Decent Dust Collection Really Cheap

Review by patcollins posted 1279 days ago 3764 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Decent Dust Collection Really Cheap Decent Dust Collection Really Cheap No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My 1970’s Craftsman Contractors saw has zero dust collection and much of it falls straight down so I thought about using some sort of bag for it. I happened on this canvas “Table Saw Dust Bag” at Harbor Freight and it was only $5.99 so I thought I would give it a whirl. The material is pretty cheap and the snaps aren’t anywhere close to being put on straight or even, but that’s alright.

The bag came with the male end of the snaps attached to sheet metal screws. I thought no way am I putting holes in my saw’s stand to put this on. I got some “Rare Earth Magnets” from HF for another $1.99 and glued them inside the snaps with Household Goop. The thing goes on my saw stand perfectly and can hold quite a bit of weight before the magnets slide down and come off.

The downsides are the bag is cheap and will probably eventually need replaced and it could be a bit longer but I dont plan on waiting till its full anyway to empty it.

I would give the “Rare Earth Magnets” and “Household GOOP” 5 stars but I am not writing reviews for a few magnets and some glue.

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

Hmmm…..a sawdust diaper…what will they think of next ??? : )

Nice idea with the magnets and GOOP !

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

I have a contractor saw as well, but didn’t like the bag style collectors. Instead I cut a piece of 1/4” plywood and got the 14” dust hood (Rockler sells them, as do lots of others online) and made a cutout in the plywood for it. I attached the hood to the plywood with bolts drilled through the plastic lip, and sealed it with some caulk. If you have a dust collector, I’d definitely recommend doing it this way as it works great for me – it would be only slightly more expensive than what you describe above.

View NH_Hermit's profile

NH_Hermit

I just purchased a Dust Cutter from Amazon and installed it yesterday. I’ve cut one piece since then so can’t comment yet on the quality.

At $30, it’s a tad more expensive than HF, but it did seem to fit well on my Skil saw. I do like the idea of attaching the vac to it and the zippered discharge slot. It attaches with a Velcro strip so the seal seems tight enough. Time will time, but it’s better than nothing right now.

Here’s the link:

-- John from Horse Shoe

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

I also have problems with dust dropping out the bottom of my saw despite it having a dust extraction outlet. I Googled for ‘dust bag for saw’ and found the version sold by HF, but no one selling this or similar items on this side of the pond – only more expensive mini ‘systems’.

So – I remembered the cover I made for my hand-cranked organ from an awning that had been replaced after it discoloured, and thought I could make a dust bag myself. I borrowed my wife’s sewing machine again and produced a bag – not Saville Row quality but effective. (As instructed, I threw away the needle after use as it would no longer be suitable for her patchwork)

I also purchased some rare earth magnets, but was dubious about sticking them to the polyester ‘canvas’ material. However, as I – luckily – had used canvas that already had a seamed turnover, and that was at the top of the bag, I was able to cut small slits in the turnover and slide in 20mm dia, 3mm thick magnets near each corner – eight in all. The magnets grab firmly through the canvas, onto the inside of the stand.

Here’s the finished job, with the organ and its cover in the background.

I wonder if the weight of sawdust when the bag is nearly full might cause the magnets to release – making a self-checking ‘full’ indicator :-)

So, many thanks for posting the review and your modifications – it helped me solve an ongoing irritant.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

I liked the striped fabric.

I usually wheel my saw outside on my driveway to do my cutting so that my garage isn’t any more dusty than it already is. I just riped about 20 ft worth of oak and my cheapo dust bag saved from having to use a broom and dustpan on the driveway. So in my eyes it was a well spent $8.

View NH_Hermit's profile

NH_Hermit

OK, I had a chance to try out the new dusk cutter over the weekend and am very pleased, especially when I attached the shop vac to it. I’m guessing it took 95%+ of the dust. To me, this was money well spent.

-- John from Horse Shoe