This is mostly a tool gloat.

Review by docholladay posted 1331 days ago 4297 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
This is mostly a tool gloat. This is mostly a tool gloat. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this jointer earlier this week off of an add that I saw on Craigs List. It is only a couple of years old and I bought it for only $125.00. I haven’t had much time to work with it and it is my first power jointer, but so far I am very pleased with it. The adjustments are pretty simple and easy to figure out (I have the manual, but haven’t even looked at it yet). I took a piece of wood that I had salvaged from a pallet and jointed one side and then squared an adjacent face. I was pretty pleased with the results. In fact, a piece of wood that I thought was poplar turned out to be a very pretty looking piece of beech. Now to figure out what to make out of it. I do have a couple of socket chisels that need new handles. My only complaint so far is regarding dust collection. I actually don’t have it hooked up to DC yet, but I noticed that when running it, very few chips fell out of the shoot. It does make me wonder how effectively it will perform even when connected as it doesn’t seem that the chips are being directed to the dust shoot very effectively. If anyone has any input and feedback regarding DC on this jointer, I would appreciate it.

Doc

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

View CL810's profile

CL810

1971 posts in 1623 days

I have this jointer and I cannot imagine using it not connected to a DC. On occasion I have forgotten to turn on the DC and the shavings will collect at the discharge side of the shoot. There has to be an obstruction or a missing component for you to see few chips coming out of the shoot. I suggest you disassemble enough of the bottom to identify why you are not seeing more chips discharged.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

Thanks for the feedback. figured probably that was the case. I don’t have a true dust collector, but usually use a shop vac that I connect to individual machines. Not the best, but it is the best I have at the moment. However, I found it odd that there wasn’t much coming out of the dust shoot. I noticed this when I had chips coming out just about everywhere else. I will take a look at it this weekend and make sure there isn’t an obstruction.

Doc

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2362 days

The old models look so similar to the new model, which are very highly regarded. I was so close to buying one when I found a used 8” jointer (but not at your price!). I hope you get lots of great use out of it.

View gblock66's profile

gblock66

That’s a score ! ! ! ! !

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

I have the newer version but as stated above is pretty much the same except for color. I noticed that depending on how much I’m planing I might get only dust. It takes at least 1/16” before I get actual wood chips. It doesn’t spray very far either. So if I’m only doing a small job I might not even use my DC and clean up the floor after.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

I have that model too (before they were painted orange, I believe they were made in the US), only difference is I paid $100 more for mine :/ I used to run it without dust collection also, and it was a huge PITA – I’d have to stop every other pass to reach up into the shoot and clear jammed chips. Now I use the Harbor Freight DC and it performs flawlessly.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Thats a nice score.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

I got mine (newer orange version) for $214 on closeout from HD. I got a steal…you committed a crime.

Grats!

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

Shoots he scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE!

View LONGHAIR's profile

LONGHAIR

Why is this listed as “jointer/planer”? This is strictly a jointer, not a combo machine.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2362 days

almost all jointers are listed that way. It planes off a surface. Just like a handplane can be used to joint a board.

View schmo's profile

schmo

Hey All!

I am new here (just granted access yesterday) and am a relatively new woodworker who started putting a shop together this past summer (the kids are finally out of college and the house). My question is which tool should I get first, a jointer or a planer? My shop is small and tools need to be on wheels or bench top type. OH and my goal is to eventually make a couple of Morris chairs (a real stretch goal—I know!!)

I live in central Virginia and don’t see alot of used woodworking tools come through craigs list on a routine basis – so will probably have to purchase new.

My 2nd question is depending on which tool should be purchased first —what brand/modle is a dependable and smart buy? I am not always interested in owning the best top of the line expensive stuff – but rather what is the best quality item for the money.

Thanks in advance for your input.

View schmo's profile

schmo

UH—I just found the page with all of the tool reviews—newbie error, sorry—- but would still appreciate input on which piece of equipment to purchase first—planer or jointer.

View luthierchris's profile