Grizzly Cabinet Saw Review G0690

Review by Sherwood posted 01-15-2011 06:05 AM 5766 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Cabinet Saw Review G0690 Grizzly Cabinet Saw Review G0690 Grizzly Cabinet Saw Review G0690 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used LumberJocks extensively to look at reviews of tools so I thought I would join and contribute with some content of my own.

I purchased this table saw about 2 months ago and have been happy with my decision. Grizzly has recently started to ship to Canada so this has opened another possibility with regard to the saws I looked at. In summary I considered General, Delta, Jet, SawStop and decided on Grizzly because of the value for the money and I like the company and owners story.

UPS shipped the saw and other than seeing that the saw had tipped over in the truck everything was fine with no issues due to the good crating. I paid for the tail gate service and UPS was able to use a pallet jack and drop the saw and other boxes right inside my garage. Due to the weight of the saw I would recommend this service.

I spent a few hours over the course of two or three days assembling the saw with good directions and there were no real issues other than with the riving knife/splitter that I will explain later. The saw was fairly well set up from the factory. I did assemble it on the Shop Fox base which I have had no problems with but I have read that others have reported that it was weak.

I put weatherstripping on the cabinet door to to increase the suction from the dust collector, now it sits comfortably against the cabinet with a little cushion as well.

I also replaced the cord for the saw with 20 feet of 12/2 cabtire. I like this wire and find it supple yet very durable in a shop environment. I also changed the plug to a 6-20 twist lock which provides a little security at the receptacle.

The only real issue I have had so far with the saw was with the riving knife. During the set-up of the saw I noticed that the blade was making slight contact with the splitter adjustment block (P0690202) and the base of the riving knife. I called the tech support line and they suggested the block was 1) installed backwards 2) machined wrong. Both issues were not the cause of the contact so I contacted them again, this time they said it was likely the cause of an incorrectly machined bull gear (P0690201). This part was back ordered so I had to wait a couple of weeks for it to show up. Once it did I took some preliminary measurements and figured it probably wasn’t that either. I called the tech support again and between the two of us determined the best solution was to grind the parts to provide enough clearance for the blade. Approximately 3-4mm or 1/8”.

I scribed the parts and ground them with with an arc that would follow the blade. I’m very happy with my fix but am puzzled at the need to do this. It seems to me to be a design issue with the splitter adjustment block or the machining on the bull gear may need to be drilled a little further away providing more clearance.

On the little bit of work I have done since getting the saw I have been very happy. The saw seems to have lots of power, is easy to adjust and a pleasure to operate.

Since you can’t use a thin kerf blade, I have ordered a couple of Freud blades with the correct kerf thickness the P410 and and 80 tooth LU80M.

Overall very happy with the saw and the quality of service and products from Grizzly. I hope this review will be helpful in some way to anyone shopping for this saw.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#1 posted 01-15-2011 06:51 AM

I’m two things:

1) Slightly envious of your new saw, and …

2) Very grateful for your review.

Grizzly is definitely on my short list for … if I ever upgrade to a cabinet saw … along with SawStop, Unisaw, PMs, General, and …. more likely … an old Uni that I fix up.

Enjoy it !

-- -- Neil

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#2 posted 01-15-2011 12:00 PM

Very nice review. Grizzly is also on my short list, though I am still a year out on my purchase.

-- Scott in Texas

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

#3 posted 01-15-2011 03:17 PM

You mention you “can’t use a thin kerf” blade. Is this due to the size of the riving knife, and if so, is there no option to switch out that knife for a thinner version? I’d like to move up to a nice cabinet saw from my trusty Craftsman w/Incra TSLS-32 setup and these are things I’ll need to know when making my own decision about which saw down the line. Thanks.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View FMG's profile

FMG

65 posts in 1967 days

#4 posted 01-15-2011 03:28 PM

Sherwood, Great review. I just bought a GO690 about 10 months ago and am very pleased also. I am using a Forest Woodworker II thin kerf (3/32) blade with no trouble. Thought you might want to try that. How do you like the shop fox base? I have an HTC3000 and it works but not overly impressed. The shop fox casters and stabilizer/leveling set up looks a little nicer but never saw one up close.

-- FMG- Woodworking is 90% mental the other half is physical

View Recut's profile

Recut

#5 posted 01-15-2011 11:17 PM

I also have a Grizzly and have been extremely happy with it. Up until now the only complaint I have had with my saw was the dust pickup. Thanks for the idea of the weather stripping on the cabinet door. I hope it helps. I hope you have nothing but happy experiences with your new saw.

The only problem that I have heard from others is the inability to find the On-switch without looking down for it. I resolved this small issue with a stick-on button. This was at the suggestion of a friend that happens to be blind.

-- Jim, Richmond Virginia - Plan your work - Work your plan.

#6 posted 01-16-2011 04:03 AM

RUINTUIT,

The Riving Blade or Splitter can accommodate a body of .071 ~ .094 and a kerf of .102 ~ .126. This is printed on the Riving Knife. As far as I know Grizzly does not offer a solution for thin kerf blades unless the blade falls into the thicknesses above.

I figure the saw has a 3hp motor so I have opted for blades on the thick side. Might help with stability too. Not sure.

#7 posted 01-16-2011 04:10 AM

FMG,

Thanks for the suggestion on the blade.

I have seen a lot of negative comments on the Shop Fox base but I’m quite satisfied with mine. I have one on my table saw which is about 500lbs and it handles it well and is stable.

I also have one on my band saw which does not stretch its capacity at all due to the relatively light weight of ~200lbs and one on my drill press.

#8 posted 01-16-2011 04:11 AM

Recut,

Thanks for the suggestion for the on button. I have the same issue since it is flush.

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#9 posted 01-16-2011 05:04 AM

I have a friend that just bought this saw not that long ago and is very pleased with it.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

#10 posted 01-17-2011 01:54 AM

Nice review Sherwood and congrats on the new saw. I like the idea of weatherstripping and the cable.

I think that Grizzly offers a really good value for the money.

With the saw being 3hp most would probably just use a reg keff blade since it’s got the muscle behind it.

Welcome to LJ btw also :) Looking forward to other reviews and projects.

Kevin

-- Williamsburg, KY

View Mary Anne's profile

Mary Anne

#11 posted 01-17-2011 02:05 AM

Congratulations on your new saw. I’ve had my G0690 for about a year and it has performed wonderfully.

Thanks for the weatherstripping tip! Why didn’t I think of that? LOL!

View mrjoeg's profile

mrjoeg

#12 posted 01-17-2011 04:22 AM

Good job on the 12/2 so cord with the NEMA L- 620 plug.

-- Joe