Great for honing, but doesn't replace stones and grinders

Review by Hawgnutz posted 02-29-2008 06:50 PM 2685 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great for honing, but doesn't replace stones and grinders No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I love my Work Sharp! But it has limitations that you will have to work around. One major one is that it will not sharpen plane irons wider than two inches! When I tried to sharpen my iron from my #7, using their auxiliary sharpening fence, I inadvertantly added two extra angles. I then had to use my stones to correct these new angles.

When sharpening plane irons 2” and smaller, it does a good job, but you need to do the initial sharpening on a stone first, or be prepared to spend a lot of time and money with their sandpaper sharpening. But once the initial grind is established, this system is GREAT for repeatablity on your angles! Creating a micro bevel is as simple as clicking an adjuster to a new angle and grinding through the grits to get crisp micro bevel. This sharpener has made my block planes sing! And, oncde they lose their hone, it is a simple process to return them to sharpness! This has 4 angle settings, 20, 25, 30 and 35 degrees. These allow for precise, repeatable angles on your planes and chisels.

The ability to precisely flatten the back of your plane irons and chisels is one great feature of this tool! Another is its small footprint. That alows you to keep it on a side table/workbench for quick resharpening when needed.

You can find various 6” PSA aluminum oxide sandpaper at your local body shops in varying grits. Look for a hole punch that will punch the required center hole. I found a set on Ebay some years ago. I find that I only need to grind to 400 grit, then hone my iron or strop it on a piece of leather with jeweler’s rouge. Extra glass wheels are available for around $20, and a leather stropping wheel is available for $30. I already have a lot of lether scraps and some Barge cement, so I will be making my own stropping wheel with an extra glass wheel I have.

One of the realy neat things of this sharpening system is the slotted, see-through grinding wheels. I have not used these, but they say that it allows turners a way to see their tool’s edge as they sharpen them. Cool for turners!

I only gave it 4 stars due to its inability to sharpen plane irons wider than 2” but Work Sharp has said they will introduce, later this year, a jig that will allow the sharpening of these wider irons. I look forward to this, for sure!

View trifern's profile

trifern

#1 posted 02-29-2008 11:02 PM

Thanks for the review, Hawg. I have been curious about this tool.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

#2 posted 03-01-2008 01:42 PM

Hawg your review is on target. I have one of these and am happy with the sharpness of my chisels. I have tried stones and sandpaper but could never get the edge that I wanted. This tool produced a razor edge on my chisels and plane irons that make working with hand tools a pleasure.

#3 posted 03-01-2008 04:40 PM

Yes, this tool will put a sharp,accurate and rpeatable grind on your chisels and plane irons. My block plane just sang along some pine and maple after my first use of it! My chisels, even my cheap ones, shaved wood in mortises and releifs I needed to make.

It would have taken me longer to haul out my stones, bevel guide and such than it took me to put that razor hone on my good irons.

#4 posted 03-01-2008 05:26 PM

Great review.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#5 posted 03-02-2008 02:27 AM

I have one and I love it. It helps that I don’t have any planes with irons bigger than 2”.

View brunob's profile

brunob

#6 posted 03-02-2008 03:35 AM

I use mine for my carving tools. I am “sharpening challenged” so this tool is a huge asset for me.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View king's profile

king

#7 posted 06-06-2008 09:10 AM

After reading your review and afew other I bought the W/S3000 I am very happy with it so thanks alot.

-- franklinalbert@sbcglobal.net

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19468 posts in 2508 days

#8 posted 06-06-2008 01:33 PM

Great review, thanks for sharing.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

#9 posted 06-06-2008 04:36 PM

As an addition, I can get replacement PSA sandpaper, in varying grits at my local auto paint shop. (I use the 80 grit to resurface used planes from swap meet or Ebay.) this rough grit also helps to put that initial grind on new or old chisels that have the wrong grind to start with.

View Francis Coppage's profile

Francis Coppage

#10 posted 12-26-2008 05:51 PM

Merry Christmas … Got my 3000 yesterday and couldn’t wait to give it a shot. Found an old 1/2” chisel that I had picked up at an estate sale (didn’t want to jump on one of my good ones with out giving it a test run) that had been “hand sharpened” at some?? angle (who knows, it even had a camfer of about 15 degrees) and went through the steps as shown on the DVD. In about 10 mins (no pre-honeing or other prep) I had a squared edge that could shave the hair on my wrist and I could see myself in.

I have been using the plate glass and wet sandpaper system for quite sometime (picked it up from a FWW paper) so kinda knew what to expect from the different grits, but what use to take me 30-45 min (set up and clean up takes a bit-o-time) I will now be able to do in single digits … and then have right there to touch up at any time.

The DVD even shows how one can use and how easy it is to cut standard PSA 6” discs in stead of buying their discs … and I always have my set of X-acto knive handy.

The do have a top-end attachment now (abt $70) for wider blades. I only have one Lee that would require that so I’ll probably just stick with the hand method for the time being.

I know I’ll have a sharper shop with this gem around.

Best,
Francis

-- "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ... Albert Einstein

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#11 posted 12-31-2011 04:26 PM

Thought you may like to see my video of the Upgrades I made to the Work Sharp including one that allows you to use Tormek jigs AND how to use cheap buffing compound instead of sandpaper instead of diamond wheels and compounds:

#12 posted 12-31-2011 06:44 PM

Stumpy, those are some GREAT modifications! I just sprang for the DMT diamond wheels and while they are somewhat expensive, they sure put an edge on quick and DO NOT burn the blade!

I gotta build one of your sharpening stations. Using 1/2” MDF is sure a LOT cheaper than the diamond wheels!

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to checking the other posts at stumpynubs!

GFod Bless,