Harbor Freight Bench Grinder Stand: Solid, great value

Review by Mark Colan posted 1302 days ago 5190 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Bench Grinder Stand: Solid, great value No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

With Harbor Freight, it really pays to go into the store and see what you’re getting, because their product quality varies a lot. I looked first at their “universal tool stand” (big enough for a planer), and found it more than a bit flimsy, due to thin sheet metal construction.

But the bench grinder stand is very solid, made of steel that is 1/16 thick. The parts fit together with holes lining up perfectly, and the design makes the assembly very stable. The bolts and nuts were hard enough to stand up to tightening without breaking off (which happens with some HF hardware).

It is made for HF grinders. As such, the bench top was too small for my grinder. However, I intended to put a wood bench top on it anyway. This wasn’t entirely easy, because the mounting holes for my grinder were spaced close to the width of the bench top. For more info on how that came out, have a look at my Bench Grinder Workstation.

All in all, for $30 (and I think maybe $28 on sale), it was a great purchase.

Mark Colan

FWIW, I am not a HF hater in the slightest. But I have looked at the various HF stands, even owned a few. They put the tools too low for me, and I always ended up stooping to use the tool. Not a knock on the stand, just make sure it puts the tool at a good working height for YOU… For me to be comfortable, I would need the stand to be about 4” taller… Of course this is a good excuse to build and keep a drawer box under the grinder for various grinding accessories…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Mark Colan

I was concerned about the height, too. But I noticed that the stand itself (without the bench top) was already as high as the work bench I used to use with the old washing machine motor grinder, and that height worked out for me.

I did consider building it a bit higher – putting a drawer unit as part of the bench top, on top – but decided I really don’t want to bring the grinder closer to my face.

Thanks for writing!

-- Mark, hack amateur woodworker, Medford (greater Boston) MA

No worries. The difference is the height of the person, not the machine… I am 6’ even, and I HATE stooping due to back problems.. So things tend to go high for me… My workbench that I set my grinder on now is 36” off the floor… If you are shorter, or prefer a more relaxed reach (elbows less bent) then the height is perfect… I did have some HF stands for a while, the unversal tool stands, and I agree, they are fairly well made. I did not like the plastic foot thingies though. I plasti-dipped mine…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Mark Colan

It was the universal tools stand that I thought was a tad flimsy. It was made with thinner metal. The bench grinder stand is the one I used, and it has 1/16” metal, and is quite sturdy.