Craftsman Professional series #315.218290 Tablesaw with folding stand.

Review by Dadoo posted 2366 days ago 22980 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman Professional series #315.218290 Tablesaw with folding stand. Craftsman Professional series #315.218290 Tablesaw with folding stand. Craftsman Professional series #315.218290 Tablesaw with folding stand. Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my personal review of my Craftsman saw listed above. I work out of a two car garage that I need to park two vehicles in, so I need a saw that is light and portable, and that leaves a small footprint when stored. About a year ago I literally burned up my old Rockwell tablesaw and went on the hunt for a new one. Brands like Bosch, Makita and Rigid weren’t readily available to see, touch and examine…and Sears had this one “on sale” for $350.00. There was a Dewalt saw next to it that I did compare to. The salesman told me (maybe it was his sales pitch) that this model was designed by former Delta engineers trying to create a more compact and portable saw. I was also checking out the other saws too and he didn’t offer any “pitch” towards those.

I like this saw. When stored it sticks out 2’ from the wall and weighs 110 lbs. The wheels are hard rubber and the stand works with ease, unfolding with one toe. When set up, the saw is very stable on this stand. There are adjustable leveling feet too.The motor runs on 120vac at 15 amps and developes a no-load speed of 4800/min. The blade arbor is 5/8” and uses a 10” blade. It is also driven by 2 belts. I have ripped several lengths of maple (using a Freud Diablo blade) with no slowing noted. It is quite powerful. The blade is enclosed into a cast aluminum shroud that has a 2 1/2” exaust port on the rear for shopvac hookup.

The Pros: What impressed me the most is that all the accessories and jigs are built in. This saw will cut 30” to the left or right of the blade. It will cut panels up to 22” wide on the miter sled. It will cut compound miters. The fence has a sight window that has remained accurate since I originally set the unit up. The router table and miter sled can be used on either side of the blade and come off very easily, without tools. Blade changeing is simple with the two wrenches provided. One of these slides into a groove, locking the arbor, allowing for one handed blade changes. It also has a rack and pinion gearing which allow for easy blade height and angle adjustments. The fence is held by friction clamps and I haven’t had it move at all. There are other accessories that clamp to this fence allowing it’s use for the router table as well. There is a switchable outlet on the right side which allows the power switching of the router too. The riving knife, anti-kickback pawls and blade guard are easily changed by loosening two nuts behind the blade. The wrenches are provided. There is a storage area on the left side for extra blades and the provided wrenches. The instruction book is very through and includes mechanical diagrams and parts lists for the entire unit. It’s also made in Taiwan…now noted for it’s better quality control today.

The Cons: (1)Setting the saw up (out of the box) takes a little patience, but once set, it stays right on. Like I previously stated, the friction clamps need to be adjusted so that they clamp tightly. I was routing a dado in a board and ended up with a crooked groove because the router table had moved, not the fence! (2)The switch is located under and to the right. You have to “look” to find it. (3)The provided blade is a 36 tooth carbide unit from China. I haven’t used it yet. I might never. (4)The table surface is coated with a teflon type paint. Although slippery, is can be scratched. (5)Accessories like a zero clearance throat plate are listed, but unavailable. (6) The accessory power outlet has only one outlet, either for the saw motor or for the router motor. I’d like to see two outlets so that I can switch on the shopvac as well. (7) And this is the worst! This saw fits easily into the back of my son’s truck! Guess I harbor some reservations about my baby (saw, not son) leaving the shop!

I would recommend this unit to anyone with a small shop or storage problems. I would also recommend it for jobsite contracting, but abusive employees can damage it easily.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

View Bill's profile

Bill

Nice review Dadoo. It looks like you found something that fits your needs and does it job.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

Nice review Dadoo. I looked at one of these this past weekend on the Sears showroom floor and it looked like a pile of dog pooh. I guess this one I saw might have been just abused by people playing with it.

I’ll have to give it a second look.

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Great Review Dadoo;

These saws definitely fill a need. My jobsite saw is the Bosch unit, and I am very happy with it. I can’t imagine being on a job without a saw of these types.

In fact I have a 4” jointer and a 12” planner I can take to sites when needed. We are able to make pretty much everything on site when needed.

Being able to have precision tools at the job sure makes things easier.

Very well written review!

Lee

View Muddler's profile

Muddler

nice review, Dadoo.

the saw is actually the legacy of the Ryobi BT3100. The BT3100 was originally sold for $300 with a stationary stand, and the accessory kit sold for $100 and included the router table add-ons (the fence, guard/d/c port, inserts for the bit hole), a standard miter slot insert, zero clearance and dado inserts for the blade, clamp for the miter table, and crappy wheel add ons to make the stationary stand a little more mobile. A year or so before Ryobi discontinued the saw, Sears starting selling it with most of the accessories and the mobile base for $450 as the model you bought. If you are looking for parts, the BT3100 parts are interchangable if you can find them. Check out www.bt3central.com for more info on the saw – there’s actually a cult following if you can believe it!

-- ...straight lines or tight lines, either will make me happy! Muddler

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1973 posts in 2989 days

good review. I’m glad that you like this saw. I had previously given up an anything that had the Craftsman brand on it. Glad it is working out for you and meets your needs. Nice review.

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I’m with Mark. Craftsman has really let me down lately. I am glad your luck is different. Thanks for the review.

View IgotWood's profile

IgotWood

You put cars in your garage?! I never thought of that…

-- Jeremy, Austin Texas- A bad day in the shop beats a good day at work

View dieselman's profile

dieselman

I have a bro inlaw that has 30yrs in remodel trade, he still has his Craftsman table saw
from 20 yrs ago,1st 10 yrs Dewalt. Chet said he would buy a older model Craftsman
rehab it,and have the best saw around. Also said that a table saw is like a house,the
better the foundation the better the saw will be,also he gave good marks for Ryobi products.

Dieselhammer

-- DIESELHAMMER

View jake's profile

jake

For anyone interesting in this saw, check out BT3central.com. It is a version of the Ryobi 3100 that was really popular and has a huge following-with their own website. Lots of good information there as well but people are dedicated to that saw. For years I used a Ryobi 3100 (basically this saw with different stand) and made many nice pieces of furniture. Moved up to the Sears Zipcode saw and now love it but keep the 3100 as the cast iron table of the new saw certainly wont let it be portable like the 3100. The line the Sears guy said about Delta guys was actually referring to the new hybrids they sell (zip code series) as Orion is a division of Steel City- the company that had old Delta guys break away and form the company.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19279 posts in 2435 days

Great review Dadoo.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

That saw is the current incarnation, and latest evolution of the highly regarded Ryobi BT3×00 series table saws. I have a BT3100-1, due to space considerations I would love to sell it and replace it with a 21829. The single outlet is by design and intentional as it is controlled by the power switch, so that you can operate the saw, OR a router, not both at the same time. People are prone to doing stupid things and hurting themselves…

In many ways the Sears spec saw is a pretty nice upgrade with the sturdy folding stand, and miter slot included in the accessory table… But I agree, the coating that Sears specs on their saws is annoying at best… They should have gone polished aluminum on them…

DIY ZCTPs are super easy on these saws. Send me a PM with your email address and I will email you a measured drawing.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Stewy's profile

Stewy

I just joined this site a few days ago and I also just bought this saw to use on my daughter’s house across town.
Its too hard to cut stuff when your cabinet saw is on the other side of town. Thanks for the great review!

-- Dennis in Iowa "You can have 30 years experiance or 1 year 30 times!!!!"

View abraham's profile

abraham

“The fence has a sight window that has remained accurate since I originally set the unit up.”

I am new to this and have the same saw. How do you set it up? The instructions to me were a little difficult to understand. I tried to adjust the fence but no matter what I do, once I lower the bar, the front tightens and doesn’t move, but as the rear tightens it moves in towards the blade. I tried to adjust it without any success.

Abraham