Trend T4 Trim Plunge router

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 1311 days ago 4449 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 4.5
2 reviews total
Add my Review

Trend T4 Trim Plunge router Trend T4 Trim Plunge router Trend T4 Trim Plunge router Click the pictures to enlarge them

I sold couple of my routers. Mainly the Ridgid trim router is gone and also my Dewalt DW621 which could have been the most perfect light weight router if it wasn’t for ……..
Still have my favorite router DW625 and a second favorite Hitachi M12. But they feel heavy these days. Mainly in table use now. and my Stanley trim doesn’t have plunge so, I’ve had my eyes on this lightweight from Trend.
well, here’s the

Pros:
Nice looking
Plunge Lever action lock ( my preference for plunge routers)
A lot of power
Variable speed
Light weight
Low center of gravity
Well Balanced.
Removable router from base for freehand engraving.
3 position plunge dept adjustment.
Dust collection attachment.(Not Tested)
Nice case with extra collets and fence and guide bushing.

Cons:
Plunge Rods have slight play in unlocked position (critical for accurate work). no play when locked.
Router shaft/bit not 100% perpendicular with base plate. (Critical for accurate work). could be the one I have.

Normal:
Loud at max speed

So, if you are not a router and precision fanatic like I am than this is the best trim /plunge router bar none otherwise, you won’t get passed the cons.

View Howie's profile

Howie

My first experience with a Trend4 was not pleasant. Fifteen minutes use and it quit. However, Trend made it good and it has turned out to be a most useful tool. I have other routers also but bought this one for the plunge effect for inlays. So far it has lived up to my expectations.
Good review,you hit all the pros/cons I see too.

-- Life is good.

THX Howie.
At this point I’m not sure I will be keeping it. It’s just that there’s nothing else out there.The cons I listed are so close that I may overlook them/ put up with them? (Obviously if the router bit is not 100% perpendicular to the base from all sides, router can never be used for some operations.) MLCS has a Trim/plunge but that one doesn’t have Plunge Lever action lock.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

I have looked at this router as it was very inexpensive on sale >$100.00.
Now I am also looking at the new De Walt, small plunger+fixed base router.

Routerisstillmyname

Good point Bert, But unfortunately DWP611PK does not have what I consider essential Plunge Lever action lock. That is why I sold my DW621. lock handle is useless to me. otherwise Dewalt makes best/most accurate/balanced routers. Also $200 vs $100. 200 way too much for a trim router.

” Plunge Lever action lock” i
I did not know that and I agree with you that a lever is much more user friendly.
Thanks

View Howie's profile

Howie

I ordered the one from MLCS and sent it back because of the lack of plunge ability. The Trend was the only one I could find to do what I wanted to do.(I like the lock lever too)
Bert: I got my Trend about a year ago so I don’t know about the DeWalt other than looking at them. It looks like a nice unit but at this point I’m replacing most of my DeWalt cordless stuff and not buying anymore of their tools. Reason being their replacement parts are way too expensive(case in point motor for 788 scroll saw is 214.00, batteries are 75.00 + each)

-- Life is good.