Modernize your Band Saw

Review by Brad_Nailor posted 12-30-2010 01:36 AM 3064 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Modernize your Band Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was lucky enough to receive one of these for Christmas this year. It is really well made like all the other Carter products. The instructions were concise, with lots of pictures. It’s pretty straightforward to install. You have to disassemble the whole top of the bandsaw, but it’s easy. The tricky part was lining the toggle assembly up parallel to the tensioner, and marking the holes. You drill two holes to mount it and they even include the drill bit! Then you just put the saw back together and put the arm all the way up, and tension the blade like normal. It works flawlessly, and its well made and feels quality. Almost every new bandsaw made these days has a tension release arm like this one, and I think this although a pit pricey, is a great way to upgrade a basic bandsaw to a great bandsaw! Overall, I give it 5 stars…It’s well made, relatively easy to install, and functions as advertised. Here are some more pics of the installed device..

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#1 posted 12-30-2010 09:19 PM

David—I added one of these when I bought my Jet 14” last Spring and can vouch for the accuracy of your review!

—Gerry

View woody57's profile

woody57

#2 posted 12-31-2010 04:34 AM

I recently put one of these on my 20yr old delta and it works great.
Should have done it years ago.
It’s a great upgrade.

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

#3 posted 12-31-2010 06:24 PM

Carter makes great products, for sure. A great addition for the saw, although for the price I am not sure I would have added one on a Jet bandsaw…. I used to be a salesman for major brands of woodworking machinery and tools and I own a Jet bandsaw; don’t care too much for them, to put it politely.
Thanks for the review. Nice upgrade.

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

—Gerry

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#5 posted 01-01-2011 04:32 PM

OK…I’ll bite….what is so wrong with the JET 14” closed stand band saw? I am familiar with the tension casting being under engineered and bending due to normal tension over the years. When I bought this saw the piece was rubbing against the upper wheel. I ordered the replacement kit for around 50 bucks and its perfect now. Sure, the guides are basic, and there’s no fancy features on it..but when I have it properly tuned up it cuts decent..I still need to buy a Timberwolf blade for it. I also plan on upgrading the guides to Carters, and with all that done it should be a kick ass saw. I guess if I payed full price for it new and then added all the upgrades I could get a better saw for the same money..but this was a Craigslist find, and even with the upgrades I think I will end up with a solid bandsaw. So Scott, let me hear why you think JET bandsaws are no good?

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248