Undersized Router bits for Plywood.

Review by Ken90712 posted 1296 days ago 3633 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Undersized Router bits for Plywood. Undersized Router bits for Plywood. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought these only because they were 1/2 off during Xmas at Woodcraft. I usually just messed with my dado set, or walked it on the router table.

These bits match the plywood that is undersized that we all buy from stores. It makes the joints perfectly and very tight! This makes it very quick to cut in perfect fitting dados on the router table quickly without messing with you table saw. The bits are for ¼, ½, & ¾ inch plywood.
Very nice set to have on hand and would recommend them to you.

View GMman's profile

GMman

Very good info: thanks

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

That’s good to know…

Can we really rely on the plywood being those sizes? I thought I read/heard that the ply can be any ole size… (??)

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile

FirehouseWoodworking

I have a set and they seem to fit 99% of the time. I made a small test block out of a scrap piece of plywood that I use as a gauge to check a piece of plywood.

It seems that the few times that the bits were not a first time fit, the plywood was a bit too thick. All it took was a little sanding along the edge that would go into the dadoe and it was good to go!

I would also strongly recommend this set for anyone that does an appreciable amount of cabinet work.

-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

I’ve just done a project using two different “brands” of 3/4” birch plywood. The Chinese stuff measures .686” and the American is .730.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

It’s nice to have a set of those around.

-- Having fun...Eric

View lew's profile

lew

I have to agree with 8iowa. I have noticed a large variation in plywood thicknesses- both from the country of origin and also hardwood veneered compared to construction grade (A-C).

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

Whiteside bits are the best!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

lew:

An important point to consider; when making hundreds of thousands of 4×8 sheets, the difference between .686 and .730 represents big $$$$$$$.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Pete_Jud's profile

Pete_Jud

I have a whole bunch of Whiteside bits. The hold a edge better than any other noncomercial bits that I have. I bought my undersized bits one at a time, I did not know that Whiteside was offering them as a set. That is good to know.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.