Excellent Drill/Driver

Review by Chris posted 2341 days ago 2702 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Drill/Driver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This drill was Christmas gift from my wife this past year. My previous cordless had given up the ghost back in November and I had been grousing about have to use the corded drill all the time. We debated about the merits of 14v vs. 18v vs. 12v? for a while when I told her to pick what we could afford in the budget.

I will admit I had my reservation with regards to a 12v drill; I don’t have them any longer. The drill comes with the case (systainer), charger, two batteries, Centrotec & standard 3-jaw chucks, and the drill. It charges very quickly by the way. After I had it charged I decided to test out the Festool claims. I drove 3” Deck screws into a piece of 12/4 Hard maple; It did not even slow down. WOW! my old 18v would not do that…. It will last a very long time on a charge as well.

Changing to the different chuck and bits is child’s play. I have to say it makes me proud of my German heritage.

I rated it as a “4 Star” due to the cost.

Photo from the Festool Website

View Bob Strasser's profile

Bob Strasser

The compact Festool drill has really been great in my shop. Especially when you add the eccentric and right angle chucks. You can get in places that few, if any, other drills can get into. I’ve had my drill just over 3 years and the batteries are still holding up strong.

The only negative is the cost.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. How long is the charge cycle? If you had a second battery would no. 1 charge before no. 2 was exhausted?

Rikkor,

In answer to your questions:
1. The charge cycle was about 30-40 min. (I did not actually time it. Best guess…)
2. Yes, in my experience the second does charge before depletion of the first.

Also, it does come with two batteries.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks. That really adds value to the tool.

View Blueline's profile

Blueline

Hi all, I happened upon your site the other day and finally got around to registering. I noticed this review recently and thought I’d give my two cents. I’ve had this driver since last Fathers Day and have to say its been the best driver by a mile. Quick battery charge cycles, brushless motor (read non-wearing parts within), light weight and stump pulling torque. Yes it is expensive, however, when you consider that it’ll last a couple of lifetimes compared to other brands I believe its worth it. Thanks in advance.

View ondablade's profile

ondablade

Here we go again! :-) I too need to buy a drill/driver, and having experienced the way their good design and high quality makes a real difference with an ATF55 saw have been looking at their drivers, but wobbling at the price.

Keeps on happening, doesn’t it? You need something, and you’ve an idea of the cost – but when you start digging you find there are all sorts of subtle reasons why you really need to go much further up the market….

-- Late awakener....

View Harry Randles's profile

Harry Randles

Thanks Chris. Bought the C12 few months ago still not use it Due to rebuilding my workshop have all my tools in storage your review does reiterate the reason i bought it can not wait to use it

Thanks again
Harry

-- Harry Manchester UK

View drewnahant's profile

drewnahant

I agree that festol is a great quality tool, and if you are using it for precision rather than power, nothing comes close to beating it. But I think it is hilarious that you said “whatever we could afford” and you ended up with a festool drill. I know if i said that i’d end up with a black & decker.

Drew,

I do apologize If you injured yourself laughing. However, keep in mind that I have had several other major brand drills that have not lived up to their reputation so we saved up for one that has lived up to all my expectations and more. This 12volt drill drives just as well any 14v or 18v drill I have ever used so with that experience power is not an issue in this case. If I where going to drill a hole in concrete I would not choose this drill I’d get out my old corded drill. But, for the purpose I intended it for it has been fantastic.

Have a Great Day! :)