GOOD one.

I’d hate to miss out on the gems, so … please keep the reviews comin’ !

-- -- Neil

poopiekat

There are indeed some real bargains in import emporiums. mostly items with no moving parts. Of course, we all welcome reviews of that rare bargain that turns out well, from the cosmoline castles of retail! I tend to distrust even a good review when the quality varies so much from two identical items from the same supplier. This is especially true when you’re blindly shopping by mail-order, and do not have the luxury of pawing through the bin to be sure you’ve found the pick of the litter. This is inherently the problem when patronizing the bottom-end retailers. To post a review saying you got scrawed on the purchase of the world’s cheepest jigsaw is, in my opinion, a redundancy.

View Howie's profile

Howie

was that an “e” and an “a” that got mixed up?
sorry couldn’t resist that.

-- Life is good.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

That looks like one of those tools that has multiple purposes….like being used for an impromptu hammer…or as a portable anvil…..I don’t have many of those left….(with my temper…the tend to go to pieces after being hit with a sledge several times…) LOL…...I agree with Gene about life being too short for crappy stuff…these reviews are always helpful…in that they re-enforce my desire to buy only quality tools….as for the jigsaw….I have a festool…and it is awesome…but a long ways from $15.00.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

Reviews of bad tools is just as useful as review of good tools. Both exist – they can’t all be good.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!