I wish I had this years ago

Review by HokieMojo posted 01-27-2011 04:56 AM 2686 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I wish I had this years ago No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife got me a craftsman impact driver for my birthday a while back. I know some people like to pick on craftsman, but I already had their cordless drill and I wanted to stick with interchangeable batteries. I use the 19.2V Ni-Cds. I know a lot of people swear by the Li-Ion, but those cost a lot more money. Now I’ll be able to upgrade in the future if I want, but based on my experience so far, I have no plans to do so.

This thing is AWESOME! I can drive a 3” screw into a 4×4 with no pilot holes (although I wouldn’t do this for a real project b/c it could split the wood). It will drive the head all the way into the wood without stripping it at all. I built an entire lumber rack with about 50 screws and not a single one stripped. Then I tightened all the bolts on my garage (I bought a 1/2 inch socket head adapter). All we nice and tight and I probably hit 50 of them in 5 minutes.

I’ve used this for a bunch of other things too. I can’t say enough good things about this. It has good balance, plenty of power, decent battery life. I’d recommend this to anyone that plans to build anything that involves lots of screws.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#1 posted 01-27-2011 05:06 AM

Yeah, impact drivers are seriously cool. I bought a Milwaukee combo about a year ago and I can’t imagine not having the impact driver in my kit.

The only thing to be careful of is that it will destroy non-hardened bits in a heartbeat. The same goes for regular sockets. Don’t ask me how I know this…

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View wseand's profile

wseand

#2 posted 01-27-2011 05:08 AM

nice review, those impacts are nice to have and the extra boost from the 19.2 volts must be nice.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#3 posted 01-27-2011 05:18 PM

I also have this impact driver and three drills. I got mine about five years ago. I only use the Ni-cads batterys and I have never had to buy a new battery. The battery would last me all day when I was working on my wife’s kitchen. It also holds a charge for months. The other day I was hanging a frame with a ¼ inch lag bolt and the impact driver broke the bolt. This of course was my fault because I did not drill a pilot hole. The only Craftsman power Tools I would buy are these 19.2 v battery operated ones. They are great.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View juicegoose's profile

juicegoose

#4 posted 01-27-2011 09:41 PM

I recently picked up one of these 19.2 impacts to add to my 19.2 collection. I use the LI ion battery packs and let me tell you this thing is a beast. I love my little bosch 12v impact driver but this guy will take the lug nutz off a vehicle. Highly recommend it and at 59 bucks for the tool alone it’s a steal.

View JeremyM's profile

JeremyM

#5 posted 01-29-2011 07:18 AM

I have a dewalt 18v cordless drill set and use them every day. Don’t know how I used to survive with corded drills.

-- Jeremy, http://projects-for-woodworking.com

View slimt's profile

slimt

#6 posted 02-21-2011 04:28 AM

I have the craftsman to it has never let me down the compares to all the others I’ve used it’ a good tool.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#7 posted 09-20-2011 01:54 PM

I’ve had one of these for a few years now…no issues, the original Nicad batteries are still going strong. My biggest complaint is the size and weight, but when I need some power this is the one I reach for.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#8 posted 02-14-2013 01:01 AM

I have 2 of the drill drivers and thinking about purchasing the impact

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country