Tightest joiner on the market.

Review by therookie posted 01-09-2011 05:26 AM 6039 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tightest joiner on the market. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After trying to do every single project that I wanted to do without using biscuits, I finally hit a wall that forced me into buying a biscuit joiner. So I went to every place that I could find the joiners for sale, I looked and did a general over view of them all and this one stood out to me because of the lack of up and down play that is not it in it un- like the others I looked at. So all in all, I love this tool and think it is one of my best purchases for $178 with free shipping from amazon.com

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 01-09-2011 05:31 AM

Got one of the first generation biscuit joiners from Porter Cable when they first released it. Been happy with it ever since!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

#2 posted 01-09-2011 08:54 AM

I have one of these, and it gets used all the time. Never a problem, just works, and gets the job done.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

103 posts in 1905 days

#3 posted 01-09-2011 04:19 PM

I also just got one and started my first biscuit project the other day, joining some 3/4 pine for a table top. I really like it except for the dust collector bag. With the bag on, the chute clogs within the first few cuts. Have you had any problems? Fortunately I do have a 1-1/2” hose connected to my dust collection system, and that seems to work well getting it all.

jim

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View Damage Inc.'s profile

Damage Inc.

#4 posted 01-09-2011 04:49 PM

I have this as well and really do like it. I also find that the dust chute will clog if I only use the dust collector bag. If I use my shop vac with an adaptor I don’t have any issues.

One gripe I have it is the case. It’s molded plastic that form fits to the machine. If I forget to put all the adjustments back to “0” it doesn’t fit in the box and the angle guage will get bent. This is not an issue if I remember to reset the machine, so maybe I’m the problem and not the box….

Overall I like the machine and use it a lot and don’t see myself ever getting rid of it.

#5 posted 01-09-2011 04:57 PM

I have just been using the shop vac and directly collecting the dust, have not tried the bag but I dont think I will. And damage the only thing that I have to chang on the machine for it to go into the case is just to flip the fence up and put it in, I dont have to change the depth of the fence.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 01-09-2011 07:28 PM

I also own this puppy. Got it from Amazon, like 7 years ago, $199 with a free box of biscuits! I dont use it much..I prefer pocket screw joinery, but it is a great tool when busted out! I hook it up to an old canister vac that I use for my ROS, and pocket hole jig. It keeps the tool clear of chips and contains the mess!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 01-10-2011 12:27 AM

@ cess, I didnt buy it at Homedepot because when I was in there they had the tool listed at $220 and I found out I count save $40 and not pay tax I was like why not sounds pretty good to me. I mean what would you have done?

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#8 posted 01-10-2011 02:28 AM

I love my 557.

Which just makes me wonder exactly how good the Lamello really is, since—by all accounts—it’s a LOT better than the P-C.

When I win the lottery … I WILL post a Lamello review ;-)

-- -- Neil

#9 posted 01-10-2011 03:43 AM

I look foreward to your review beener.

View Kristoffer's profile

Kristoffer

671 posts in 1939 days

#10 posted 01-11-2011 09:25 PM

Not to say that I am a fan of Ryobi by any stretch, but….. I picked up a gently used Ryobi biscuit joiner for $30 at a yard sale a while back and it has done everything that I have asked of it and paid for itself fifty times+. Now, I am a fan of Porter-Cable tools. But, I saved $148 to put towards other tools and materials. I’m NOT knocking the purchase, but I have found that (in the beginning) there are only a few tools that you don’t want to skimp on. Unless you have unlimited funds, I would look for used (mid grade) tools and save some cash for a nice table saw, band saw and thickness planer. Use the cheaper tools to make money for higher end tools.
Example:
$178 = 1 plate joiner or
$178 = plate joiner + drill press + band saw + drill + belt sander + 1/4 sheet sander. PLUS, biscuits, bits and sand paper. Those six tools have earned me thousands of dollars, made a lot of happy customers and made it possible to replace these tools with an upgraded version. This is NOT an exaggeration! I actually purchased all six of these tools for under $178. Just food for thought for a beginner (especially a younger person building up a tool inventory).

-- Cheers and God Bless

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

#11 posted 01-11-2011 09:42 PM

I bought a factory reconned PC 557 for $50 at an estate sale. It was unused by the fellow that owned it. The widow was about to put it in a pile of stuff to be given away, so I gave her the $$
That was a while ago and I’ve never used it either. Maybe someday.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#12 posted 01-12-2011 04:43 AM

dont drop it

there never the same

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Apex's profile

Apex

#13 posted 01-14-2011 04:50 AM

I have been using the Porter Cable jointer for years. They have many features on them that other brands do not offer. I have to agree with Moron, they do not take well to dropping.

Utah carpenter

-- www.apexcarpentryinc.com

View teejk's profile

teejk

#14 posted 01-19-2011 04:25 PM

the “don’t drop it” comment should have been in ALL CAPS! The depth adjustment stop is cast into the base and is quite “vulnerable”. Like buttered toast, if it falls, guess what off breaks? Several years ago I dropped mine and found out the hard way. I bought the replacement part ($$$ like most replacement parts) but while waiting I managed to epoxy the old one. Yesterday guess what? I dropped it again (I know…fool me once…) I found the replacement and proceeded to disassemble (not bad). Almost home, I got stuck at removing the drive gear (pressed on) so today I go searching for a machine shop with a hydraulic press.

View MakerofSawdust's profile

MakerofSawdust

#15 posted 03-30-2011 10:03 PM

I especially like mine (same) because it does face frame biscuits. My old craftsman biscuit adapter kit for an angle grinder served me well for years, but the PC 557 was the only one that goes small enough to do face frame slots. I love it.

-- - Kevin from Cincinnati. All my work is guaranteed: Three minutes or three feet; whichever comes first.