Circa 1850 Try Plane

Review by Dave posted 1300 days ago 2508 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Circa 1850 Try Plane Circa 1850 Try Plane Circa 1850 Try Plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in need of a joiner plane. I had come across this plane at a antiques shop in MS. For a grand total of $27.00. It needed a little work. The mouth was missing a chunk in front of it. On the blade is stamped [dwights french and co.]. On the nose of the plane is stamped [H. J. Nazero and co. of Milwaukee]. And all over the plane is stamped [B. F. Pfeiffer]. Doing some internet research. I can place the manufacture of the blade and the plane between 1850-60.
Now with a piece of red oak. I repaired the mouth. With the help of my worksharp 3000 and some Arkansas stones I got the blade in fair condition. I set the blade in the plane and made shavings the first pass. This plane weighs less than a metal joiner.
There were 3 other planes of the same condition. I do believe I will be going back to retrieve them.;)

View CoolDavion's profile

CoolDavion

Looks like a good repair, I’ve steered away from wooden planes(so far).

-- Do or do not, there is no try!

Dave

Cooldavion, I had bought a coffin scraper and had very poor luck with the blade. It was from the same time period. So it sits on a shelf waiting for me to find a blade. But there is something about the way the wood tools feel on your project. You get feedback, kinda, sorta in a way.
Deke, good one even my wife laughed. Never had a groz, but I went and priced them. They look about the same as a buck brothers. I have buck brothers and thanks to lj’s and the internet. I am able to tune them and get them to produce. But it is a fight. If I get it set, don’t dare move it.

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

That plane restoration looks great! I am sure it will be tons of fun to use.

As for the poke at Groz, I actually have a couple of horrid Footprint planes that I am able to get pretty good results with. I’ll agree that Groz could have better quality finishes on their products and more accurate adjustment mechanisms, but to tell the truth, there is a big difference between what we expect in terms of tolerances in tools and what is actually needed to do a good job. Granted, Veritas, Lie-Nielsen, etc. all have gotten us spoiled in terms of keeping parts flat to “less than a thou,” even though we don’t need anywhere near this accuracy to get good results when working wood.

-- David from Indiana --

Dave

I agree David. I have always been a hybrid woodworker. But since it is now my hobby I find myself going towards all hand. But I don’t need it to the thou. I want it to look hand made. THERE is no better finish than with a hand plane. JMHO
If they cant find you hansom at lest they can find you handy

View swirt's profile

swirt

1937 posts in 1599 days

Good job saving that one and putting it back to work.
I am curious as to your choice of red Oak for the patch on the mouth. I have a similar plane in need of that treatment, but I haven’t researched the repair much yet. Was red oak a recommendation you saw somewhere or just a matter of what was on hand?

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

Dave

Swirt the oak was my choice because I wanted hard, domestic wood and a color difference to let you know there was a repair. Dont tell anybody I signed the backside of the repair. I also used ca for the adhesive. I did not want any water in or on the plane. The plane stock was no where near the pith of the tree. And that is where I see most of the checking problems in a plane of this age.

View ksSlim's profile

ksSlim

Nice job on the repair.
It was a common practice during the 17 &1800s for journeyman jointers to stamp their tools with a stamp that they earned during apprenticeship.

It might be interesting to go to Ancestry.com to see if you can learn anything about the former owner.

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View swirt's profile

swirt

1937 posts in 1599 days

Thanks for the info superdav.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

looks like a good repair Superdav :-)
congrat´s with your new toy
I my self has just started to restore 50+ woodenplanes and a bunch of other tools
and I´m going to make a blog about it ….thank´s for inspiring me to continue with the work :-)
(you can see them in my toolgloats )

thank´s for sharing
Dennis

Dave

Dennis, The first one I found was in my own town and I paid for it. It gave me all sorts of trouble. But as my dad would tell me “son don’t give up”. It’s a gamble when you invest money in something this old. But now I got the fever. I dont think I will do the ebay thing. I enjoy driving all over and looking for them. ;)

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

then don´t forget the fleamarkets …LOL

take a look at Swirt´s blog about it and the link in it …..I sure you will like it :-)

good luck with the hunt
Dennis

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I have a similar plane from the same era, built by the Ohio Tool Company. I have not restored it yet, but now I am inspired. Thank you for sharing.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

Bring ‘em back alive!

Dave

Dennis and Rich I am glad the plane project has inspired you guys to, quote poopiecat “bring em back alive” . I just went and got some 5/4 red oak and the joiner does fine work. Watch out twisted timber.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

I’m doing a re-sole on a Stanley #26. The poor thing has already once been thrashed by somebody who cut a new mouth and reversed the iron hardware to face the opposite direction. It’ll get a new red beech sole and laminated tote and knob, I just regret losing the Stanley stamping on the front of the plane.