Finest out of the box machine I've ever owned.

Review by Dedvw posted 01-31-2011 12:56 AM 3625 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Finest out of the box machine I've ever owned. Finest out of the box machine I've ever owned. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As soon as I opened the box, I could tell Delta really put forth an effort to release a quality product. Much more Styrofoam than I am use to, making the box for this unit is very big. Everything was very well organized and in very good condition. Fit and finish was the best I have seen on a sub 1000.00 piece of equipment.

Everything took about 20 minutes to assemble (including removing it from the box). Assembly consisted of placing the Live Center and Spur Center in the lathe and setting them with a couple light taps with a piece of wood and a hammer. The tips of the Live and Spur Center could not have been closer when placing the tailstock next to the headstock after assembly.

Flipping the power switch fired up a super smooth, almost silent, piece of equipment. I spun some 2×2 pieces of maple and nothing I did slowed the 1hp motor down. I ran it on the first two belt setting (slow and med) and didn’t get any vibration whatsoever (the lathe was only placed on a rough cut piece of oak as a base). My wife came in the garage and was so impressed on how quiet it was she even tried it: )

Delta should be proud of themselves for this lathe. It’s a very fine piece of equipment.

View mtkate's profile

mtkate

2049 posts in 2077 days

#1 posted 01-31-2011 01:21 AM

How big of a piece can you turn on that thing?

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#2 posted 01-31-2011 03:54 AM

thanks for the nice review. I ‘ll keep it in mind for the future- not a turner just yet

View Cliff De Witt 's profile

Cliff De Witt

#3 posted 01-31-2011 03:57 AM

I feel the same way about mine.
I really love this lathe!

-- Trying to find an answer to my son’s question: “…and forming organic cellulose by spinning it on its axis is interesting, why?”

15337 posts in 1941 days

#4 posted 01-31-2011 05:59 AM

Very nice score~ Congrats to you!

#5 posted 01-31-2011 05:21 PM

Mtkate, it states a 12 1/2 inch swing over the bed with 16 1/2” between center. There is an optional bed extension to make it 42” that is on my hot list.

I’m fairly confident that the motor on this lathe is fully capable of handling the designed specs.

View Sanity's profile

Sanity

#6 posted 02-03-2011 01:55 AM

Dedvw, I also have this lathe with the bed extension and leg assembly. I too am very impressed with the fit and finish of all the parts – it is definitely a quality product at a reasonable price. Some of the features are very good, such as the variable speeds, forward and reverse function, and the belt tensioning mechanism. The only thing I don’t like is that the base of the legs tends to get in the way a bit but that is a minor complaint.

-- Stuart

View Jeffery Mullen's profile

Jeffery Mullen

#7 posted 04-01-2011 10:44 PM

Looks like you got a wonderful wood shop toy. I wood like to get into wood turning some day my self. I am blessed to have you on the Lumber jocks team of any thing possible world with wood creating .

View Hyvel's profile

Hyvel

#8 posted 09-16-2011 03:55 AM

That looks like a perfectly sized lathe, will put it on my short list for christmas

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

#9 posted 11-01-2013 11:27 PM

Dedvw, Thanks for the review. I am thinking about purchasing one of these on a clearance sale. Wondering ;do you still have this Lathe and are you still happy with it?

Thanks.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

#10 posted 11-02-2013 12:52 AM

CtL,

I still fully stand behind my review of this lathe. I have added one extension and the delta 46-461 chuck plus a bunch of chisels. The lathe still runs like the day I bought it. I have used some large pieces of wood and still haven’t been able to substantially slow the motor down. Another feature I like is the variable speed, it is very linear throughout its range.

I have read the reviews and it seems like some people are having trouble with warranty/ parts replacement. I have not had any issues with mine, so I can’t speak about Delta’s after purchase customer service. What I can tell you is that this is still the finest piece of power equipment I own, and I own a few.