This is mostly a tool gloat.

Review by docholladay posted 01-07-2011 09:18 PM 5397 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This is mostly a tool gloat. This is mostly a tool gloat. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this jointer earlier this week off of an add that I saw on Craigs List. It is only a couple of years old and I bought it for only $125.00. I haven’t had much time to work with it and it is my first power jointer, but so far I am very pleased with it. The adjustments are pretty simple and easy to figure out (I have the manual, but haven’t even looked at it yet). I took a piece of wood that I had salvaged from a pallet and jointed one side and then squared an adjacent face. I was pretty pleased with the results. In fact, a piece of wood that I thought was poplar turned out to be a very pretty looking piece of beech. Now to figure out what to make out of it. I do have a couple of socket chisels that need new handles. My only complaint so far is regarding dust collection. I actually don’t have it hooked up to DC yet, but I noticed that when running it, very few chips fell out of the shoot. It does make me wonder how effectively it will perform even when connected as it doesn’t seem that the chips are being directed to the dust shoot very effectively. If anyone has any input and feedback regarding DC on this jointer, I would appreciate it.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View docholladay's profile

1287 posts in 2098 days

View CL810's profile

2977 posts in 2027 days

#1 posted 01-07-2011 09:51 PM

I have this jointer and I cannot imagine using it not connected to a DC. On occasion I have forgotten to turn on the DC and the shavings will collect at the discharge side of the shoot. There has to be an obstruction or a missing component for you to see few chips coming out of the shoot. I suggest you disassemble enough of the bottom to identify why you are not seeing more chips discharged.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View docholladay's profile

1287 posts in 2098 days

#2 posted 01-07-2011 10:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback. figured probably that was the case. I don’t have a true dust collector, but usually use a shop vac that I connect to individual machines. Not the best, but it is the best I have at the moment. However, I found it odd that there wasn’t much coming out of the dust shoot. I noticed this when I had chips coming out just about everywhere else. I will take a look at it this weekend and make sure there isn’t an obstruction.

View HokieMojo's profile

#3 posted 01-07-2011 11:27 PM

The old models look so similar to the new model, which are very highly regarded. I was so close to buying one when I found a used 8” jointer (but not at your price!). I hope you get lots of great use out of it.

View gblock66's profile

58 posts in 1946 days

#4 posted 01-08-2011 12:30 AM

That’s a score ! ! ! ! !

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

#5 posted 01-08-2011 01:32 AM

I have the newer version but as stated above is pretty much the same except for color. I noticed that depending on how much I’m planing I might get only dust. It takes at least 1/16” before I get actual wood chips. It doesn’t spray very far either. So if I’m only doing a small job I might not even use my DC and clean up the floor after.

View Jimi_C's profile

#6 posted 01-08-2011 03:14 AM

I have that model too (before they were painted orange, I believe they were made in the US), only difference is I paid $100 more for mine :/ I used to run it without dust collection also, and it was a huge PITA – I’d have to stop every other pass to reach up into the shoot and clear jammed chips. Now I use the Harbor Freight DC and it performs flawlessly.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

#7 posted 01-08-2011 04:46 PM

Thats a nice score.

View Cosmicsniper's profile

#8 posted 01-08-2011 05:32 PM

I got mine (newer orange version) for $214 on closeout from HD. I got a steal…you committed a crime.

-- jay,

#9 posted 01-09-2011 04:31 AM

Shoots he scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE!

View LONGHAIR's profile

#10 posted 01-09-2011 04:24 PM

Why is this listed as “jointer/planer”? This is strictly a jointer, not a combo machine.

View HokieMojo's profile

#11 posted 01-10-2011 05:04 PM

almost all jointers are listed that way. It planes off a surface. Just like a handplane can be used to joint a board.

View schmo's profile

#12 posted 01-14-2011 02:24 PM

Hey All!

I am new here (just granted access yesterday) and am a relatively new woodworker who started putting a shop together this past summer (the kids are finally out of college and the house). My question is which tool should I get first, a jointer or a planer? My shop is small and tools need to be on wheels or bench top type. OH and my goal is to eventually make a couple of Morris chairs (a real stretch goal—I know!!)

I live in central Virginia and don’t see alot of used woodworking tools come through craigs list on a routine basis – so will probably have to purchase new.

My 2nd question is depending on which tool should be purchased first —what brand/modle is a dependable and smart buy? I am not always interested in owning the best top of the line expensive stuff – but rather what is the best quality item for the money.

Thanks in advance for your input.

View schmo's profile

#13 posted 01-14-2011 02:41 PM

UH—I just found the page with all of the tool reviews—newbie error, sorry—- but would still appreciate input on which piece of equipment to purchase first—planer or jointer.

View luthierchris's profile