All I wanted was quiet but recieved so much more

Review by Siegel_KenEvil posted 01-12-2011 01:39 PM 6358 views 1 time favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
All I wanted was quiet but recieved so much more No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been wanting to replace my noisy Rigid only because it’s noisy. I wasn’t expecting all the other features.

The wall mount frees up valuable floor space.

The hoses are much more flexible than I’m accustom to. They feel more like rubber than plastic. They are the smaller diameter but the the main unit and the hose ends appears to be able to accept the larger (2.25” I think) hoses if you prefer.

I like the conventional dust bag. It appears to be an option because there is also a filter. This is an option I will use because I hated the dust cloud created every time I cleaned out my old shop-vac.

The wall mount was easy to install because all the holes were in line so I only had to find one stud to hang it. It has several nice and easy to use storage features for accessories.

The remote on/off switch is worth $30 alone and works as expected. I shouldn’t have to explain how valuable this is.

Best of all… it’s quiet!!!! That was the main objective. I was afraid I was going to have to purchase an expensive European model to get the sound down to an acceptable level.

As far as suction, it sucks. I laughed when I saw the valve to bleed off suction like on my Grandma’s old vacuum but surprisingly, I found I have to use it.

#1 posted 01-12-2011 03:06 PM

Wow,
An alternative to Festool at a sensible price. I believe it’s made here too. Can you confirm that ?
Did you purchase it at Lowe’s ?

Thanks

#2 posted 01-12-2011 03:37 PM

I did purchase it a Lowe’s for $79 before taxes. I would be surprised if it was made here but I will look tonight and post what I find.

I’m not sure if it’s as quiet as a Festool and maybe it’s not any quieter than any modern shop vac today. My Rigid was 10 years old and was a screamer. I would estimate I would need to run 4 Kobalts to match the noise from the old Rigid. You can have a conversation around it without raising your voice much. It’s quieter than my household vacuum.

I really wish they posted decibel levels for shop vacs. I tried unsuccessfully to find this information. I contacted Shop-Vac (the company) and inquired about decibel levels on their “quiet series” but didn’t receive a reply. I even subscribed to consumer reports but they didn’t have any information either.

Lowe’s let me open the box and run it before I purchased it.

#3 posted 01-12-2011 03:49 PM

I was curious as to country of origin as all the Kobalt drill bits, drivers, etc. at Lowe’s are marked “made in USA”
I just found this:

Kobalt (KobaltTools.com)

Tools

Made in USA (per magazine ad per 4-6-99 email from U.S. Stuff visitor)
Forged and formed in the USA
“All Kobalt Tools are forged in the USA from 100% high alloy steel.” (per 4-9-99 email from Kobalt Tools)

Available for purchase at Lowe’s Building & Supply, other retailers and directly from Kobalt Tools Web site.
(Thanks to the U.S. Stuff visitor who emailed the information.)

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#4 posted 01-12-2011 04:29 PM

I have a 12 gal Rigdig I got on sale for around $30 from HD. It is a banshee! I think its louder than my DC so I cringe when I have to use it. I also don’t like they dont have dust bags for the 12 gal model that I can find easily. THanks for the review, I may have to upgrade to this.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 01-12-2011 05:40 PM

Thanks, I am looking for a 3rd small vacuum and noise is the only qualification (not used for woodworking dust, so filtration qualities are not AS important), I’ll check this one out.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Cory's profile

723 posts in 2075 days

#6 posted 01-12-2011 08:59 PM

I just picked one of these up this morning based on your review, Scott. I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket! I’ll get it set up tonight and report back on my sound level experience. I plan on putting it on a mobile cart and hooking it up to my dust deputy. I’ll use it for general clean up and hooked up to my sander and router table.

Thanks for the review!

Cory

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#7 posted 01-12-2011 10:04 PM

THX for post. Is there a noise rating or what would you guesstimate it is?

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

#8 posted 01-12-2011 11:47 PM

Hi,

I been working on dust collection in my shop, it can take alot of time and money. I enjoy working out there and my worst fear is that I am endangering my health. sometimes I hate Bill Pentz and his site although he is only helping me. If you read Bill’s stuff he calls these things “DUST BLOWERS” meaning you might be better off to leave the dust on the ground.

please please anyone tell me its not so as I am saving to buy a festool. I have moved my DC out of the shop and piped the inside with 6” pvc. Still working on hoods for each station.

Bob

I think that it is kool that it converts to a blower @ 160 cfm wonder if it would run a hvlp paint gun

#9 posted 01-13-2011 06:52 AM

Good info thx for the post!

#10 posted 01-13-2011 01:58 PM

Cory, how did you like it?

View Cory's profile

723 posts in 2075 days

#11 posted 01-13-2011 05:16 PM

Scott,

I only had a few minutes last night to play with my new toy. The jury is still out. I’ve got two issues after quickly messing with the vac: The first is the hose. I can’t connect it to my dust deputy without an adapter and it’s not very long or flexible. The second is the noise. I did a quick side by side comparison with my Craftsman 16 gallon 5hp vac and I didn’t notice a difference.

There are several things that I really like, though. The remote is SWEET. I had my old vac connected to a tool regulated outlet and it works well, but the remote is a great feature. I also can’t believe how small the vac is for that amount of power. It’s not much bigger than a backpack but the suction is excellent. The wall mounting feature is very convenient, too. You mount the bracket to the wall with screws, then the vac has a cleat so it can be easily removed and drug around the shop.

If I keep it, I’m going to build a new cart for my dust deputy and the vac. I’ll mount the vac to the cart.

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.

#12 posted 01-13-2011 05:40 PM

I was afraid of that. To me, the noise was incredibility quiet but that’s relative to a 10 year old Rigid.

#13 posted 01-13-2011 06:25 PM

Siegal
Did you look for country of origin ?

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

320 posts in 2029 days

#14 posted 01-14-2011 04:56 PM

good review – may have to check this out; my Rigid is a screamer for sure.

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...

View bvdon's profile