Powermatic 54A 6" Jointer

Review by Dale posted 02-29-2008 05:38 PM 4360 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic 54A 6" Jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this jointer about a year ago as I was building a kitchen table. It has been great! It is very heavy which helps eliminate any vibration. I also bought the mobile base that goes with it – necessary for a small shop like mine. I have run alot of hard maple and red & white oak through the jointer with no problems at all. It is very powerful and does not bog down whith the largest beams run through it. The extra long beds are awesome! They make jointing long boards so much easier than some of the short bed jointers out there. The dust collection works great too. All in all there is no better 6” jointer on the market in my opinion.
Dale

-- Dale, Pittsburgh PA - www.flytyingstation.net

View Dale's profile

Dale

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

#1 posted 02-16-2009 05:04 AM

Looks like a very nice jointer I see them at my local woodcraft if I was going to get a 6” that would be a top choice. Years ago I had a 6” jet and hated the warped castings sold it bought and got a 6” Delta bench top model and have nothing but good to say about that little guy but I now have a room for a 8” but the cost of a Powermatic and the fact woodturning is my main gig, thinking a 8” or 10” Grizley w/spiral
Thanks for the review
Jeffrey P

-- Cosmicturner

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#2 posted 08-07-2011 12:54 AM

Have you ever had to adjust it? Mine is the pits.

View coloradoclimber's profile

coloradoclimber

#3 posted 08-07-2011 05:47 PM

I have this jointer and I’ve never had a problem with adjusting the depth of cut. When I first bought this jointer I was used to using a hand wheel to adjust the depth of cut so I was not sure what I thought of this handle adjuster . Now I really like it. I can make large adjustments quickly, full travel, by pushing the lever up and down and then tune the final position by twisting the handle. With a hand wheel you are cranking all day to make a large adjustment (but to be fair I almost never ever adjust the depth off of 1/32). I’ve never had a problem with my adjuster handle and it works smooth and easy.