Onieda Dust Deputy

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 01-27-2011 07:09 AM 6257 views 0 times favorited 56 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Onieda Dust Deputy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using my Dust Deputy for several months now and feel it is time to give it a review. The theory is very sound and as long as the plastic stays together it works as advertised. BUT I can’t keep the top on. The glue at the factory failed, the epoxy failed and the “special glue from HD was no better. Evidently the plastic that it is made from is impervious to any kind of glue to keep this sucker together. I complained to their service department and was told to get this glue from HD, sorry I forget the name right now, but nothing I have tried will last for more than a few days.
My advice is to stay away from the plastic crap and if you buy one from Onieda, get the metal one. As for me I am going to make my own from a 30 gallon trash can and PVC fittings. If any one is interested, I have a heck of a deal on this one. It is not worth the $100 I paid and that;s for sure. And as you can see from the photo, if I loop the hose over my drill press, the top stays on until you move it or start the vacuum.
If I could I would give this crap a minus 5 stars for the junk I over paid for and the lack of concern from the customer service. Even Harbor Freight has a better return policy than these jerks.

UPDATE: Oneida saw this review and sent me a new unit. I have been using it regularly and this one is staying together just fine. I raised the Star Rating to 4 stars as the Dust Deputy does work as advertised. I withheld one star only because of the fiasco with the original customer service person.

For what it is worth; After 40 odd years as COO of multi-million dollar corps. and my own business, I found that a business is only as good as how well you handle the most disgruntled customer. The economy was very good before I retired. In today’s economy, you can not afford a legitimate complaint from a customer. Bad word of mouth can kill a business.

I want to thank Jeff Hill at Oneida-air for the professional way he handled my complaint. I will recommend their product to anyone in the future.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#1 posted 01-27-2011 07:34 AM

Hi Rand

Sorry this unit did not work out for you. Did you ever try gorilla glue on it? I am surprised Onieda was not more cooperative. I always thought they were a pretty good company. Glad I did not buy my dust collector from them. I wonder if Doctor Patron does house calls?

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 01-27-2011 07:43 AM

I have one… Love it… No problems, except mine! I think it’s GREAT!

#3 posted 01-27-2011 08:06 AM

CharlieL, yep, I done went and downloaded it yesterday.

Tom, I thought they were a stand up bunch as well. I read that others complained about the same problem and received a new unit. Not when I called. I guess they had a bad batch get out and they just decided to stop the replacement deal. They definitely need to work on their quality control.

Joe, Good for you. I’m glad you got a good one. I hope I am the exception and not the rule. But now-a-days you never know. I just know that I am very POed.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5180 posts in 1998 days

#4 posted 01-27-2011 08:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem I do not have the dust deputy but I do have an Oneida Super dust gorilla that I have had for about 3 years now and it works flawlessly. I have dealt with Oneida customer service on several occasions and have been treated great.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#5 posted 01-27-2011 11:36 AM

Perhaps some threaded rod and a piece of ply w/ a hole in it to straddle the top and you can devise a “clamp” to keep the whole thing together. I made a thien mod for my craftsman shop vac. It gets all the chips, but the really light fines still clog the filter. I’ll post some pics tomorrow when I have more daylight.

View bluchz's profile

bluchz

187 posts in 2063 days

#6 posted 01-27-2011 01:20 PM

I had the same problem with mine. The top came off. after i rigged a holder to take the weight of the hose off the top and used silicon caulk to put the top back on i haven’t had any more trouble. I think my problem was the weight of the hose pulling on the top. I got the same non-response from oneida.

-- flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf[/flash]

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#7 posted 01-27-2011 02:47 PM

At the minimum, you should send them one more email, with a link to this review page.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#8 posted 01-27-2011 03:22 PM

Rand, I’ve been very happy with mine, but I got the whole unit, not just the cyclone part. I do agree, though, that there’s not much too it for what they charge.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

#9 posted 01-27-2011 03:24 PM

That is a pity Ran,
I was thinking of this type for my ROS’s

I’ll do a rethink.

Would it be worth using it as a template then making it in some
galvanised?

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

View Cliff De Witt 's profile

Cliff De Witt

#10 posted 01-27-2011 04:36 PM

I have had mine for about 6 months and have not had any problems. I frequently go past the length of my hose and pulling the unit over, I need to put it on wheels so it will follow.

The only thing I have seen is that the hose from the top to my shop vac gets bent to the point were it is almost crimped, but that is a problem with the hose not the deputy.

All in all I like mine very much, although Phil Thien’s loos good too.

-- Trying to find an answer to my son’s question: “…and forming organic cellulose by spinning it on its axis is interesting, why?”

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

#11 posted 01-27-2011 05:11 PM

They (onieda) are probably too busy suing Clearvue to deal with customer service issues…

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#12 posted 01-27-2011 05:34 PM

I’ll give you ten bucks for it…

#13 posted 01-27-2011 06:59 PM

Jamie, That’s an idea, make templates for a galvanized unit. I think I still have a few of the Allegheny 3 inch flanges from my tanker building days. I noticed that this is what you get to re-enforce the base of the plastic unit.Hmmmm

Blue jazz, after three calls, that is enough on my part. It is evident to me they have washed their hands of this.

Jim, I’ll PM you IF I don’t wreck it making the templates. I was thinking about doing them like I did Dell computer. Smash the thing to oblivion and mail it back to them with a note telling them what I think of their customer service they almost have.

In all fairness, I must say that this thing reminds me of the exceptional employee that never could get to work on time. He never did figure it out that no matter how good you are, if you ain’t at work, you ain’t worth a tinkers damn.
The Dust Deputy works great when it works, but it is nothing but aggravation when it’s not on the job.
Since it obvious to me that glue is not the answer, I may take Sarit’s idea and make a clamp to hold it together. I don’t know at the moment. This thing is just a big frustration. I think I’ll go to Harbor Freight and buy something just so I can return it.

View IceCactus's profile

IceCactus

#14 posted 01-27-2011 07:24 PM

First off, there is no reason you should be having to do this. Isn’t it warrantied?

My suggestion to fix is using a plastic welder. Its most likely made out of an unglueable type of plastic. I work int he RV industry and you cannot glue most the water tanks. You have to plastic weld them. Harbor Freight sells plastic welders, i got one for like $69 and welded my Holding Tank together on my camper. Doesnt look pretty, but its stronger then the original tank :) I think they have a cheapo welder for like $30 thats uses an air compressor too. The trick though is that the rods have to the same type of plastic.

IF you dont want to fix it how much you want for it? I am in need of one :)

#15 posted 01-27-2011 07:56 PM

Hey Ice,
Welcome to LJ. Great to have you. Jim got first dibs , but I’m going to make templates from it and pass them on to friends first. The metal one is really the best way to go. This plastic has not broke, but like you said, knowing the composition of the plastic to get the right repair equipment together is the key. I never thought to ask about the plastic when I called Oneida. I assumed it was a corporate secret.

I’m going to find a way to make this a winning situation and recoup my $100. More than likely when I’ll make a galvanized one for next to nothing and save myself $250 they want.

Warrantee? Maybe through Rockler. Oneida has refused to warrantee it. I guess the warrantee is only for less that 6 months.