Porter-Cable 12v Lithium Combo Drill and Driver

Review by WoodJediNTraining posted 01-12-2011 12:26 AM 6075 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable 12v Lithium Combo Drill and Driver Porter-Cable 12v Lithium Combo Drill and Driver No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

By no means am I an expert qualified to give a professional review of this combo pack. But as the owner of a Remodeling company and a hobbyist woodworker I wanted to give my input on the dynamic duo…

First off, Guys everything you hear about “Size Matters” is a myth in this case!! When it comes to the compact power of these mini work horses, don’t let the size fool you..

After purchasing my first set, I put it straight into the mix. From the very first jobsite, this pair has not let me down. The driving power of the impact drill was so impressive, I find myself reaching for it, more then my trusted hammer drill. From Wood Screws to Tap Cons, this tool has exactly what it takes to tackle the task at hand. And with the 30 minute charger, and batteries which hold their charge very well, there is very little down time with this pair.

I have become such a fan of this team of torque, I purchased additional sets for my workshop and my other work truck. When it comes to pocket screws, or tackling any of my woodworking needs in the shop where a drill it the tool for the job…These two stand out and definitely get the job done….

I would recommend you give them a try, and for the price of the pair, its an investment that will pay for itself in no time…

In my area, the pair which comes with The Drill, Driver, 2 batteries and a 30 minute charger all nestled neatly in the carrying bag with individual compartments for each tool and charger..the price range is around $139.00 ....Happy Drilling

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#1 posted 01-12-2011 03:32 AM

Thanks for the review! Been putting off getting a cordless set for a while – torn between 18V Makita and this one, which is $100 cheaper. Got a deck and bathroom remodel coming up so your perspective as a remodeler is appreciated…

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

#2 posted 01-12-2011 05:45 AM

Well another added feature of these tools is a belt clip that is changable to the left or right side of the tool….Light weight instead of laying it down just clip it on and anytime you need to reach for it, its there, just like a trusty tape measure… As far as your Deck Live4ever…. The impact drill will handle the deck screws very well …

View Resurrected's profile

Resurrected

#3 posted 01-12-2011 06:06 AM

Looks good missed a deal I guess over the holiday. Looking for one of these for small spaces. Thanks for sharing.

-- Who can I block now???????????????????????

#4 posted 01-12-2011 06:58 AM

HA Ha Ha… Oh my Deke I have never laughed so hard…Great Comment!!! But let me leave you with these words of wisdom…...Change is inevitable – except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher :O)

View Gator's profile

Gator

#5 posted 01-12-2011 04:08 PM

I saw a picture of a bench somewhere and a guy had screwed a piece of abs pipe to the side of it for a “holster” to keep his cordless drill in.. I too stand mine on the bench, but this would work great I think..
I use my big 18v for drilling and find it a pain to switch to the screw bit, even with the quick adapters.. they are always so long in a tight spot.. so I have been thinking of getting a small drill for screw bits only… my boys got me a HD gift card for xmas.. and I think I may have just found the perfect gift.. Thanks Jedi.

Gator

-- Master designer of precision sawdust and one of a kind slivers.

#6 posted 01-12-2011 06:17 PM

Good Idea on the drill holster..and I just wanted to mention….I’m not 100% sure if HD sells the set…If I am not mistaken They carry other brand items… Lowe’s is the one that carries Porter-cable items…

View Ando's profile

Ando

#7 posted 01-12-2011 10:27 PM

I own this same combo and agree 100% about their quality. great power in a small package. i do HVAC work and it is much nicer to carry this thing around in my bag rather than my 18 volt dewalt. that said, my DeWalt will still be pulled out for bigger jobs. woodjedi, you said you reach for your impact driver now rather than your hammer drill… you may want to re-consider if you are drilling into concrete. the impact driver and hammer drill are not the same. ive heard that impact drivers wont last long if they are used as hammer drills.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#8 posted 01-12-2011 11:17 PM

I am looking at purchasing a new 12V and had a question about this set. Do/have you screwed any 3” screws with this set. If so,do you think it could handle them repeatedly on the fast speed setting?

I know currently, many 12V’s aren’t powerful enough to drill a 3 inch screws unless you have time to waste on the slow setting or only a couple screws to drill. But, as drill technology improves, I believe we will see smaller, more powerful workhorses. Just wondering if were getting closer to this yet:)

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#9 posted 01-12-2011 11:18 PM

I

#10 posted 01-12-2011 11:30 PM

Ando, you are correct, they are not the same.. when i have alot of tapcons to install or concrete to drill i will use my hammer drill with a concrete drill bit instead of changing the bit to a screw tip, i use the PC impact drill to set the tapcons… Dedvw I have not gone into an extensive drilling session with 3” screws, however the screwing I have done with 3” fasteners, I have not had any issues with the drill keeping up with me… I hope that helps…

#11 posted 01-13-2011 06:59 AM

I was just looking in the store at this today may have to buy it tomarrow. My 2, 18v Dewalts get heavy after a while.

#12 posted 01-14-2011 11:43 PM

EXACTLY!!...lol… with these two drills…the FORCE is strong within me…LOL

#13 posted 01-15-2011 09:23 AM

Deke you are a trip.. You and I would get along well….lol… im gonna add you as a buddy if thats ok?