Undersized Router bits for Plywood.

Review by Ken90712 posted 01-03-2011 12:53 AM 4711 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Undersized Router bits for Plywood. Undersized Router bits for Plywood. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought these only because they were 1/2 off during Xmas at Woodcraft. I usually just messed with my dado set, or walked it on the router table.

These bits match the plywood that is undersized that we all buy from stores. It makes the joints perfectly and very tight! This makes it very quick to cut in perfect fitting dados on the router table quickly without messing with you table saw. The bits are for ¼, ½, & ¾ inch plywood.
Very nice set to have on hand and would recommend them to you.

View GMman's profile

#1 posted 01-03-2011 01:07 AM

Very good info: thanks

View Joe Lyddon's profile (online now)

Joe Lyddon

#2 posted 01-03-2011 01:13 AM

That’s good to know…

Can we really rely on the plywood being those sizes? I thought I read/heard that the ply can be any ole size… (??)

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile

#3 posted 01-03-2011 01:17 AM

I have a set and they seem to fit 99% of the time. I made a small test block out of a scrap piece of plywood that I use as a gauge to check a piece of plywood.

It seems that the few times that the bits were not a first time fit, the plywood was a bit too thick. All it took was a little sanding along the edge that would go into the dadoe and it was good to go!

I would also strongly recommend this set for anyone that does an appreciable amount of cabinet work.

-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View 8iowa's profile

#4 posted 01-03-2011 02:20 AM

I’ve just done a project using two different “brands” of 3/4” birch plywood. The Chinese stuff measures .686” and the American is .730.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Woodwrecker's profile

#5 posted 01-03-2011 02:22 AM

It’s nice to have a set of those around.

-- Eric down in sunny Florida.

View lew's profile

#6 posted 01-03-2011 03:27 AM

I have to agree with 8iowa. I have noticed a large variation in plywood thicknesses- both from the country of origin and also hardwood veneered compared to construction grade (A-C).

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#7 posted 01-03-2011 03:32 AM

Whiteside bits are the best!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana,

View 8iowa's profile

#8 posted 01-03-2011 05:28 AM

An important point to consider; when making hundreds of thousands of 4×8 sheets, the difference between .686 and .730 represents big $$$$$$$.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Pete_Jud's profile

#9 posted 01-03-2011 08:30 AM

I have a whole bunch of Whiteside bits. The hold a edge better than any other noncomercial bits that I have. I bought my undersized bits one at a time, I did not know that Whiteside was offering them as a set. That is good to know.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.