SawStop Dust Collection Blade Guard & Over Arm Dust Collection

Review by Darell posted 1338 days ago 8436 views 3 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Dust Collection Blade Guard & Over Arm Dust Collection SawStop Dust Collection Blade Guard & Over Arm Dust Collection SawStop Dust Collection Blade Guard & Over Arm Dust Collection Click the pictures to enlarge them

Received this dust collection system for Christmas. Goes to show that momma pays attention when I send her hints. LOL! Anyway, installation is very easy and straight forward. The biggest issue, at least for the Contractor Saw is that the splitter & riving knife are slightly thicker with this upgrade. The old splitter/riving knife being .079 and the new one .090. This means you will need to readjust the riving knife lockdown clamp slightly so there isn’t to much pressure on the locking lever. Thin kerf saw blades are 3/32 or approximately .094 so it still works with thin kerf blades. The blade guard mounts just like the old one. This system comes with a new ZCI for the contractor saw. The slot for the blade is not pre-cut on this ZCI so you just follow the instructions and do it yourself. Takes about 2 minutes. The Over Arm Dust Collection kit is also easy to install. The clamps for the tube are anchored with set screws to the bottom of the fence rail in two locations, leaving the required distances from the instructions to allow for hose attachment and balance. Then the tube us slid into place and tightened down. The top tube is fitted into place in the bottom tube, the hoses attached from the blade guard to the tube and from the lower tube to a new dust collection outlet that comes with the kit. Hook up your DC hose and you’re ready to go. I cut up some old scrap plywood to try it out and it works as advertised. This will help a lot with the dust collection on this saw. Glad momma bought it so I didn’t have to.

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

Isn’t it nice when something good comes from all the dropped hints? Looking at the pictures it looks like it will fit the bill for dust collection, but just wait, the hater will be along in a little bit to complain.

Nice review and nice looking saw Darrell. Enjoy it!

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

View zzzzdoc's profile

zzzzdoc

Looks nice, Darell. And thanks for posting the review. I take it that you were more nice than naughty this year???

In picture #2 the DC wye is not connected, and it is at the bottom of picture #3, right?

Isn’t the new ZCI a nice improvement too??

-- Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

View tedth66's profile

tedth66

That’s NICE!!! Alan and I are no doubt jealous.

-- Ted

View PCM's profile

PCM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been thinking about this upgrade for my saw.

Darell

Alan, the wye is connected in both pics. I guess it just doesn’t show up well in that pic. To much black in that area. I think the hose is blocking itself too. Got some other pics. If I can find time I’ll see if I can get them posted tomorrow. And, yes, I must have been nicer than I thought. :-)

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

thanks for the review. ShopNotes (I think) had the plans to build something “similar” a while back that I’ve been thinking of building. Knowing the priniples work makes me more inclined to get/build something to do the trick :D
thanks!

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Very nice…I would love to rig something like that up for my Unisaw….sometimes when I make the smaller cuts, or I use a zero clearance insert, I get alot of sawdust in the face…

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

Thanks for the review. I’ve got the SS contractor as well, and was wondering how it worked.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

Nice. One question, though: the arm looks pretty awkward. How is the strength of that? Do you think it will take a knock without crumpling? Obviously you won’t want to do chin-ups on that, but I am interested in how you think it will hold up if it gets accidentally knocked around a time or two.

Thanks for the review! The SS is definitely on my list of “someday” items!

-- David from Indiana --

Darell

No, you wouldn’t want to swing on it. The top tube actually swings around in the bottom tube. It’s not anchored or attached. Just drops in place. In a situation where you need to take the blade guard off, like cutting dado’s or thin strips you could remove the top tube from the bottom tube and it would be completely out of the way.

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

Nice. Thanks for the info. That sounds like a pretty convenient set-up.

-- David from Indiana --

View DrAllred's profile

DrAllred

Very nice review, let us know how well it works. I have the same saw and have been keeping my eye on this addition.

-- David, Mesa Arizona

View Gator's profile

Gator

Brian.. you are too funny.. not only a Sawstop, but a contractor dust collector as well…. man is Darell ever in for it..LOL..

Darell,
Great review.. I have been considering upgrading my ISS with this blade gaurd..
I see not only do we chose the same brand of saws.. but we also have the same “Guard Dog” on duty… is it brilliant minds think alike, or.. fools never differ..LOL

Enjoy your dust free work zone..

Gator

-- Master designer of precision sawdust and one of a kind slivers.

View CANDL's profile

CANDL

I beleive I just saw where this is a freebie on the 3Hp PCS from 1-1-11 till 3-30-11 in Woodworkers Journal. A $199 savings … glad I waited till after Christmas

View Bill Davis's profile

Bill Davis

Alternative may be in the offing. http://www.whirlwindtool.com/