A 90% Positive Review

Review by newbiewoodworker posted 01-02-2011 02:39 AM 1269 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A 90% Positive Review A 90% Positive Review No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Using money I had gotten for my Birthday(ahead of time) and Christmas(gift cards for Lowes.) I bought a Porter Cable Drill and Circular Saw combo kit… $90… thats $10 cheaper than just the drill. Granted I did give up the Hard Case for the Soft Bag. It seemed common sence. I dont use the bag/cases much anyway…

So alright, its no DeWalt. But its better than what I am used to. Now, yea, I have trouble with almost everything D/PC, but I figure maybe Ill have better luck with something like this. After all, atleast this one doesn’t have bad reviews.

The Circular saw works okay. Its 6 1/2 inch, so its a little smaller than what I have used before. But its quite. It stops on a dime. And did I mention quiet… The only noise it makes, is one when it cuts through the wood… no load=no noise…

The drill is a “beast”.. I used it to finish torquing in a screw for the TBox. Unfortunately, unlike my other drill, max torque litterally destroyed one of them…. I just sanded it down, and left it at that… So I think I will be keeping low torque..
—-The ratcheting chuck is nice, it really tightens down… my other one always slipped..

The batteries are nice. They really balance both tools. They are not too too heavy. They also are spring loaded, and low in sideways, rather than like my old one, that was the old “stick 18v”... These too are 18v, But when you press the button, it doesn’t fall on your toes…
—-The batteries also came with protectors, for the contacts, so when you arent using one battery, its protected.
———-Another point, it comes with 2 NiCad Batteries. The Charger doesn’t allow overheating/charging, and warns of bad batteries(so it says…) Unfortunately, it lacks provisions to hang on a wall. It also doesnt disconnect from the plug, so a Large hole is needed, if you plan to route it into a cabinet..

Over all, time will tell, if it is going to prevail… or be another PC tool…

For the $$$ its worth it, in my eyes. For $90, I now have a Drill and a Circular Saw. But the Charger is enough of an inconvience, that I say 4/5.. It takes so little time, to drill a hole, that they could have done it, rather easily… now I have to put a large hole in my cabinet…

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#1 posted 01-02-2011 04:08 AM

I have had the 4 piece set with these two pieces, a reciprocating saw and a flashlight for a little over a year now (I think), and I have quite liked my set. The drill is the highlight of this set, by far, and the circular and reciprocating saw have both been convenient. The flashlight is a toss-in, as far as I am concerned, but I have used it a time or two.

The two saws eat the batteries pretty quickly, but the drill/driver has a pretty decent life to it. Honestly, both of the saws are underpowered, but for an 18V set, they are as expected. You will never, however, confuse them for their plug-in cousins. I mainly use my reciprocating saw for trimming branches in the yard, and it does that duty quite well, but I would NOT want to use it for demolition work! The drill alone has been worth what I paid for my set, so I count anything from the saws is bonus territory.

I wouldn’t recommend these for job-site tools, but if my experience is any indication, your set should hold up quite well with regular home-owner type use.

-- David from Indiana --

#2 posted 01-02-2011 05:05 AM

Without a doubt. The drill, like I said, is a “beast”... powerful as hell.

I did go into this, expected a crappy saw, so when I came out with a decent-for-voltage/price saw, I was quite thrillled. 18v up to 100v will never be as good as old-110v/120v… Just like 110v/120v will never be as good as 220v/240v… and so on… but it still cuts…
——I do need to scare myself a little more by it, because I have found myself careless with it, mainly due to lack of noise and “toolly” feel… even cutting, it doesn’t make the same “roar” my grandfather’s corded one does… it also feels definately more plasticy… but, I did a check on every drill in the isle… they are all plastic.. unlike the old corded drill I was used to…

One thing I like about this saw, versus ones like the DeWalt Cordless… is the blade side. I learned on the kind that have the blade on the right side. I am right handed. So it seems to be the “right way”.. Now on those with the blade on the left, it feels dangerous to me.

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#3 posted 01-02-2011 07:07 AM

I have this set but the saw is pretty weak. I tried cross cutting some 4 quarter walnut a few weeks ago, and it wouldn’t do it, even with a fully charged battery.

-- Joe

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#4 posted 01-02-2011 07:18 AM

Joe, that has not been my experience with the saw. I have cut sheet goods and 2X4’s pretty easily as long as the cut is straight, and have even cut 3/4” ash pretty well. Granted, the saw does indeed have trouble if you get the blade twisted or if you try to go to fast, but this does not sound typical to me. Are you sure you were cutting straight? What was the feed rate? Was this a dull blade? No insult intended—just trying to figure out the problem. . .

I’m NOT saying the saw is all that powerful, but it has been my experience that it is definitely able to cut 4/4 stock.

-- David from Indiana --

#5 posted 01-02-2011 09:45 AM

I noticed the stock blade is kinda crappy. Is it the stock blade?

Granted it works for me… but then again, I use and mill down, only construction lumber… occasionally some 4/4.. Pine is as much as I can afford….lol… maybe when I have every tool I need, then I can move up to Poplar… but even tha twill strain my budget.. :)

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

#6 posted 01-02-2011 06:14 PM

I just got that drill this christmas, you are right that drill kicks some real power, especialy when you set it on it’s 2 speed. I also like how long the batteries last.

Thanks, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#7 posted 01-03-2011 04:44 AM

David

I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to analyze the situation. I only had two cuts to make, so I just grabbed a hand saw. Since you haven’t had any problems I’ll try it again when I have enough time to see if it’s the saw, blade, or what ever.

I got the set last summer on sale and was mainly after the screw driver, so I haven’t used the saw more than an hour or so since then. It still has the stock blade in it, so a better blade would give it the best chance to prove its worth.

-- Joe