Kerfmaker - Bridge City

Review by Rick posted 01-24-2011 04:23 PM 6315 views 5 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kerfmaker - Bridge City Kerfmaker - Bridge City Kerfmaker - Bridge City Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife surprised me with this last night. Hey, I deserved it. That snowblower doesn’t steer itself :)

What it does: (see link. it explains it better than I can)

Here’s another review showing what it does:

I knew it would be small so I wasn’t surprised there. I immediately went to loosen the thumb screws and mess around with it, but I couldn’t get the silver one loose. About 5 minutes later I got it to give. You can Easily over tighten these. I think that possibly a finer thread could have been used. Although that may lead to easily over tightening as well. Other than that, the fit and finish of this little guy is superior. It’s one high end looking little tool.

I had thought about making my own like many others have. It would have taken a decent amount of time to get it perfect, but taking a long time on a project wasn’t new to me. I had even ordered some little thumb wheels a while ago. I decided to not make it and desire one from Bridge City because it’s ultimately not a bad price for something so useful, it’s going to last a very long time, looks beautiful and it gives credit where credit is due.

This is going to come in handy so many times.

View Rick's profile

View DaytonB's profile

#1 posted 01-24-2011 04:41 PM

very cool tool
may just have to get one.

View sedcokid's profile

#2 posted 01-24-2011 07:35 PM

Never saw one of these, must check it out

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View eruby's profile

#3 posted 01-24-2011 11:18 PM

I also have one.
This is one of the few tools that is actually as easy to use as the promotional videos make it out to be.

-- Eric - Baltimore MD

View jack1's profile

2015 posts in 3114 days

#4 posted 01-25-2011 04:01 AM

I’m gonna have to admit ignorance but what is this used for? Thanks.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View Beezle's profile

#5 posted 01-25-2011 04:58 AM

Jack, I have one and have used it to make dados.

You set one end to the width of the tool’s kerf, say the blade on a saw. You set the other end to the thickness of the material that needs to fit into the dado.

Then you use it up against a stop along a perpendicular fence such as those along the back of a SCMS and easily cut a very accurate dado.

I find it is well made and works great.

View jack1's profile

2015 posts in 3114 days

#6 posted 01-25-2011 05:26 AM

Ah, got it. Thanks.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View michelletwo's profile

#7 posted 01-26-2011 03:20 PM

THanks for the review on a handtool. Looks useful. But my question is: what would you have gotten if you used a shovel? :-)

View Rick's profile

#8 posted 01-26-2011 05:24 PM

a sore back and the desire to buy a snowblower

View tyka's profile

#9 posted 04-19-2011 12:18 AM

You don’t know how smart a decision this was :-) I built the T-track model and figure I made about $2.00 an hour. The parts are just too small to make. I don’t mind spending days to build jigs, but this one…. I’m not sure it’s worth the work. I like yours much better. lol Tks for the nice pics.

-- Paul, Plantagenet, Ontario