Triton Router Catches fire. Helpful Customer Service.

Review by Ken90712 posted 1298 days ago 4416 views 1 time favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton Router Catches fire.  Helpful Customer Service. Triton Router Catches fire.  Helpful Customer Service. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For those of you that read my safety in the shop post, Thank-you for all the kind thoughts and words!

I will be replacing my fire Extinguisher today, glad I have them.

First let me say, I have Love my Triton router that I bought in March. I was so bummed all weekend when it caught on fire Fri. It took me a while to find a service center on line, as there is only one Authorized Service Center for Triton in the country, in Fair Haven Mich. Of course with the time change they were closed Fri. so I had to wait all weekend….. Ughhh.

I just got off the phone with their customer service a young woman named Teresa. They went above and beyond to help me. I asked them if it was possible to pay the difference to upgrade to the 3 hp model and they said sure! They will send it right away and then figure out what went wrong with mine so I didn’t have to wait. I paid the 40 some dollar difference plus shipping, so 54 dollars later I have a new router on the way.

Feels good that they stood behind what I feel is a great router. Great way to start the New Year.

View patron's profile

patron

12956 posts in 1939 days

good service
great upgrade

glad it all worked out

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Happy ending to a pretty scary situation.

It’s nice when it DOES work this way :-)

-- -- Neil

View childress's profile

childress

I love it when service like this happens. This should be how ALL companies treat their customers, too bad so few do.

Thanks for sharing bro! Am still curious as to their findings with the “fire” router.

-- Childress Woodworks

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Good deal for everyone!

You will be able to move the workpiece faster through the router with no problem now!

Did they ever get the SLOP out of the Ht. adjustment (from the top) cleaned up?

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

great ending on a scary story :-)
but it woooood beee sooo niiice to have a back call with an update on what coursed the fire in the first place

was it dust in the engine
was it open bearings running hot becourse of dust
etc. etc. or what

just a thought it cuold bee a good idea to know for other users of routers too

take care
Dennis

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

good to know. Customer service (or lack of) is an important factor in all of my purchases.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

Fair Haven is a hop, skip and a jump away from me. What was the name of the service center? With great customer service like this it may be nice to know who they are. They may service other makes also.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

View lilredweldingrod's profile

lilredweldingrod

Hey Ken,
Now this is my kind of vendor. This just adds to the good stuff I keep hearing about Triton. I’m sure my next router will be a BIG Triton. lol (Tim the tool man kicks in quiet regularly when horse power is brought up). It would be nice to see a review on the new unit. hint hint.
This is the way I’ve always been treated by Hitachi, Makita, and Ridgid. I’m going to add Triton to my buy from list tonight based on this experience.
Way to go Triton.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2364 posts in 2036 days

I’ve had the same service from them. They want to make a mark and they will do what is needed to do that. I have the 3 hp.. you’ll like it. It doesn’t bog down in the table at all. even hard wood with big bites. And the crank is nice.

View plantek's profile

plantek

That is good news and a great start to the new year.
Way to go Ken!

-- If you want it and it's within reason... It's on it's way!

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

Thanks for sharing. I always like hearing who stands behind their products and who has good customer service.

-- David from Indiana --

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

Deke
as you very well know
there is no dum question beside those that ain´t spoken

take care
Dennis

Thats a fair question, I was taking it slow and worked my way into the full cut being the router bit is so large. I also slowed the speed down all the way like your required. The Triton router is sealed prevenenting most of the the dust from falling into the routers motor. I had my dust collection hooked up and running at both points under the table and above the table at the fence to prevent wood from accumalating.

The is no fuse or overload button that I could find in the manual or on the unit. Triton thinks this is a fluke and wants to look into it. After researching a little more I’m starting to believe even though this is a Australian Company the product is made in China. Maybe its a quality Control issue.

I have 3 other router’s with over 10 yrs on 2 of them and none of them have burned up. As for everyone approving its just too easy for companies to weasel out of Warranty’s when it comes time to collect. So its nice that they have backed it up.

Hope this helps.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2364 posts in 2036 days

Good point Deke. I guess if it happens to two of them then we’ve got a recall issue. Lots of tool users here. Let’s wait and see. In the mean time, I think I’ll be cleaning out the chips in my router table more often.

View Darren Mullen's profile

Darren Mullen

Hi Ken,

My name is Darren Mullen I am the Design & Engineering Manager for Powerbox International.
We are a UK based company who now own the Triton Brand and all products.
I am sorry to hear that your Triton MOF001KC 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router caught fires and would very much like to learn more why this has happened.

You are correct that the Triton Brand was an Australian owned brand until a couple of years ago when we bought the Company, Brand, and all products. We are now Designing & Manufacturing new Triton products. We have a very close working relationship with the manufacturers of our Routers, who are based in Taiwan. The manufacturers name is DurQ. Quality control and assurance is very important to us and I would very much like to learn more about the incident with your Triton Router.

I have contacted the service centre, HTC Products in Fair Haven to ask them what they have done with the product as I would very much like to review it with our manufacturers.

Have you owned the Router for very long? Did you by chance take a record of the product serial number? I would very much like to get to the bottom of the incident so as to ensure that there are no further occurrences in future products. Also to be able to inform you of my findings.

Please feel free to contact me freely in this matter. You can email me at darren.mullen@pbint.eu

-- Darren Mullen Triton Design