Pricey, but worth it

Review by CutNRun posted 2338 days ago 3864 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pricey, but worth it Pricey, but worth it No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This past Christmas I left a subtle hint for my wife in the form of printed web sites showing both the Starrett 4” double square and the Starrett 12” combination square. I was hoping to get either one as a present. My wonderful wife got me both. I already had some cheap, big box store squares. The rules never slid smoothly and sometimes the locking screw wouldn’t hold the rule in position.

The difference with the Starrett squares is dramatic. The thumb screws lock down securely. I know the squares are true and the graduations are easy to read. Well, except the 1/64th graduations. But that is due to my needing to put on my reading glasses to see things that small. The 4” square is particularly handy, residing in my shop apron pocket for instant access. These tools are like purchasing a high quality knife for the kitchen; you only spend the money once and the tools last a lifetime.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

I see by the dings that the 4” double square is your favorite.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View FrankA's profile

FrankA

I have a starett combination square that was my grandfathers it has to be 50yrs old and it is as true today as it was when new. Starett makes great tools that your grandkids will treasure.

-- Frank Auge---Nichols NY----"My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, but it is price competitive."

View MrWoody's profile

MrWoody

Thanks for the review, these are going on my Xmas wish list.

-- If we learn from our mistakes, I'm getting a fantastic education.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Thanks for the review; I too received one for Christmas and am now lusting after the 12” Combo square. In retrospect would you spend the additional money for the extra heads on the 12” combo?