SD508 Freud 8" Dado Set

Review by Ken90712 posted 01-03-2011 01:14 AM 3294 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SD508 Freud 8" Dado Set SD508 Freud 8" Dado Set SD508 Freud 8" Dado Set Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was making some candleholders and my Dado Blades were junk and chipping wood on every cut. Then my local Rockler Store sent me a coupon with 40% off any single item excluding Power Tools. Sweet!, I tell Blondie I’m off to Rockler to save some money… LOL…. The set is $199.00 so that’s 80 bucks off. She brainwashed my sometime ago to always look for sales.

Another story sometime, LOL….

Man, I thought my Forrest Woodworker 2 Blade was something. This set is more than impressive! The blades are heavy! If weight is, any indication I was thinking WOW these are nice as I was holding them in the store. The Chipper’s each come with 4 cutters and rakes on each one in two different sizes, 1/8” and ¼” inch. There are shims as well to achieve all kinds of desired sizes. The book even tells you what combinations to use to achieve the desired cuts taking the entire need for math out of it.

The case is nice and solid and comes with spacers to keep your blades & chippers from hitting one another.

You will have to look at my latest candleholder to see the cuts, as were only allowed 3 pics in this area.

I would give this more than 5 starts if possible….

Thx for reading hope it helps.

15153 posts in 1910 days

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#1 posted 01-03-2011 01:42 AM

A lot of folks love their Freud dado set. You got a great deal. I would prefer to use the table saw verses router to make dados, rabbets, etc, when possible. I rarely buy any wood working tools if not on sale. Your wife is right – “never buy retail”.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 01-03-2011 01:45 AM

I have the SD 606 set. I think the only difference is that mine are 6” and mine has the dial-a-magic feature. I think the cutters are the same. I am SO impressed with how cleanly they cut.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#3 posted 01-03-2011 02:12 AM

How does the freud Super Dado set perform on plywood. I understand that the teeth have a negative hook angle which should be ideal for plywood and laminates, but perhaps not optimum for hardwoods.

I have a 6” Oshlun dado set that does well on all woods except plywood, where there is a lot of tear out.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 01-03-2011 02:55 AM

Freud saw blades and router bits are the sharpest and last longest.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#5 posted 01-03-2011 09:44 AM

ken90712 How long did you have to ignore the 20% off to get to 40% :-) ??

15153 posts in 1910 days

#6 posted 01-03-2011 05:35 PM

Top, The send me so many coupons via mail and e-mail that I always go there.

Right now I have a coupon, “buy one item get 50% off the 2nd item of equal value.

Last itme I used it to buy a Forrest Wroodworker 2 blade and the Incra 1000 Miter Gauge set, both cost just over $100 so I save $50ish not bad being I wanted both. LOL

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#7 posted 01-04-2011 05:29 AM

I got that one too. I know companies target with individual pricing and discounts. I go there quite regularly myself. I need to figure out to access the 50% off without buying the other one :-))

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#8 posted 01-04-2011 10:28 PM

I suspect I know the answer to this but are the combinations listed in the book accurate to the point where you don’t have to bother with trial and error to get the measurement they list?

I’ve had other saw blades and router bits from them and they are all 5 stars with me!
thanks for the review!