Little green screwdriving man

Review by Vrtigo1 posted 1166 days ago 1756 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Little green screwdriving man No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this to replace my 18v DeWalt hammer drill as my go-to screwdriver. I got the hex chuck version – it’s nice to be able to slip bits in and not have to deal with tightening the chuck. You can also get drill bits and countersinks in hex shank, so if you need to use it for those functions as well, you can.

My primary objective with this purchase was to get something lighter, and therefore easier to get into tight spots and to reduce the strain on my arm when doing a lot of driving. In this, it comes through in spades. There are probably lighter drivers out there, but this one is plenty light enough for me.

The builtin LED worklight is better than the one on my Dewalt drill. You can engage the light without engaging the motor by just holding the trigger very lightly, and it does a better job of actually illuminating the area where you’re driving a screw instead of the area immediately in front of the trigger.

It had plenty of power for everything I’ve asked it to do thus far. If you drive screws into something soft like particleboard, it may not even engage the impact function, but when I tested it by driving 2” drywall screws into hard maple, it was impacting like crazy. Keep in mind that when the impact function engages, this thing is LOUD. I hadn’t expected it. I’s not really a problem for me, but if you’re sensitive to that sort of thing, you may want to try it out before buying if possible.

Battery life has been good so far. I haven’t used it heavily yet, but I’ve had it for about two months and with my occasional hobby use, I’ve swapped battery packs maybe three or four times in that period.

The power cord for the charger exits out the side of the casing instead of the back like most do. This caused a bit of a problem when I added it to my charger shelf, but it’s not really a complaint as much as it is something to be aware of.

All in all, satisfied with this purchase. Bought this from Lowes because I got a gift card for Christmas, if I had been paying cash, I probably would’ve opted for the Milwaukee from Home Depot only because it got higher marks in the reviews I’ve read in the trade publications.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

I have that tool as well. I like the power it has for such a small tool, and it is great for driving deck screws. I have to say though, it could never replace my dewalt drill/driver. I prefer having the torque clutch setting for furniture building to prevent over-tightening the screws. I also was not very excited about replacing all my drill bits and accessories with hex style bits. Have you seen the new dewalt 12v drill/driver? Boy is that thing tiny. It makes you feel like you have Michael Jordan hands.

View AttainableApex's profile

AttainableApex

i find that you can’t just have the impact driver, you have to have another drill/driver.
i love my impact driver and it does take a while to get used to when driving things in delicate material but it does work.

-- Ben L

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

I had the non-impact DB10DL for a couple of years and was happy with it, but recently upgraded to the WH10DL with the impact feature, and am very happy with that….it’s handiest little thing! I was able to grab a refurb on sale for $59 + s/h….tough to beat.