Kelton Center Saver

Review by EbenGP posted 1284 days ago 2859 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kelton Center Saver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first post, i’m not using my english very often, so i hope you will understand my post

I like to turn bowls from green wood, after a couples of bowls i was impress with all the rip on the floor, when you make a bowl with 11” dia. and 6” high you got a lot of rip. I have some nice green wood waiting for turning and i wanted to get the most of it. That’s wy i have bought a Kelton Center Saver.

I have the small and the standard set, with these two set you can make all the curve you need to save the most of your wood. First i turn the bowl with the shape i want and after i process to get out the biggest one of this blank. After i reinstall the blank i got out and try to take another one out to finish at the end with 3 bowls looking the same shape.

This piece of green wood is 11” dia. and 10” high

I have tried two way to do my blanks, first with my intuition with the blade i’ve choose to do the first blank out of the big bowls, this was the wrong way, i have past trought the blank and scrap the big one.

The best way is to make a draft on a paper with the curves you need to do, after you take your cutter and try it on your curve and choose the right cutter to use for each step. With this method you put all your chances on your side.

After i make my 3 blanks. When the blanks dones, i put Pentacryle (sealing and drying stuff prevent craks) and wait around 2 months drying process depend of the size of the piece. For a piece that have 10” dia. it’s good to keep a 1” thick. The formula is to keep 10% of your diameter.

I hope you enjoyed my post

-- "Mistakes are the portals of discovery" Guy, Granby,Qc

View EbenGP's profile

EbenGP

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Thank you for your excellent review. Don’t worry about your English. It is very good.

I think the Kelton center saver is a good idea. However, I once did some calculations and determined that I would have to use it on at least 50 bowls (probably more) before it would pay for itself. So far, I have decided not to buy one.

If anyone is interested, here is a good video on how one uses this device -

Great job and a nice review …I understood your English very well : )
Rich , thanks for the link .

View FordMike's profile

FordMike

155 posts in 2068 days

Good post, I use the Kelton Bowl saver also, but for slightly different reason, I turn a lot of bowls 25 to 30 per week, mostly Burl and Highly figured wood, and every once in a while you will come across a sprectacular piece of wood and I want to be able to capture as much as possible. I like the Kelton system, I use diamond plates to sharpen the tips.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

I haven’t started turing yet, but I have been wondering about this. Thanks for the post, loved it!!

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

fun to read posting… hope are enjoying yourself

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain