Grizzly G0656P 3HP Jointer First Look

Review by Kevin posted 1340 days ago 5406 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0656P 3HP Jointer First Look Grizzly G0656P 3HP Jointer First Look No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

01. Shipping
Placed order on 12/8 and it was shipped out on 12/9. It arrived 60 miles south from me on 12/10. I had to wait at the earliest to 12/14 to get it. Driver didn’t contact me so I had to wait until 12/16 to get it. UPS driver helped me haul it 80 feet into my garage. Both boxes did not have any dings or holes in them
at all. The driver told me they were extra careful with my package. Shipment weighed in at 582 lbs and the jointer fence was a bear to haul I can say that.

02. Hardware List
All hardware was included, some items were already attached to the joiner.

03. Cleaning
Cleaning was as expected. I just used mineral spirits and lots of shop rags. A few spots I’ve not taken the time to get off yet that is on the white part of the fence.

04. Assembling
The next day had a friend come over and we assembled the jointer. It took a little over 2 hours. Everything was straight forward. Even if you do not have any mechanical experience you should be able to follow it pretty easily.

05. Adjusting
Adjusting was really easy. Everything is completely flat and square. I spent probably 15 minutes if that making sure everything was aligned and tuned correctly.

06. Customer support
I contacted Grizzly prior to purchasing the jointer. They always get back the same day if I email in the morning.

07. Conclusion
After jointing several BF I am extremely happy so far. I had looked at the Grizzly 6”, JET 6” and Powermatic 6” for several weeks before checking this 8” Grizzly out. I have done the coin test and it passes with ease. The jointer is actually really quite and does not vibrate like other reviews that I have read. After 16 Hours of use the belt does need to be re-tensioned from what the manual says.

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Congrats, thanks for the review! This one is on my shortlist for upgrading my jointer, if I ever end up doing that…

Any reason, besides budget, you didn’t go with the spiral cutterhead version?

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

Kevin

Thanks. Yeah, it was budget the reason I didn’t go with the spiral.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

Lost my original post. Very jealous of your new machine. Congrats.
BTW – the Polar Bear series is such a great deal for anyone in the market.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

Im curious have you done the coin test, is there allot of vibration?

Kevin

The polar bear series does offer a big value for the consumer seems like. Steven, I have done the coin test and it passes. I have to say I was expecting a lot more vibration from reading online reviews than I thought. I guess the belt is tensioned good because it’s very quite and no vibration. It needs to be re-tensioned after 16 hours or so of use from what the manual reads.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Thats a nice looking jointer. Thanks for the review

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Awwwwwwww.

I’m envious.

If I ever grow up, I’d love an 8” jointer with a spiral cutterhead.

Which is an upgrade you can always do, if circumstances allow, in the future.

Enjoy it !!

-- -- Neil

Thanks guys.

I’ve been out there jointing about 50bf of oak this morning and afternoon. It’s doing good so far. That little spiral cutterhead cost quite a pretty penny looks like. Maybe in the future i’ll upgrade, just have to wait and see.

View moonls's profile

moonls

Nice review Kevin. I’ll have to stick with my 6” Delta which is fine for me at this time. I’ll certainly be looking at the Grizzly if I ever change.

-- Lorna, Cape Cod

Thanks Lorna.

I actually came from a 4” benchtop Grizzly so this is a huge step forward :) Everything is just so much easier seems like, lol.

View Szczuldo's profile

Szczuldo

Oh if only i had the room this would be in my garage already. Sadly by the time I get this the prices are going to go up so I will miss out on that.

-- -Alexei

View Roger's profile

that’s a great addition to your shop, I’m sure. Thanks for the review. Glad to hear some positive things about Grizzly product. If you don’t mind, how big o dent for the wallet??

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

Kevin

It didn’t take up as much room as I thought it would though. At first I wasn’t going to get the 8” due to the size, but I’m glad I did now though.

It was 894.00 total to get it at the house. It was $144 just to ship it since it weighed so much. Soon it’s going to be time to expand the garage :)

View elrond3737's profile

elrond3737

cool deal. I am sure you will own this for many years

View dustprocrastinator's profile

dustprocrastinator

Now, that you have had the machine forsome time, does it still pass the coin test? Has there been any issues with the machine warpping, in another words is it still true? Thanks for any more insight.