Triton 2 1/4hp plunger router

Review by SchotterWoodworking posted 1296 days ago 3150 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton 2 1/4hp plunger router Triton 2 1/4hp plunger router Triton 2 1/4hp plunger router Click the pictures to enlarge them

WOW! This was my Christmas present this year and I have been impressed every time I use this router. The construction of the tool is outstanding to say the least. The brushes are easy to access, the plunge is smooth and easy to control, the rack-and-pinion plunge is very groovy, even the depth turret is user friendly and easy to adjust. The depth stop itself is idiot-resistant and hasn’t slipped on me yet (unlike the Freud model). I didn’t know if I would like the one-wrench collet nut, but it has grown on me. The additional plate has only one drawback from my point of view, the fence that comes with the router is really tight and hard to finely adjust. I don’t think it would ever move after it was tightened down, but it is a challenge to get it in position. I love the power switch cover to keep dust out and prevent accidental start-up and the over-table height adjustment is smooth as butter. The router has plenty of power for its size and isn’t too loud (for a router anyway). Triton has done some serious homework with this one and their router have earned the reputation for consistent quality and precision. If you want a dedicated plunger for all around work, go for this model; that said, if you want one for a router table, you might go for the larger 3 1/4hp model.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

View Mark Colan's profile

Mark Colan

I have one as well, and I love it! My previous router was a bad Craftsman router that I bought in the early 80s, so this is a huge improvement over that.

One reason I went for this router was the provided crank that makes it easy to adjust the bit depth when the router is mounted in a table. The only catch is: you still need access to the router below, assuming you want to use the lever that locks the depth, which is a good idea for depth accuracy and repeated cuts.

I also love it that it is quick and easy to move the collet assembly all the way up and, when you do so, there is a snap lock to hold the collet in place. They provide the perfect wrench to loosen or tighten the collet, and you can do it with one hand thanks to that snap lock. Again, this is great for use in a table.

I wish the included base accepted standard bushings. Some boxes now include an adapter that allows the use of these bushings. If yours does not, send an email to Triton. I did that and the US sales rep sent me one for free.

Last tip: Highland Woodworking has the 2.25HP model on sale for $169.99, and the 3.25HP model for $199.99. These are much better prices than what I paid a couple of years ago! Note: I do not work for Highland Woodworking, and don’t know anyone who does.

Yes, I’m another happy Triton user.

-- Mark, hack amateur woodworker, Medford (greater Boston) MA

To anyone who is looking for a table router, and read Mark’s comment:
Freud makes a fixed base FT1700 2.25 hp router that you can perform all adjustments from above the table.

View Mark Colan's profile

Mark Colan

@pintodeluxe: does the Freud router allow you to lock the bit depth after setting it, from above?

I once bought a Freud biscuit cutter and found it very disappointing. They make very good sawblades, but for me I would make sure any Freud power tool was returnable.

I don’t have any experience with their router, but this comes from an Amazon review: “Although changing cutters from above the table is nice, all the raising and lowering of the motor is done from beneath the table. I have found it easier to adjust the precise cutter height by reaching under the table as the adjusting hole plugs with sawdust almost immediately. In addition, the height adjustment is very crudely executed with tremendous play between the base and the motor which shifts when the crude locking lever is engaged. These combine to undermine any pretense at precision.”

The Triton has very smooth and price raising and lowering of bits, with no play, and there is no the crank hole would get plugged with dust.

The Freud if fixed-base only, whereas the Triton does both fixed and plunge. Of course, some people prefer to have a router do one or the other but not both.

-- Mark, hack amateur woodworker, Medford (greater Boston) MA

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1919 days

Have this router and love it.

And Triton (now part of HTC Tools) stands behind their stuff.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View slimt's profile

slimt

I agree with Mark we must both own the same bisccuit cutter. I have looked at this router a couple times seems like anice tool.

View NH_Hermit's profile

NH_Hermit

Thanks for this review. I just placed my order. Anyone want a crumby Black & Decker – cheap?

-- John from Horse Shoe