Dust Collector.

Review by Ken90712 posted 01-03-2011 12:39 AM 3692 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Collector. Dust Collector. Dust Collector. Click the pictures to enlarge them

The only reason this did not get a 5 Star, is the Directions & the casters! I have to get new ones as they’re junk! Why they would not include better casters, I have no idea.

For the money and CFM rating along with the 1 Micron Bag being standard, I felt this was the best bang for your buck. At $259.00 plus shipping I thought it would be better than trying to make a Harbor Freight one work. Not there is anything wrong with a HF one for those of my Fellow LJ’s that have them. I have been trying to buy tools that will last and do not have to upgrade even if it costs a little more up front. Just a personal choice I make.

I am really impressed with this machine now that I have used it for a while. I have noticed such a big difference in the shop. I put in a floor sweep and hooked up all my tools & wow has cut down on dust while keeping the shop so much cleaner. She runs very Quiet as well, which is nice to say the least.

A would recommend this to anyone but before you bother to put it together get NEW CASTERS! Once that heavy motor is mounted, it will make it more difficult to do.

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 01-03-2011 03:23 AM

Even though you said it was quiet, have the neighbors complained? Our neighbors are so close that I’m afraid to try and put one of these outside.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Jim's profile

Jim

#2 posted 01-03-2011 03:47 AM

I have this DC and it is quieter than my shop vac. I have had mine going one 2 years and still works great. Only wish it was shorter.

-- Jim in Cushing Oklahoma

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#3 posted 01-03-2011 06:13 AM

I have a cyclone dust collector system from Penn State and am very pleased with their product. I put a cyclone muffler on it and it is quieter than a shop vac.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#4 posted 01-03-2011 06:28 AM

At nearly 8 feet tall , it wouldn’t fit in my basement workshop : (
Thanks for the nice review and the link : )

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1998 days

#5 posted 01-03-2011 02:01 PM

I have the same DC but with the canister and it does a nice job.

I have mine hooked to one of those trash can pre separators so that I don’t have to change the bag very often or worry about big chips hitting the impeller.

It’s just a necessity to control the sawdust that jointer, planers, router tables, and saws etc. generate.

View Skylark53's profile

Skylark53

#6 posted 01-03-2011 03:51 PM

Nice rig. Thanks for the info.

-- Rick, Tennessee, John 3:16

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

#7 posted 01-03-2011 05:02 PM

I have had the same unit as Cato for about 1-1/2 years and have been happy with it. I do not have problems with the casters, but I keep mine in one place in the shop. As Cato said, I would recommend getting a trash can cyclone collector. It makes a huge difference, especially with a jointer, planer, and the floor mess. You won’t have to change out the bags nearly as much, which is a pain with this unit.

You will be happy without that mess to deal with anymore. My (early) Christmas present was an air filtration unit, with has made a difference with the fine dust in the shop.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

#8 posted 01-03-2011 06:02 PM

Thx all , I’m getting the trash can as suggested. Changing the bag alone in annoying to say the least.

It is like mentioned above Lew, VERY quiet, more so than my shop vac which is decent and not as loud as some.

It is very tall, and we have 8 foot walls so noise not real problem, Although can’t use it when raining here in So California. Which it has been raining frequently for a month now. Were making up for it this yr, but it will be nice here again LOL

View joirishman's profile

joirishman

#9 posted 01-27-2011 05:36 PM

I just got the 1 micron canister filter version of this unit. I have to admit, I think for the money, it seems to be the best 120v unit you can get. The one I received looks more like the 2hp unit on their website, with the only exception being the motor is 1.5 hp. I think this is great because it means it’s a stronger base and overall assembly seems better (only what i’ve gleamed from the website). Not sure if they changed the model or not, but I was happily surprised.

It’s a little loud, but not as loud as my shop vac, and a lower frequency which is nice.

Like others, it would be nice if it had a handle to move it with, but there’s plenty of space to add one when I add my accessory holders to the base.

Also, for those that are space conscious, the canister version is shorter overall than the bag style. My kit included the bags if I ever wanted to use it, but I doubt I will, having the canister. I could measure it, but I’d guess 12-16 inches shorter.