AN IDEAL LIGHT FOR CLOSE WORK, (such as Carving, & Woodturning)

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 1282 days ago 3128 views 1 time favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
AN IDEAL LIGHT FOR CLOSE WORK, (such as Carving, & Woodturning) AN IDEAL LIGHT FOR CLOSE WORK, (such as Carving, & Woodturning) AN IDEAL LIGHT FOR CLOSE WORK, (such as Carving, & Woodturning) Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally started to continue carving on the Reverie Harp that I started about 2 years ago.

But I was set back with some delays, like repairing some needed things, like repair an Ant Damaged Gazebo Shed roof.

After that I had to take care of some health maintenance problems, such as Cataract surgery on one eye.

So now after all of that, I started carving on the Harp again. I wasn’t satisfied with the light source I’ve been using, so I took a trip to our local Walmart. I was looking in their hardware dept. but couldn’t find anything there. So i asked the clerk what else they had. He told me to check the area that had desk lamps, & I found just what I needed. I think this lamp is made exclusively for Walmart.

My only problem with this light, is I see a lot of flaws in my previous work I did on the Harp.

Now I have to go over what I had done before. I think my improved eyesight post cataract surgery also has a lot to do with it.

Pros of this product:

The light that it gives allows for shadow, that CFLs can’t do.

It gives off a natural light for true colors

Cool to touch, plus no radiant heat, like other type lights.

Easily adjust to aim at what you’re doing.

Low wattage, 2.4 Watts for the same amount of light as 60 Watt incandescents.

The cost was very reasonable, I bought it on sale for $15.98.

I was surprised because everything in LED is quite expensive.

I also bought one for use on my lathe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recommend this to anyone who has difficulty with lighting.

Some images, showing the light in use.

112001 posts in 2180 days

Looks like a great idea Dick thanks for the review and sharing

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Dick,

Thanks for pointing this out.

Lee

Dick Thanks. I’m going to check this out.

Thanks Guys!

I thought this would interest for those with old, & tired eyes,

but this is for everyone. If it helps OLD EYES,

it should also work for all of you youngsters out there.<(:O}$

View Jamie Speirs's profile

Jamie Speirs

Dick,
that’s great, also the improvement to your health

Be well Jamie

-- Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though 'twere his own. --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dick, & Barb Cain

Thank you for those kind words Jamie!

View Julian's profile

Julian

Thanks for the tip. I am in need of some task lighting and this looks like a great deal; even at the regular price of $20. I’m also a fan of LED lighting.

-- Julian

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19323 posts in 2454 days

Thanks Dick.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Billp's profile

Billp

Thanks Dick Iam going to get one of these for over my router table. I just got a incra jig and this should help me see those 1/32. March 18th. I go in for catarack evaluation for surgery. Has your surgery made a big difference in your vision?

-- Billp

View Roger's profile

nice light, but, a nicer project goin on there. awesome

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View scottie's profile

scottie

Now clamp that bad boy down so it doesnt’ tip. It is amazing what cataract surgery can do for your vision :o).

My experience was that the decline in vision is gradual, you think for a while it’s just time for a new set of glasses “one of these days”. You blink a lot trying to clear it and you blame it on tired eyes from the computer or the reading. It was the night vision, or lack thereof, that pushed me over the edge in thinking something more was wrong. (could not see a curb…dark yes, but should still be there, right? Well, it wasn’t for me) However, the change in my case was rather remarkable after surgery. I did not realize how bad it was. (I had one eye-age 44!)

-- ~the kids are off to college...time for Mom's new hobby~

View tdv's profile

tdv

Never mind the lamp Dick that carving work is beautiful that is going to be one fine instrument
Best wishes to you both
Trevor

-- God created wood that we may create. Trevor East Yorkshire UK

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

good idea…the lighting in my shop is not good at all…but I really notice when I turn…so this would help…

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View wchips's profile

wchips

nice lite thanks for sharing

-- wchips

View swirt's profile

swirt

1935 posts in 1575 days

That is a powerful review. Walmart.com is now all sold out of all of them. :)

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com