My New Grizzly G0715P Table Saw

Review by moonls posted 12-16-2010 12:12 AM 11081 views 3 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My New Grizzly G0715P Table Saw My New Grizzly G0715P Table Saw My New Grizzly G0715P Table Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received my saw 4 days after placing the order and am very pleased with this product! With the help of Ellen35, I assembled the mobile base and got the saw up and running with very few set-backs. The hardest part was getting the saw from the driveway down into my basement shop!
The Shop Fox mobile base is very sturdy and makes moving it a breeze.
The wings were installed without much effort and the table is dead flat.
The only problem with installing the rails wasn’t noticed until we discovered that the fence didn’t slide properly due to a slightly protruding bolt head. So the front rail had to be removed and then reinstalled to correct the problem. This was only a tech error not a defect.
As noted in other reviews, the blade supplied wasn’t as good quality so I installed a Freud industrial 50T thin-kerf blade which I’ve been using with good results.
I was surprised that the fence alignment was relatively easy because others had trouble with that. And the quality of the fence is very good.
The riving knife was a little difficult to adjust to the blade because it was hard to reach the cap screws holding the “L” bracket. That’s what Ellen & I were doing in the 2nd picture.
Once the start/stop switch was installed and the saw plugged in (220V), it was time to run the “nickel test”. It passed that with flying colors!
I haven’t started any projects yet but already I love this saw and test cuts have me convinced! I think Grizzly makes a fine product and the 2HP will provide plenty of power for my future woodworking projects.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#1 posted 12-16-2010 12:15 AM

I am so impressed with this saw!
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#2 posted 12-16-2010 12:25 AM

Congrats Lorna! It sure is a great-looking saw and it sounds as if it was in the capable hands of a couple of whiz kids. I have one question regarding the riving knife. You mentioned that you installed a thin kerf blade. Is the riving knife specifically for thin kerf blades? I know mine came with a riving knife intended for a standard blade and I would have to purchase a thin kerf riving knife were I to load up a thin kerf blade. You might encounter pinching which could result in kickback. Best wishes with the new saw. It seems you already love it and rightly so. Isn’t that nickel test fun?

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

#3 posted 12-16-2010 12:43 AM

Hi Lenny, Thanks for the kudos! The riving knife supplied with the saw is thin enough to accommodate a thin-kerf blade and my test cuts were fine! So I don’t anticipate any problems.

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#4 posted 12-16-2010 01:11 AM

Glad to hear it Lorna. Safety first!

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

7151 posts in 2026 days

#5 posted 12-16-2010 01:15 AM

great that you got a new table saw…i know you will love it, have great time with your first project..grizz

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#6 posted 12-16-2010 02:22 AM

A good friend of mine got this saw about a month ago and has been really pleased with it. It is a nice saw for the money. Congratulation on your perchase. A lot of people are pleased with the grizzly product. Have fun and be safe.

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

#7 posted 12-16-2010 03:06 AM

Thanks Grizz & Tom for you nice comments. I look forward to posting projects made with the help of my new saw!

View Simons44's profile

Simons44

#8 posted 12-16-2010 05:15 AM

I previously reviewed this product and finally got to put it to the test yesterday. What a great saw! I even cut extra pieces just because I could!

I’m glad that you tested a thin kerf blade. The manual specifies to use a blade that is thicker than thin kerf, because of the size of the riving knife. I had suspicions that thin kerf would work, thanks for confirming!

Enjoy the saw, I certainly am!
Jeremy

View Szczuldo's profile

Szczuldo

#9 posted 12-16-2010 05:42 AM

i believe i mentioned it in my review that the riving knife was thin enough to be used with (at least) Freud thin kerf blades. Adjusting it was a pain but good to see another good review.

The mobile base may make the saw easier to move but my fingers are getting sick of turning those knobs. I’m situated in a 2 car garage which houses 2 cars so this needs to be moved at the end of the day.

-- -Alexei

View Simons44's profile

Simons44

#10 posted 12-16-2010 07:00 AM

I also have my workshop and have the shop fox mobile bases on my table and band saw. I too a piece of pvc pipe and cut fingers in the end of it to make turning the knobs easier.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7049 posts in 2078 days

#11 posted 12-16-2010 08:11 AM

I am in the market for a new TS but I think that the Grizzly will be way too much to ship… all the way downunder…oh well.
Glad you have such fun toys to play with….

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 2018 days

#12 posted 12-16-2010 02:32 PM

Congratulations Lorna !
Great review,
wishing you many hours of Happy Cutting !

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#13 posted 12-16-2010 02:36 PM

Lorna, that’s a fine looking saw. Congratulations.

#14 posted 12-16-2010 03:44 PM

Thanks eveyone for your input! I also thank Jeremy & Alexei whose reviews helped me decide to buy this saw and I’m sure glad I did!
Lorna

15161 posts in 1912 days

#15 posted 12-16-2010 04:57 PM

Congrats to you on your new Saw! I really like the polar style from grizzly. I have there 14 inch Band Saw and really like it. Look fwd to seeing some projects off this. What type of fence did it come with?