Ridgid Narrow Crown Stapler

Review by Cato posted 1269 days ago 5754 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid Narrow Crown Stapler Ridgid Narrow Crown Stapler No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought this tool the other day specifically for one project, used it today for the first time, so this is an intial impression review and time will tell how it holds up or what other uses I may find for it.

LOML asked me early in the week if I was working this weekend, and when I told her no I was off I stepped into the SWMBO trap!! Good she says, I ordered oriental carpet for a stair runners and you can help me install it this weekend.

After reviewing her video on stair runner installation it was obvious our little electric staple gun was not going to be up to the task, so went by the BORG one evening after work and looked at 1/4” narrow crown staplers, and though this one was more than the PC 18 gauge model they could not find the PC, so after reviewing for about 2 minutes the Ridgid came off the shelf and into the cart.

That’s the background for this purchase and a good one it was.

Details-
Comes with a molded plastic case, safety glasses, 1,000 1” staples, extra nose guard tip, and two allen wrenches for adjustments.

This unit really covers a wide range of staples from 3/8- 1 1/2”. I bought a small assorted pack of Porta nail staples that had 1/2,3/4, and 1” staples.

Like an 18 gauge brad nailer this unit runs from 70- 100 PSI and has a nifty dial in front of the trigger for depth of drive. Just rotate the dial till your happy with the seating of the staple.

Trigger comes in sequential mode but also has a dial for switching to bump mode. I never use bump mode on nailers, so I left it alone.

The stapler also is oiless and has a built in filter to keep the tool clean. Exhaust is somewhere out of the rear or in the handle, but wherever it is it does not blow back in your face. The nailer also comes with a handy swiveling male hose fitting, which is a nice touch.

So set my compressor to 80 PSI put in a load of 3/4 staples and off we went to put the runner in.

The stapler misfired a couple of times at first and I thought it did not like brand of staples, but now I think that maybe the action or the magazine feed was stiff, because after about 25-50 staples it settled down and did its job very well.

Worked incredible for this task and I was a hero with the wife for the way this thing fastened the carpet to the stairs.

So bottom line is I paid $109 for this tool just for this one project, but that was cheaper than hiring a installer I would think and the wife and I had fun doing this afternoon project together and we were both pleased with the results and just have to put those brass runner rods in as an accent to the project to finish it off.

I don’t know why you would install crown with a staples instead of 18 gauge brads or 15-16 gauge nails, but then I don’t want to know that anyway. For me I can see that this unit will come in handy for drawers using the smaller staples, and also for case backs and probably be very handy for shop furniture projects with ply.

I gave it 4 stars for the misfiring, but otherwise this tool did very well on its initial outing and even though I never thought I needed one, it was the tool to have for this particular job so if any of you LJ’s ever step into the stair runner trap that I did go get this thing and you will get big brownie points with the wife!!

i

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1914 days

View KnotWright's profile

KnotWright

247 posts in 2090 days

I think the more you use it, the more you’ll enjoy it. I bought it to replace an older worn out Porter Cable model. I don’t regret it a bit. For more than a few years its been used almost daily.

I give mine a BIG “2 Thumbs UP”

-- James

You never know, you may build a birdhouse with it someday. Whenever I buy a tool and someone asks me how often I will actually use it, my standard reply is “Never… if I don’t have one.”

View Todd Thomas 's profile

Todd Thomas

4969 posts in 2050 days

I got mine for the same type of thing, ” well I need it for this one project” but I have found out that it comes in handy on a bunch of other things. So far it’s been a real good tool…....I got the same compressor as you as well…...do you like it?

-- Todd, Oak Ridge, TN, Hello my name is Todd and I'm a Toolholic, I bought my last tool 10 days, no 4 days, oh heck I bought a tool on the way here! †

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1914 days

Pinto- yes now that I have it, I am sure that I will find uses for it in places where the staples will be hidden.
It easily paid for itself with this first project.

Todd- Yes I really like the Dewalt compressor. A little pricier than some in that range, but the belt drive, fairly quiet operation noise, and 200psi pressure cut out sold me and I have really been pleased with it. Runs nailers, including my framer like nobody’s business.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

I work in a Scene shpop, we build scenery on a huge scale for theatrical productions.
It needs to look real, but the construction techniques are very different from home building.. we frame 12’ – 22’ foot tall walls with 3/4” x 2 5/8” stock.. and skin with 1/4” luaune.

We glue all joints, and use 1 1/2” staples for fasteners. We then use shorter 3/4” staples to apply the luaune skin.

ie: in the Scene shop, this is our go to gun and fastener, like a stick nailer for framers.

After using every stapler on the market for decades, the shop now has four of this Ridgid Stapler.
They have retired our Bostitch and Porter Cable units completely.

We have been so happy, we got the brad gun as well. (for trim work etc..)

Little details like the pivoting air nipple, the “last round” hold open etc.. are all niceties, but the best part is they seem near indestructible!

View kerstingm's profile

kerstingm

I purchaesd mine a week ago for some fence mending and put several 100 staples through it without a hitch. No misfeeds no jams, as all of my many many Ridgid tools I am more than satisfied with my purchase. As you said I am sure I will find many other uses for it.
I am looking at their finshing and brad nailers also, I would never even think about using a staple to install crown moldimg.