The new Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw with articulating nuckles and no rails

Review by ellen35 posted 1178 days ago 7450 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The new Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw with articulating nuckles and no rails The new Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw with articulating nuckles and no rails The new Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw with articulating nuckles and no rails Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was at the New England Woodworking Show last week not really looking for anything in particular when I happened on the new Bosch Miter Saw. I had looked at the Festool… too expensive and I hate that your blades are limited by the size of the arbor & that Festool wants you to buy their blades. I started really looking at the Bosch and the price was so good ($694 show price) that I ended up ordering one the next day. It came on Wednesday but I didn’t have time to do anything but read the manual until today. So… today I put it together and put it through a minor workout on some hard maple and some poplar. This is what I found:

Packing/Unpacking/Set-up – Definitely the easiest I have done in a long time. It would have been a “right out of the box” use except that, in true LJ fashion, I wanted to use a better blade. I installed a 90 tooth Freud on it. Otherwise, it was a pick it up out of the box, add a few handles here and there and check for level.

First use – It was smoother than I could ever imaging. The knuckles are totally in sync and glide along. There is a little kick when it is turned on but the instruction manual warns about this. If there was a minor issue, it was the Switch Lock button. It was a little hard. But it was manageable with practice. The cut was perfect after some minor adjustments, most likely due to the blade change. The cut was as smooth as the proverbial baby’s bottom. Lorna (moonls) stopped by later and I had her try it. All the stops were spot on and the miter detent system was excellent. The system offers you the option of overriding any of the standard detent slots and allows you to set your own. This is particularly helpful when you get close to a pre-set detent – say like 45.5 degrees – it doesn’t slip back to 45 degrees on you (I can’t imagine why I’d want 45.5 degrees but I can do it!). It is really a zero wall clearance saw too with a substantial post holding the saw.

Things I haven’t done yet – (applies to the saw only!) – I haven’t done bevel cuts yet or compound cuts. I would think they would be just as smooth and easy. A great feature of this saw is the ability to set bevels from the front of the saw. I haven’t tried cutting grooves either and doubt I will.

So far, I am impressed with the operation of this saw. The price was really good (shipping was $15 for me, less than the CT tax if I were to drive the 2 hrs to pick it up) and the workmanship seems to be consistent with the Bosch name. I will update this review as appropriate but right now, with limited use, I give this 5 stars.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2544 posts in 1931 days

View GMman's profile

GMman

Very interesting and good to know the 5 stars, thanks Ellen for the review posting.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

Thanks for the review; I’m in the hunt for a new MS and this is definetely a front runner.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2254 posts in 1936 days

Ellen, I’ve got the model like this but the slider. Had it for a couple years now and am impressed with Bosch stuff. I’ve got a few of their other tools too. I’ve been reading about this one and it looks like a promising improvement over other sliders. Great buy and I hope it continues to be all you expect.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2544 posts in 1931 days

Deke,
Dust collection is so-so. I am in the process of hooking it into my HF dust collector. The little bag that comes with it is worthless… but they are on every SCMS I have ever used. I’ll post more on dust collection in a couple of weeks when I have a better handle on it.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View grizzman's profile (online now)

grizzman

your review sounds very promising for when the next saw is needed, i also have some other tools that are made by bosch and have been very pleased…now as for the kick when you first start it…i would recommend a new gym work out and buff up those arms for this new beefy motor…lol…...giving shots all day aint doin it…thanks ellen …good review…grizz

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

Thanks for the review. I can’t believe there’s no soft start! However, I really do like the idea behind this saw. Congrats.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

650 posts in 2007 days

The overpriced Festool is not even in the same league as the new Bosh GCM12SD. you have the best.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View brunob's profile

brunob

Ellen,
Thanks for the review. I’m with you – Festool is way too expensive.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View moonls's profile

moonls

I was certainly impressed with this saw too Ellen! You should get lots of use from this saw for years to come, and thanks for the opportunity to give it a “test drive”!

-- Lorna, Cape Cod

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

A fantastic saw…I have a bosch 10 ” slider I bought about three years ago and it is great…but I sure would like to have this new model. Price is very good especially with all the quality features.
All miter saws seem to be so-so when it comes to dust collection and alot of innovation is required to collect dust.
I know you will love your saw…

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View donnyTop5's profile

donnyTop5

I’ve been shopping for chop saws these last few months, great review. Thanks for taking the time to post :)

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

1202 posts in 2025 days

Nice review Ellen. Congratulations on the purchase and best wishes with your new toy!

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2094 posts in 2226 days

looks like quite the saw. congrats on the purchase. It is still a bit out of my price range, but for those with the means, I could see this being a great tool. very nicely written review.

View patron's profile (online now)

patron

look’s like some pretty fancy dancing

up front controls
and tucks in closer to the wall

glad you are moving up
and bosch is the way to go

most of the ‘new’ innovations
in tools
were started by bosch
then copied by others

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I’ve heard nothing but good things about this saw, since its release.

The fact that you GOT one … well … just pushes you one more step ahead in the “cooler than OTHER kids” race ;-)

Thanks for the review, and congrats on the purchase :-)

-- -- Neil