I forget that I am wearing them.

Review by Bill1974 posted 01-24-2011 07:05 PM 3631 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I forget that I am wearing them. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up these at the local Lowes this past weekend. I needed something other then the little foam things you roll up and stick in you ear as I was going to use an medium sized electric demo hammer to chip up the porcelain floor tile in a bathroom I am redoing.

Overall the sound deadening ability is very good. I would guess they would work fine in most applications. TV at a normal level is barely audible with them on. Now using an angle grinder is not so annoying.
The radio reception is ok. I wish it were better, but I always find a station that enjoy listening to. The sound quality is pretty good too, but I am not an audio expert and i am sure there are much better sound head phones.
They are comfortable and not to heavy and are solid feeling. They fit my largish head fine and my wifes much smaller one too.
I wear glasses and they fit fine over them. Safety goggle are a different story. With some adjusting of everything you can get it comfortable and the ear muffs doing their job, but it takes some fiddling.

The only downside I see is the battery door cover looks and feels like it’s going to break off after changing the batteries a few times. But i would not worry about the batteries falling out they are in there nice and tight, a little bit of pain to take out the batteries.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 01-24-2011 09:39 PM

I had a pair of these. They worked fine when I was outdoors mowing the lawn. However, in my workshop, which is in the basement, I could not get good enough reception. I gave up using them as a radio when in the workshop.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

#2 posted 01-24-2011 10:33 PM

I have a pair of Peltor (non-audio) in the shop that I use whenever I am using power equipment especially the planer. I have used them both professionally on the job and in the shop for years. My shop is equipped with a good sterio system and XM radio which is well worth the price.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View Kenshu's profile

Kenshu

23 posts in 2025 days

#3 posted 01-25-2011 12:25 AM

I have these as well and also experirnced the same poor reception. I took some speaker wire and wrapped it around the antenna, seemed to help a lot.

-- The second mouse gets the cheese.

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

#4 posted 01-25-2011 01:38 AM

I’ve got two pairs: an analog tuning and a digital tuning pair. Bought the digital pair because the battery cover came off while I was mowing and I never saw it again! But after I bought the digital tuning pair, I decided that I could just tape the batteries in the analog set and live with them!

The old analog set gets a better signal everywhere.

The digital pair works well while mowing, but I use the analog pair everywhere else!

View Joe Weaver's profile

Joe Weaver

#5 posted 01-25-2011 02:31 AM

I also have these and like them. As for lisrening to music I either plug in my Ipod or my smart phone and listen to Panorda radio

-- Joe, Ga

View papadan's profile

papadan

1153 posts in 2025 days

#6 posted 01-25-2011 02:46 AM

I read a study a couple years ago that found the foam inserts actually do a better job of protecting your hearing than the muff type. Study claimed it was due to the hollow chamber inside the muffs that allowed the sound vibrations to continue into the ear canal. I use a radio in the shop, but would never use headphones or earplugs to listen, I want to hear all the noises my machinery make to insure nothing is going wrong. Normal ear plugs allow me to hear everything, just not as loud.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View Angela's profile

Angela

#7 posted 01-25-2011 10:12 AM

Thanks for your review but I also wanted to tell people about the Bilsom Radio Hi-Visibility Earmuffs w/ MP3 Input. I searched the web and found the best price at a company I have never used before called www.boss-safety.com. I have an old pair of the Worktunes analog/dial tuned version. They worked OK but I didn’t want to chance their digital because of the reviews on Amazon.com. When I first put the Bilsom earmuffs on and turned on the radio, I couldn’t believe the sound quality. It wasn’t even close to my old Worktunes. This was like a quality radio. I was only able to receive a few stations with the Worktunes but with these I think I’m able to receive as many stations as my car radio. I’ve used them for about 6 months now, using the AM, FM and the ipod adapter. I can’t say enough good things about them except the color. The neon yellow isn’t the best. They seem to weight the same as my Worktunes and the earmuffs get just as hot as the Worktunes. So far I’ve used them for doing the yard work (mower, blower and cutter) and various woodworking machines (table saw, planer, bandsaw) in the garage.

Someone mentioned to me that they thought they were made by Stanley tool company. They’re not I contacted the company and asked them.

Thanks
Angela

-- www.WoodWorkersWebsite.com - Helping other woodworker's

View Mark Blomster's profile

Mark Blomster

#8 posted 01-27-2011 12:51 AM

I have 2 pairs, like many other people. I had a pair that worked great for about a year, then would not hold a frequency and would skip around from static to random frequencies that I had not programmed. I tried to contact the manufacturer and had no luck. Rockler would not exchange them for me so I waited until they went on sale and bought a 2nd pair (then returned the defective pair with the receipt). Take that, Rockler! I don’t feel too guilty with the amount of money I spend there! Anyway, both pairs are working fine and I’m happy with them.

One other bonus, living in Minnesota, they work great as ear muffs in a cold shop or snow blowing a driveway!!!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#9 posted 01-28-2011 11:04 PM

The radio reception is definitely a weak point for the Work Tunes. This is espeically so for the AM radio. It is just lousy..

However it works extremely well with my iPod shuffle or iPhone which is what I mainly use it with. So I’m happy.