Harbor Freight Air Saw

Review by Raymond posted 1309 days ago 3260 views 0 times favorited 35 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight Air Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently purchased this air saw from Harbor Freight. It has worked well right out of the box. It is quiet with almost no vibration. Blades are a little expensive and are not a standard blade. Although I am working on a fix for that. At 17.99 I could not go wrong. I use if for both wood and metal work.

From Harbor Freight Specs

Cut a wide range of materials, trim and shape light plate, sheet metal and plastics.
Zip through sheet metal as thick as 16 gauge
Air consumption: 3 CFM @ 90 PSI
Cuts rods, pipes and bars with speed and efficiency
9000 strokes per minute
Lightweight – weighs less than two pounds
Rugged die cast aluminum body with rubber grip
Replacing item# 113
Blades sold separately.
Air inlet: 1/4” NPT
Length: 9-1/4”
Length of stroke: 3/8”
Shipping Weight: 1.66 lbs.

Raymond

Before I get fussed at. I had NOTHING to do with this review…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View tomd's profile

tomd

One is an air saw the other is an air file.

-- Tom D

Roper

I will agree that HF tool are of poor quality. I bought this air cutter about a month ago and really like it, it’s light weight but very powerful, and for only 25 bucks compared to the 200 for a Chicago when it does break and it will I will just return it for another.

Roper

What are you trying to say to me Charlie, no one is pushing anyone to buy anything. If you have the money buy the best tools. I am a poor student and woodworker with a family I buy what I can afford.Those are some nice projects you got there Charlie.

Roper

Pictures worth a thousands words.

Roper

If you spent the time to show it people may want to buy it. I can only guess your stuff isn’t really worth it. I think my stuff is worth showing off, and I do sell my stuff.

Roper

Wow 30 years thats a long time, I am sure you must have made something in all that time that you would want to show off. I am not sure if you are calling me a cheap fool so I will let that slide,THIS TIME. I am a woodworker that is what I do , I build things to sell and I teach others how to build things and be safe about it. So anytime you would like to show me some of your wonderful work I will be here. Until then you know nothing about me or my work.

Roper

I am sorry that you spent so much time helping someone that did no say thanks. I am very interested in being a wood teacher, woodworking is a dieing art that I feel I can bring people back to. Yes the market at present does suck,but things will change,they always do. I do not promote any tools or manufactures , they can do that for them selves,and yes most HF tools really suck. Thanks for an enjoyable morning,but I need to get my creative juices flowing.Hope you had a great holiday.

View tomd's profile

tomd

As to the tools I have bought alot of junk from HF but I have also got a few gems. For 10 years I did wood turnings on a HF, Jet clone lathe. If you look at my projects, the turnings that is, all of them where turned on that lathe. During the 10 years I saved my pennies and now have a PM3520B, but I learned alot from that HF lathe. I have found a few other gems also that’s why I like to read reviews of HF tools so we can seperate the junk from the gems.

-- Tom D

Raymond

Wow, I had no idea I would start something like this. No body was pushing anything. I have many Harbor Freight tools and some are better than others. I also have Craftsman, Delta, Atlas, Ridgid Skill, Porter Cable, to name a few. All have there strong points. I don’t make my living with my tools, however over the years I am at least breaking even with what I sell, allows me to purchase additional tools. For me this is a hobby not a business. My reviews were my opinions. And i have another review in the works for a PreformX sliding miter saw. There not top of the line but they work for me. If I can pick up something at Harbor Freight and it works for me I will share it with others, if it is a piece of crap I will share that as well wether it be from Harbor Freight or another manufacture. I also can’t see spending 100.00 or 1000.00 on a tool when I can purchase a tool of similuar quality at Harbor Freight, there dust collector is second to none, there band saw is outstanding, there wood latle works like a charm. I believe that Harbor Freight and other suppliers like that have allowed people to afford get into wood working and metal working that other wise would not be able to afford to.

Sorry if I upset the apple cart. Bottom line is enjoy what we do. Be good to each other. Remember Christ was a carpenter and he didn’t have “Brand Name Tools” and look what he created.

Raymond

I understand what you are saying I would by American Made and I do when I can. This will quickly sink to political discussion and this forum is not the place for that. If Delta or Jet would price the tools which are for the most part manufactured over seas, with in the afordable range, I would most definatly purchase them. I can’t justify 500.00 for a Delta band saw when the Harbor Freight Band Saw is almost identical and 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price. And for all I know the came off the same assembly line. You are right in that we should purchase American Made products I agree 100%. If it can be done overseas, then we can most definatly do it here at home. That being said. if a tool I purchase at Harbor Freight works for me and is afordable and breaks but it was something that I found indespensable, then I would most definatly purchase one of higher quality. But if it is something that i use only occasionaly like an Air Saw, then why spend 100.00 for something when I can get one for 20.00. Just makes sence to me.
It would be intersting to know who actually manufactures and where the brand name tools actually are manufactured. I think it would be a real eye opener. Anyone have a list of who and where Delta, Jet, Porter Cable, Ridgid, Craftsman, Grizzley tools are manufactured.

Raymond

I agree, however until a company steps up and starts manufacturing quality or even reasonable quality tools made here in the US at a reasonable price. I will continue to purchase what I can afford from who every can provide it. I like to purchase experienced tools (used) and I have several, my metal lathe (atlas) my jointer (delta), my radial arm saw (craftsman). These are all good tools my metal lathe is almost 50 years old. Will my Harbor Freight Milling machine be here 50 years from now? Probably not. But in the mean time I have a Milling Machine that I can do some cool things with for less that 350.00$, if I waited till I could afford a US made one I would not have one. So what do we do? I agree buy US made when we can, write the tool manufactures tell them we want to purchase US made products. Tell our government we want the jobs that come from manufacturing these tools to be here in the US. But are we willing to work for the wages that would allow a company to actually succeed? Look at the Automotive industry, a car costs 30,000.00$ because wages are crazy, if an automaker was paid a reasonable wage cars would be more affordable.

This debate could go on for ever. I will still support my local Harbor Freight there are American employees there and they need to eat to. I will support Delta, Porter Cable, Craftsman, Ryobi, and all the others as well. Lets enjoy this hobby/business what ever you are into, at what ever level you can afford.

Raymond

I don’t blame the American Worker for wanting a livable wage. In fact I want the American worker to make a good living. I don’t make a ton of money. I work two jobs, and work 7 days a week to provide for my family. My wife has her own business providing in-home health care 3 days a week. We are by no means wealthy, but we don’t go without. We some how manage to live comfortable and still manage to tithe 10% of our income to our local church. “I know how we manage this, it is by the hand of the lord”. We live in a nice house on 5 acres. If we want something we plan for it we save for it. I don’t see the problem with incomes in management or CEO’s. The problem is people and companies living above there means. I have a HF band saw paid about 200.00$ for it. I could have bought a Delta and spent 400.00 or more, but the HF saw does what I need it to do and left me 200.00 to do other things with. If we as a people and a county live within our means we would all be better off.

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

Thanks for the review Raymond. I think I need to look a little close at HF tools. I have always considered their tools to be something to avoid becasue of lower quality, but the more I look at their tools, the more I change my mind.

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Roper

Raymond,do you really think management and CEO’s are paided fairly?What about the insane bonuses they give them selves while laying employees off.