2Sand.com Where Price Meets Value!

Review by Crushgroovin posted 1277 days ago 2283 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
2Sand.com Where Price Meets Value! 2Sand.com Where Price Meets Value! 2Sand.com Where Price Meets Value! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am always on the lookout for quality products at a low price. Since I started turning I have been looking for power sanding accessories that are a better value than what is available through Woodcraft. After quite a bit of searching and comparing I finally decided to give 2Sand.com a shot. After my 1st test drive of their Blue Micron Bowl Sanding Discs I am really impressed!

Price

When comparing price to Woodcraft there is not comparison. A 5 disc pack Hook & Loop discs from Woodcraft run $3.99 each & the mandrels are $10.99 each. In comparison The Blue Micron Discs come in Packs of 25 for $4.43! Now I am not mathematician but by my calculations that makes the 2Sand.com discs WAY cheaper! The mandrels are $5.92 each which is also WAY cheaper than anything else I have found anywhere. The cheapest disc holder I have found elsewhere was $8.95 each. Oh and 2 days shipping was also super cheap!

First Impressions

Upon opening the box I found that each 25 pack was clearly labeled and in a ziplock pouch. The discs measure 3 3/8” and are straight round unlike the competitors “Wave” products, as I will explain below this is the only small drawback of their products. The disc holders are the exact same ones as offered at Woodcraft and Woodturners catalog. I bought a half dozen of them because I can sand pretty aggressively at times and that tends to shortent he lives of the disc holders.

Review of Use

I just couldn’t wait to try them out after getting the package in the mail. I turned a bowl and left it a little thick so I wouldn’t end up with a Hole in my Bowl from my tool rest moving.

I started with 80 grit using a snub nosed power drill and went to work. I had to get pretty aggressive as my tool rest had slipped during my last cut and there was a large swirl groove. To get everything smooth and even I did some heavy power sanding using 80 & 100 grit. You can see from the picture what this aggresive sanding did to the discs. Now I don’t normally sand with such a heavy hand but in my experience the “Gold Wave Discs” have held up much better than these blue round discs did. As can be seen in the pictures I destroyed 2 discs of each grit. After smoothing the bowl out I then proceeded through the grits as follows 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800. I usually only sand through 320 but I wanted to see what it was like to get a really fine sanding on a bowl. Ended up not being much of a difference as far as I could tell. For the amount I sanded they showed acceptable wear.

Conclusion

I am extremely impressed with the 2Sand.com products. While they did not hold up quite as well as the “Gold Wave Discs” they did a good job sanding some nice spalted quilted Maple that is heavily prone to tear out. The finished bowl was as smooth and swirl free as I have ever experienced. Considering how much lower the cost of the 2Sand.com discs are I am not too worried about them wearing out a bit sooner. I may get twice as much use out of the other discs but I can get 5 times as many 2Sand.com discs for the same price! I would highly recommend the 2Sand.com Bowl sanding products to anyone who does any turning and wants to do some power sanding. They are truly an amazing value for such a high quality product!

Chris

-- I wouldn't be so arrogant if you weren't such a moron!

View Crushgroovin's profile

Crushgroovin

View Crushgroovin's profile

Crushgroovin

Total Cost for the following was $109.40

2 25 packs of 3 3/8” discs in each of the following grits 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400

1 25 pack 3 3/8” discs of 600 grit & 800 grit

5 3” Sanding Disc Holders Hook & Loop

1 3” Sanding Disc Holder Micro Hook & Loop

I opted to pay $16.40 for USPS Priority mail. I ordered the night of Jan 25th and received the package on Jan 28th. Ultra quick processing!

-- I wouldn't be so arrogant if you weren't such a moron!

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking for an alternate source for the “wavey” discs.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View hairy's profile

hairy

1988 posts in 2135 days

That is something very similar to what I’m using. I get mine locally.

I was amazed at the difference in how good of a sanding job it does. I use mine in a cordless drill, and then reverse the drill and lathe and go at it again. It eliminated the step of hand sanding with the grain between grit changes.

I have heard that the discs with the flaps do a better job. The end folds over and doesn’t cut into your project. I will get some and find out.

You’re going to be happy with that.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...

View rusty94114's profile

rusty94114

I ordered several non-loading sanding belts and a pack of similar sanding disks from 2Sand because I liked the description of them and the price and shipping were very reasonable.

The items arrived quickly, but I found that the disks were 5” rather than the 6” I’d ordered. When I contacted 2Sand they immediately sent the proper size. I was super-impressed with the way they handled this problem. And the belts and disks turned out to work great! Much better than the kind I’d been using before.