Not so impressive.

Review by SchotterWoodworking posted 1167 days ago 2018 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not so impressive. Not so impressive. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was warned. I was warned every time I went into Woodcraft. Don’t buy Groz! I’ve seen it everywhere online. I’m here to tell you, they are on to something when they say don’t buy Groz. The Groz isn’t a terrible plane, but it isn’t a very good one either. This is actually the only plane I ever received brand new. Every other plane I have is an old Millers Falls or an old Stanley. Out of the box it does not impress. The metalwork is haphazard and I would not count on anything being flat or square without a LOT of tuning. I mean, always tune a plane, but this was ridiculous. The blade is so-so and after a good run on the water stones, she shaves like a good plane, so there’s that. The fence and depth stop are fine, no frills-only function. In retrospect, I would have just hunted down an old Stanley 78, which this is just a copy of, and restored her.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

I’ve bought two Groz products, and it was two too many. I can’t help but feel the cheap hand tools like Groz turn many beginning woodworkers away from handtools.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

Well, to be fair, my #78 kinda sucks too. I would probably be more upset if I hadn’t gotten it for a ridiculous price. I think the Record version is nicer. The dual support on the fence goes a long way.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

131 posts in 1907 days

I have a Groz #4 I got about a year ago at Woodcraft. It was pretty good right out of the box. I did a little work to flatten the sole but not much else. The blade that came with it was not great. Not as good as the ones that you might get on an old Stanley but in that general ballpark. Considering the price, I would say it was a good deal.

Tom

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

It’s never too late. I have a Stanley 78 & love it. Needed no tuning. I have a lot of different planes in my shop, all of them either old Stanleys of Millers Falls & all were a bargain compared to what I could have gotten in a new plane. I suppose if I had a ton of money to spend on tools, I might consider paying up for the high end planes, but I don’t know why, when you can get a used Stanley or Millers Falls for the price of a budget plane, you’d want the budget import. I say ,”buy American”...even if it’s an old used American…maybe especially if it’s old & used.

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you