Dremel Scroll Saw: Sweet!

Review by MsDebbieP posted 2383 days ago 13244 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dremel Scroll Saw: Sweet! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(photo from www.dremel.com)

When I decided to try my hand at working with wood, I thought that I would like to do some scroll work and so I did a little research and decided that I preferred the Dremel. About the time that I had made my decision, the tool came on sale and I jumped at the opportunity and it came home with me.

The Features

Sander :The station comes with the scroll saw and a sanding station on the side, which is really convenient, not only when I’m doing scroll saw work but other small wood pieces as well.

Light : A small flex light is placed conveniently, so you can aim the focused light at the blade and work area of your piece. For me, I also have a big light above my work space and often will turn the saw’s light off.

Blower : Don’t know what I’d do without this! The blower is also on a flexible “hose” so it can be placed according to your needs. I find that if I bump it that it’s only a second before I realize that it isn’t working efficiently. I move it back, smile, and say “thank you for being here!” :)

Quick Release : The quick release tensioning mechanism and the the blade holders are excellent. Now that I’m getting more experienced with woodworking, I find that I can flip those mechanisms and have the blade in and out of the wood so quickly that I don’t lose the momentum of the process.

The blade holder underneath the machine can be a pain in the butt. I don’t know how someone with bigger hands does it. I also haven’t used any other machine so I don’t know if there is a way around it. But, again, now that I have some experience, I can usually install a blade without even looking at the underside.

Vibration : I hear about machines that bounce right off the table – this does NOT happen with my Dremel. We installed it as per directions, with a piece of carpeting under the machine. I have never been bothered by any vibration.

Safety Hold-down : Because it is a safety feature, the hold-down is usually on my machine. It has been handy when the blade breaks and the wood chatters like wild and my heart stops. There have been some pieces that I have worked with that it has been better to remove it. But I’ve tried to work around it so I don’t get complacent and end up in a dangerous situation.

Controls : The variable speed knob is conveniently placed at the front of the machine and it is easy to just reach up and turn the speed up/down to get a smooth cut.

Blades : The station accepts both pin and pinless blades. Again, convenient. It also has a blade storage compartment on the side.

The Table : The cast-iron table top tilts. I have never used this feature so I can’t comment on it.

My Set-Up
The only other thing that I need when using my scroll saw is a drill for making the holes. I have the Dremel “Work Station” that holds my Dremel hand tool. So it’s all set up to do quick drilling and on I go to the scroll work.

The other addition I made to the Dremel was a foot control pedal. Oh yah.. all the difference in the world. I can now keep two hands on the work piece at all times.

My Rating
Overall I am very pleased with my Dremel. It was a very good investment and I’ve never regretted my choice.

Cost
Approximately $300 Canadian.

MsDebbieP

cost: I see that the LumberJocks store has it on special at $160. DOH!!!

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Nice review, one thing about scroll saws, They are safe enough young people, if properly instructed.

Slick looking machine, you should see the ancient scroll saw I have.

It may be as old as myself. I know the motor is, because it came off of my mothers old wringer washer that she

washed my diapers with.

I guess I’ll have to take a picture of it. Maybe I could even run a tool review of it. LOL

MsDebbieP

you Definitely have to take pictures of this … wow.. quite the history.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

At least the photos Dick. That must be a neat contraption.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

I’ll take a picture today. You’ll be able to see my dust collector addition to it.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

I have this saw too. It also has a power take off for attaching the Dremel accessories. You unscrew the disc sander and attach a dremel “cord” thing. I use the little sander wheel more than I use the saw. It also has a nice cast iron table.

Hey… I guess I should do a review. ...

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

Interesting. I have been planning on upgrading my scroll saw sometime in the next few months and rely on this site for practical reviews and info.

Thanks!

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice review. Looks a lot lighter than my Dewalt.

View dalec's profile

dalec

Nice review

Dalec

View John's profile

John

Thanks for the review!

Is that a dustport forward of the sander? That’s a cool feature – but probably contributes to the cramped blade holder below the table?

The sander is a great use of otherwise wasted space – and the ability to drive the flex shaft sounds like a winner. My first tool was a scroll saw without a blower and the Delta I have now with the blower makes all the difference. Good luck with it!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

MsDebbieP

I should take a picture of the lower blade space. I don’t want to give the impression that it’s minuscule. Perhaps someone else with this machine could give their perspective on it.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hello Ms. Debbie;

That’s a neat setup you have there!

Scroll Sawing can really be relaxing form of woodworking, and be done even by children, without having to fear too much for their little fingers. While these can be considered toys by some, the work that can be done with one, even in limited space, can yield rewarding projects that anyone would be proud of.

The amount of plans and project books available for these saws could keep a person busy for a lifetime.

Have fun.

Lee

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1973 posts in 3006 days

I have one of these saws, bought it as a remanufactured $99 special at one of those “Highway Tool Sale” sales. You know, the type, a semi-trailer is quietly pulled into a parking lot, the roadies put up annoying signs all over town, and stay in town for the day before moving onto the next little town. I enjoy going to them, and once in awhile I find something that isn’t much of an investment, but fills a need I have. This scroller was like that for me.

I have been happy with it for the few times I have needed it. It has worked fine for what I paid for it. Previously I had a hobby version of a Delta brand, that sort of quit, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

This saw is for sure no German built scroller that you would want to sit at for hours and make ornate clocks with, but for the hobbyist, and once-in-awhile worker, I think it works fine. If I ever need a good saw I will look at the Hegner, after I win the lottery.

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I now have one of these; I got it for nothing because the fellow had dropped something very heavy on the control panel on the top and shattered it. I fashioned a replacement myself and it works like a charm!!

MsDebbieP

well aren’t you a smartie!!! Congrats on the freebie and on being able to fix it up.

So.. where’s your first project with it!!! :D :D