Great Purchase - Refurbished Nonetheless

Review by OhioPumpGuy posted 01-30-2011 08:57 AM 3875 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Purchase - Refurbished Nonetheless No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this planer a few months ago from ToolKing.com (http://www.toolking.com/) for about $450. It has been one of the best purchases and additions to my shop. I read reviews about people having issues with dull blades, etc. I have ran a tone of wood from pine to oak to maple through this planer and the factory blades are perfect. The key is not running too much wood at once. The only issue that I have had is that the rollers need to be cleaned every so often and the feed plate should be treated. I treated the feed plate with “Top Coat” which is meant to help protect and lubricate tablesaws. This reduces the friction between the workpiece and the feed plate. Failure to do so may result in the piece getting stuck in the planer as the friction of the feedplate may overcome the roller friction. This has only happened with large (12.5” wide, 2” thick) pieces of maple which after sanded or planed are too smooth for the rollers to grip.

A definate 5 star * purchase.

View OhioPumpGuy's profile

OhioPumpGuy

View rance's profile

rance

#1 posted 01-31-2011 01:23 AM

Same here… from TK. It took two shipments for me. They had dropped the first one so they returned it on their dime, and sent me a suitable one I’m VERY happy with mine.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View jim1mckenna's profile

jim1mckenna

#2 posted 01-31-2011 03:46 AM

I have this planner I hate it I want to sell it and maybe buy a bigger one or the steel city one I have problems every time I use it . I am only taking like a 32nd of and the boards always get stuck and then the rollers burn the wood I have used lubercant as well, I just am unhappy with this tool and it makes me berly use it.

View OhioPumpGuy's profile

OhioPumpGuy

#3 posted 01-31-2011 05:55 AM

does anyone have my tips to help increase the roller friction?

View kshipp's profile

kshipp

#4 posted 01-31-2011 06:15 AM

I just checked this out on ToolKing today and they had it for $435 shipped. I pulled the trigger and I’m looking forward to getting it.

-- Kyle Shipp, http://battleshipp.blogspot.com

#5 posted 02-01-2011 12:22 AM

To the couple of people who have commented about roller problems –
I agree that a waxed base helps, but the biggest cause of poor material feeding is dull blades. Time to flip those blades.
Best of luck

View Live4Brew's profile

Live4Brew

#6 posted 02-01-2011 08:37 AM

Exactly. I was having major feeding problems. Decided to flip the blades to the unused side. Presto, works like a charm.

#7 posted 02-02-2011 08:21 PM

Nice score I have the little brother Dewalt and have run 1000’s of bd feet and still on the first set of blades.

View gemcam's profile

gemcam

#8 posted 02-21-2011 09:37 PM

I bought a DW735 DeWalt and loved it at first but then it the feed would stall so Id have to push the board in and run around to pull it out, burning the wood each time it stopped. I took it back and they kept it over the weekend and ran my 12.5 in. Cherry and it worked great. I went back and picked it up and the first 6 or 8 passes were fine then it started stalling again. I called the store and was told to bring it back for a refund. Marsh Tool treated me great! I have learned since it was because of the cold causing the problem,unfortunately I hurt my back loading it into my PU. My 8or9 year old Makita has never minded the cold but I wanted to up grade and go a little wider. Now I don’t know what to do. What ever it is it will be through Marsh Tool, Brighton Mi.

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

136 posts in 2015 days

#9 posted 06-27-2011 04:15 AM

I just unboxed mine and ran a few pieces through it. It beats the old Delta 12 1/2 inch all hollow; no snipe at all if you don’t take too big a bite, and a VERY smooth finish compared to the old Delta. MaxTools ran a deal for $580, with the folding extension tables and an extra set of knives thrown in.

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?