Wow, what a way to join wood!

Review by Hawgnutz posted 2326 days ago 3013 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wow, what a way to join wood! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a fantastic way to join wood. It works well with little instruction. This method al,ost will eliminate the need for clamps, as the screw pulls the two pieces of wood togerther for drying!

There are FEW downsides. One is the cost of the jig, but with the time saved over biscuits or dowels, that is a moot point! Another is that the directions state that the drill should spin at least 2000 RPMs to protect the bit. This elimininates many cordless drills, even though their demonstration video shows someone using a cordless drill that only has about 1800 RPMs, max. They recomend a corded drill, which is no big deal. I use a separate driver for the screws, which does not have the RPM requirement.

With a little practice you can use this joinery system to join nearly every kind of woodeorking joinery you will need!

This set is an entry level that can easily be upgraded to the Kreg complete system with a simple addition. It comes with “starter” bag of coarse and fine screws, but you really need more screws than is given. The clamp works great, but if you are going to do this day-in and day-out, I would recommend getting the complete K3 system with the bench clamp and dust collection.

All-in-all, this is a grteat starter set that allows you to upgrade as your skill and budget allows! I heartily recommend this one!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

View Bill's profile

Bill

It sounds like a great set up Hawg. Glad to hear you like it so well.

I wonder why the RPM requirement is there? I do not recall hearing anywhere else of a problem with a drill bit running too slow.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

They say in theior directions, that their drill bit will last longer and cut cleaner with the higher RPM’s. I had to buy a new corded drill for use with this system, but I am sure you could use a higher end cordless with higher RPM of over 1800, but I folowed their directions.. Heck, I even read them too—before I used the tool!

Overall, I am highly pleased with this tool! Rockler even has a quick-change drill/driver system for the Kreg pocket hole joinery.

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

wow… read the directions!! Don’t hear that very often!! :)
We looked at the Kreg set at the last wood show.
I want a cabinet built in my dining room and we figured that this would really make life easy.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Bill's profile

Bill

I just ordered the Kreg master set from Pricecutter.com. They have a bonus offer that includes a pocket jig, a dvd, a booklet, and a right angle clamp for free when you buy the master set. It should be here sometime next week.

Debbie, even Norm uses pocket screws on his constructions so it must be ok!

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I own this exact set and I agree with your review. I got turned on to pocket joinery when I worked at a cabinet shop. It is a versatile and easy way to join wood and is stronger than conventionally screwed butt joints. I went right out and bought the screw assortment kit, the extra long driver, and the right angle clamp. If I had a better bench I would get the bench clamp setup. I would definitely recommend any pocket screw kits to anyone considering trying pocket screw joinery.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

I never used one of these jigs but can see where they would really work will for face frames. I’ve always used dowels for all these years. A person needs to roll his dowels in glue and not just put glue in the hole. You also need to put glue on the drilled ends of your styles and rails before assembling. I never had problems with my dowel joints opening but the plus hear is not having to clamp the frames. I am planning on buying the master set when I start building the shop cabinets. Thank for your posting.

Tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View mark's profile

mark

I just purchased the same kit this past weekend and am very impressed so far. I had to switch to my larger cordless drill to meet the 2000 rpm requirements as my smaller one maxed out at 1600 rpm. Both Drills were inexpensive Ryobi’s picked up at Home Depot. Woodcraft sells the upgrade kit for $40 which adds the bench mount turning it into the master kit.

-- Mark, Norfolk, VA

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I never thought I would have need for one of these, until I started making my kitchen cabinets. Sure beats making all of those mortise and tenons. It’s paid for itself already.

-- Tim

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

The kreg master kit represents one of the best $150 woodworking purchases I have made.

-- Paul

View KregRep's profile

KregRep

29 posts in 1941 days

#10 posted 1941 days ago

I wanted to inform everyone that the model so well reviewed here by ‘Hawgnutz’ (the K3 Standard Pack) is unfortunately no longer available. However, we currently we have 3 main Kreg Jigs available (the Kreg Jig, Kreg Jig Master System, and the Kreg Jig Jr.) at 149.99, 99.99, and 44.99 respectively. Hopefully there’s one jig for any one person’s particular needs.

Also, I saw a question regarding the 2000 RPM recommendation. This is a recommendation based on research at our plant. In our experience, using drills at over 2000 RPM increases bit life and creates a cleaner, nicer looking, more pluggable Pocket-Hole.

If you do not have a drill which runs at over 2000 RPM, there’s no reason to worry. You can use almost any cordless drill and end up with perfectly fine Pocket-Holes. In fact, I’d wager to bet that the majority of Kreg Jig owners probably use cordless drills that produce far less than 2000 RPM.

If anyone else has any more questions, we’ve tried to make the answers as easily available as possible through various web channels!

Good luck, and good woodworking! -KregRep

Join the Kreg JigĀ® Owners Community

Receive the “Kreg Plus” Newsletter

Subscribe to the Kreg Channel on YouTube

Become a fan of the Kreg Jig on Facebook

-- KregRep | Huxley, IA | Join the Kreg Jig Owners' Community: http://kregjig.ning.com

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#11 posted 1941 days ago

I’m sure alot have been sold, and I’m all for American made products, but, I just can’t bring myself to pay that kind of money for something that is made of that much plastic.

View Mike H's profile

Mike H

Woodchuck1957. While I agree that this does seem like a lot of $ to invest in somethings that’s not even a power tool. This item is well made and can save you a substantial amount of time when assembling items.
I made a stand for our cat to sit in the window from some scrapes. Didn’t even have a full plan just an idea in my head and created it and had it assembled in about two hours or less. Legs, top, cross bars for support and even a small shelf area on the stand.

No more waiting for glue to try. Drill the pocket hole, screw the screw in place. put glue in joints that need it and move on. Clamping only when you need until the screws are in place. Keep the project building instead of watching and waiting for glue joints to try and to be able to move on to the next section of a project.

Mike

-- Mike H. U.S. Navy Retired

View newguy's profile

newguy

I purchased the kreg system some time ago and it does work great. Easy to use easy to set up and does a great job.

-- Fred, Parker, Colorado

111999 posts in 2164 days

Thanks for the review

View slash51's profile

slash51

I purchased the Kreg jig K4 model at lowes for $99 and I love it. As a matter of fact it has made my woodworking so much more enjoyable that I find myself looking for ways to use it in almost every project I do. Of all my tools it is definently one of my favorites. I know I sound like a sales rep for them but I’m not I just really like there products. I would definently recommend this jig to anyone that does woodworking either as a hobby like me or as a pro.

-- Jason, Alabama